Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

Based on my post, which is better?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so since all u ppl on here know rhinos... i need life advice. ive got the rhino in my sig with mods listed + windshield, black soft top. now first thing is, watcha think it may be worth? has 4300 miles and around 1300 hrs. now where i am. im 16, dont have my license yet, but hope to get it as soon as i can afford it. now i live in a lil country community place and got busted for speedin (limit is 20) and all i can do without gettin in trouble is about 15... and i was going on some land beside this village but got busted there and he told me to stay off his land. so i started ridin down our road. or off to the side where there is a lil dirt 4 wheeler trail. and yesterday i was stopped and told by the owner that im not allowed to ride down there. so i dont really have anywhere to ride unless i ride under 20 mph and avoid the neighbors. now i would like to get a truck before i get my license as i will be building it. shift kit, bore out block, cam, and all that stuff. i have 1500 left from getting the rhino and throwin money at it. (it needs to be jetted btw.) ontop of all this at some point in the next year we will be moving to Alabama and SHOULD have more places to ride down there. now... is it worth keeping the rhino over a truck or should i go ahead and get started on a truck and later down the road invest in another utv (like 2-3 years). any help would be GREATLY appreciated. i know this was a crazy long post...

·
Registered
658 Posts
Keep the rhino, buy a good long bed 2wd truck for $1500.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the opinion but i wont buy a 2wd truck. ill be stuck before i can even get it home. and i plan on keepin my first truck for a LONG time.

·
Holiday Winner!
613 Posts
x2 find a deal on a truck that will work as is. doing a build up on a z-71 is going to cost and will just get you in more trouble for speed. If you want to have a rhino, keep it. Once it is gone it will be hard to get the funds together for another. Something always comes up.:bike4:

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
well the kind of z71 i keep findin can be had for.. around 3500. the bore out and cam would be later. the shift kit would be pretty fast as the clutches in em grab slow which causes extra heat and eventually tranny failure. so that would mainly be for the life of the tranny. also the bore out is mainly to restore lost power, cam to gain some. (nuthin aggressive.) i had looked at about 27 84-91 k5 blazers over 6 months most under 2000 and mom wouldnt go for it. she wont lemme buy nuthin with a few rust holes in it lol. so its soundin like just keep the rhino and wait for summ to break on it again lol (edit) i just got all ur post. accually idk if i wanna keep a rhino. always summ ive gotta fix

·
Registered
69 Posts
X2 on the 2 wheel drive truck. 4X4 trucks are a pain to get unstuck and will rob all your woman chasin money.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats x3. people. i will NOT buy a 2wd truck. i go to the beach all the time (4wd needed) (we drive out) i go offroad a fair amount (4wd DEFINITELY needed) i go though a good amound of mud (4wd DEFINITELY needed) i will NOT own a 2wd truck. if i was gonna do that id buy a honda civic. get my point?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Keep Rhino, continue to save cash, and when you move to Bama, there will be a ton of broke red necks with trucks for sale ( who only drive 4x4's) that will need your money to buy tickets to go see Bama play football. Issue solved!

·
Holiday Winner!
613 Posts
You have to realize that this thread is on a Rhino forum where most folks place value in having a Rhino. Now, if you don't know if you want a rhino and a lifted 4x4 is more your thing, maybe sell the Rhino if you have little opportunity to ride. If your situation changes there will likely be deals to be had on Rhino's in the future. What is the deal with your license? You mention you will get it when you can afford it? I know a lifted 4x4 seems cooler then a card in your wallet, but if you can't afford your license, maybe the truck should wait. Better the police catch you with a license and no truck than the other way around. I have been in your situation the temptation to drive that cool truck is going to be high, particularly if an attractive young woman wants you to take her to the beach.

