Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Engineer
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around for head light alternatives for awhile now as I wish to rid my Rhino of it's large bulky HID transformers under the hood. I happened across a few Rhino owners who have found a cheaper alternative to HID and LED bulb replacement which looks like a durable water proof solution with relatively low current draw.

Newest design for 27w LED work light. 10V-60V DC wide voltage range (others are 10-30v),super bright with REAL 3W each LEDs,Shakeproof,rustproof,water proof,high/low temperature resistance – Very Low Power Consumption.Includes 1 Year limited Warranty.
High energy efficiency, stability 30,000+hours life,Waterproof rate:IP67,Operating Environment:-40~+50 °C - See more at: TTX LIGHTING - 4 Inch 27watts Round LED Work Light 60 Degree Flood Beam DC 9-75V for 4X4 UTV RZR Teryx Rhino Jeep Tractor Truck fork lifter Boat (Pack of 2) | UTV SXS, Side x Side ATV Parts and Accessories
27w LED work light, 10V-60Vdc, 3W leds, vibration proof, rustproof, water proof, 30,000+ hours life. $8.65 each.

I have seen several different variations on how these were installed. It looks like the simplest way was to find a plastic cup with the same diameter as the new light in order to trace the back side of the Rhino's molded plastic. Then install the lamp from the front and hold it in place with a straight bracket and small screws.

This last image is with the work lights alone.

·
7,025 Posts
dang those look pretty bright too

·
Engineer
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Been out in the desert this past weekend with a friend who had two of these on his Dominator 800. I was impressed with the light they put out for as little as they cost. There is a newer design out made by AGT which look a little more robust than the others, might be the ones that I order. I have found them for $24.99 a pair on ebay.

·
Engineer
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
These lamps come in either flood or spot 60°/30°. I was looking for a comparison video of the two lights, this is pretty close:

Flood 2;14

Spot 1;24

I think either of the two lamps would work, but the floods will require additional lights to see at a distance.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm thinking the 30 degree spot beams would be best for headlights, especially if you run a pair of flood beam work lights on your bumper, a-pillars or roof. 30 is still fairly wide. I've seen some configurations referred to as spot or pencil beams with something like a 10 degree angle.

I've a pair of 20 degree 3" 16watt spots on my a-pillars and if I turn my headlights and bumper lights off, the beams from them still work fine to drive by. However, I do like the 4" floods on my bumper and/or my headlights on in trails too although they're not necessary.

·
Engineer
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree, I ordered the AGT 30° spots earlier today for $24.99 for the pair. At first I was going to run two of the floods in my headlamps and two spots on the bumper, but then I decided since the 30° is pretty uniform, I might as well just use all spots. I may use a flood behind my cage facing backwards for backup.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I'm thinking the 30 degree spot beams would be best for headlights, especially if you run a pair of flood beam work lights on your bumper, a-pillars or roof. 30 is still fairly wide. I've seen some configurations referred to as spot or pencil beams with something like a 10 degree angle.

I've a pair of 20 degree 3" 16watt spots on my a-pillars and if I turn my headlights and bumper lights off, the beams from them still work fine to drive by. However, I do like the 4" floods on my bumper and/or my headlights on in trails too although they're not necessary.
I have those 4" like in the pic above on my a-pillars (you prob saw them in oct) ...they are VERY easy to "out drive" ; and , are pretty much USELESS when it is dusty !!! I've been looking at some of those 4" cubes to replace them with . They may do a lot better in the factory headlight buckets.

·
Engineer
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was afraid that might happen with the flood versions if you didn't have additional spots. I'll test the spots and see how they do in the dust, we seem to have a lot of it here. Amber lights cut through the dust, it's what the racers use down here.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I was afraid that might happen with the flood versions if you didn't have additional spots. I'll test the spots and see how they do in the dust, we seem to have a lot of it here. Amber lights cut through the dust, it's what the racers use down here.
Yep. The shorter the wavelength of the light, the more scattering there is off of the very small particles in the air. That is the reason the sky is blue. You can see rather well through smoke and dust with an infrared viewer because the wavelengths involved are much longer. Unfortunately, we only see down to the red part of the spectrum and we do not really see that very well. It does not look very bright to us. Amber is a very bright yellowish orange which is between red and yellow in the spectrum, hence the better viewing since our eyes respond pretty well at that wavelength. Also, the cops don't want you having red shining out the front for some strange reason.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I agree, I ordered the AGT 30° spots earlier today for $24.99 for the pair. At first I was going to run two of the floods in my headlamps and two spots on the bumper, but then I decided since the 30° is pretty uniform, I might as well just use all spots. I may use a flood behind my cage facing backwards for backup.

You've seen what I did for led headlights in the other thread, which work really good. But is a little complicated initially. I'm going to put up a couple of pics to show how my work lights are configured. As to backup, I have an 18W single row 6" I mounted in my bumper. I also mounted a 2" 10W flood to use as an actual work light to illuminate the bed and surrounding area - it puts out a lot of light for a mere 10watts. All of the work lights I have mounted were inexpensive lights from ebay averaging $12-$15 each.

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts

I have those 4" like in the pic above on my a-pillars (you prob saw them in oct) ...they are VERY easy to "out drive" ; and , are pretty much USELESS when it is dusty !!! I've been looking at some of those 4" cubes to replace them with . They may do a lot better in the factory headlight buckets.
Yeah. Are yours spot or flood?

I think the fastest I've driven at night over distance was trying to catch up with the group you were leading from the bar back to camp. Y'all had a good head start on us before we left. We went a long ways flat out before we saw the first tail light and caught up. Of course it was raining pretty good at the time so I couldn't see much at times anyway.

I found some 3" dually cubes on the trailbrightled site which have an 8 degree beam at 30 watts and an amazing 3000 lumens each. I've thought about replacing my a-pillar lights with those or putting a pair near the roof. 3x3 Dually D2 30W

·
Engineer
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rear facing lights up high work the best for us down here in the desert. I like your forward cubes too. I actually found some amber covered 27w's, I will keep looking for just the lenses.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Rear facing lights up high work the best for us down here in the desert. I like your forward cubes too. I actually found some amber covered 27w's, I will keep looking for just the lenses.

I dare say that amber emitting LEDs would be a better approach than filtered white LEDs. Amber LEDs were available much earlier than the relatively recent white LED, which was perfected only recently. The Amber LEDs emit light only at the amber wavelength, while white LED's are actually blue emitting LEDs that excite a mix of phosphors that emits at a range of colors from red to green. This blend of colors (blue to red) looks like white to our eyes.

When you put a filter that passes only the yellow wavelength, you are blocking all of the other colors. You end up wasting most of the available light from the white source, hence they look quite dim as compared to the original white source.

·
Engineer
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When you put a filter that passes only the yellow wavelength, you are blocking all of the other colors. You end up wasting most of the available light from the white source, hence they look quite dim as compared to the original white source.
Oh I totally agree, it is far better. The external filter lowers your total lumen output. I'm not sure if these are available as of yet or their cost.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Oh I totally agree, it is far better. The external filter lowers your total lumen output. I'm not sure if these are available as of yet or their cost.
Yeah, they are not as common, but they are out there. Cost might be higher due to reduce volume sales, exclusivity, etc. I did a Google search on "yellow LED worklights" and got a rather lengthy listing.

This is the first one that I brought up:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-work-light-lights/amber-led-work-light-5-inch-round-16-watt/1975/4501/

·
Registered
308 Posts
Rear facing lights up high work the best for us down here in the desert. I like your forward cubes too....
Yeah. Probably here too. The high roof mounted 10W work light comes in handy for backing when the bumper light is mud coated. I did the bumper light before I did the roof one. I actually had a similar shaped halogen in the bumper for years before I got the led. Had I done the roof work light first, I might never have added the bumper light. But I do like the way it looks.

As to the cubes, thanks. The 30W cubes I linked above may be future upgrades for these 16W ones. The brackets are of my own design. I wanted something that would leave the oem window easy to remove and not interfere with it. The OEM a-pillar bung bolt locations gave me a good place to use as a starting point.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts

Yeah. Are yours spot or flood?

I think the fastest I've driven at night over distance was trying to catch up with the group you were leading from the bar back to camp. Y'all had a good head start on us before we left. We went a long ways flat out before we saw the first tail light and caught up. Of course it was raining pretty good at the time so I couldn't see much at times anyway.

I found some 3" dually cubes on the trailbrightled site which have an 8 degree beam at 30 watts and an amazing 3000 lumens each. I've thought about replacing my a-pillar lights with those or putting a pair near the roof. 3x3 Dually D2 30W
I'm guessing mine are the floods...I got them from Flimmy...they are the same ones Hump put in his oe headlight buckets .

lol...I really couldn't see worth a crap that night either.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts

I saw those on there as well...I bought my lights from Flimmy ( Trailbrightled)...I'm gonna check with him and see if he can get just the covers .

1 - 20 of 87 Posts