On your first question, it is hard to say a value for someone's ride over the internet, it really depends on how well it shows to the right buyer. If it shows well and the jetting issue is not preventing it from running good, I'd ask $4500 realize most rhinos on the market will be newer with less miles so you might have to come down to get it sold.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sounds like a story there ;) dang tru on them tickets lol. and on 4500. oh ****..... i paid 4k and have prob 2k in it. ill have the jetting fixed by then id say. a friend of mine said list it on craigslist and just wait. if somebody wants it for what id ask then maybe sell it if not jus keep it. and if id decide to keep it then just pull it down.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
and on that license, all what ive earned this summer and what i would get from the rhino wound go into the truck and then makin it better. from there, if i had enough left over for insurance then id get my license. it all depends on how much the truck would need.

·
Banned
597 Posts
I guess since its your money do what you want. . Do whatever will make you happier..

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
imma sell this POS. it keeps overheatin. i cleaned the rad, pulled the snorkel off (to get the jetting right) no change still sputters and overheats fast. pulled vent lines off, no change. put em back on and taped off part of the airbox, no change. put the snorkel on, and taped off, no change. checked oil it had none...... whered it go? its not smokin. filled it up, no change. now a week ago i put some older gas in it that was sittin beside my shed. wudnt even run for awhile. put new 93 octane in it and after tinckerin awhile it started with the choke, revved the **** out it and got it to run without the choke. and got it running like it is now... shitty. i thought it was the jetting cause of the snorkel but now i dont even kno. im jus tired of this damn thing. ive had it since July and been able to ride it around 5 weekend since. all the others it been broke or in the shop. im throwin crazy money at it. if all rhinos are like this POS then aint no way ill buy another one. i accually bought it for 3100. he was askin 3900. it was faded, missin some plastics and the winch was broke. in the starting fix up. i put around 300 into plastics, tailgate, cleanin it up, paintin it and "fixin" the winch. after that i had issues with the rear diff, $380 there. then had running issues repeatedly (dont remember how many times.) poping noises, speaking, clanking, grinding and all other sorts of bad noises. then had shifting issues. (left me stuck repeatedly since i couldnt back up.) had issues with a cv joint, axle falling out, new starter $80, blowing lots of blue smoke (fixed for now.)... im forgetin more but anyway all that has added up toooo... prob around $1000. maybe a lil more... then i put $180 into snorkels, $300 into clutch and spring, $200 into CDI, $60 for soft top (the one it came with was all tore up.), $80 for lift, $75 for HIDs (thanks 686er, i still havent put em in yet...), $0 taillight that my dealer broke, $120 into speakers and box, $35 for exhaust tip. i may be forgetin some but ya get what im sayin? like if i was i millionaire i might... no i still wouldnt id buy a Maverick X... well thanks to anybody who even reads all this. btw that adds up to $2,050

·
Banned
597 Posts
If its blowing blue smoke thats your oil burning. . Maybe need a new piston/ring etc...

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it was blowin smoke awhile back but i added some stopleak and it quit. besides i cant afford to rebuild it.

·
Banned
597 Posts
The point is ...it was smoking which it shouldnt be.. means top end usually..

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
prob so...

·
Registered
33 Posts
well you have a good little decision there for you to make. you want a big 4x4 truck to go off roading, play on the beach, and to have a 4x4. I can understand that. I have several 4x's pickups and one 2wd one. lol I use the 2wd as much as I can. Now I've done my fair share of off roading, even added some aerodynamic "improvements" a time or two. it was and still is a ton of fun, but this is one thing to take into consideration.

If you're out wheeling get stuck and break something on your truck........ are ya walking after that or are going to fix it right away? especially if you can't afford a top end right now. If you save up more and get a truck and keep the rhino, you can go off road it break it, then fix it at a slower pace........ and you won't be walking your ass around. lifts and big tires are fun, but expensive as in buying tires, fuel and parts.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
its that i dont want to put money into a rebuild. this thing has ate $2,050. AND IT STILL WONT RUN WORTH ****! i cant get down the road without the overheat light comin on.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts