Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Busted a third axle, not riding that hard. possible reasons? Anyone help here? Riding 14's versus 12's. Anyone have any insight? Normal riding in fields and hunting. All three busted in the rear.

Next, do you have to replace the whole thing everytime including cv joints?

Thanks

·
Registered
647 Posts
04 axles are slightly smaller... Could be a factor?

I have no idea why some guys snap axles all the time, and some go years and years without breaking a one. The only thing I could say to limit load on axles... Easy on the throttle through mud holes (fast spinning then catch a root/rock is a LOT of torque), and limit hard acceleration on asphalt. Dirt/gravel can reduce the grip on takeoff, which limits torque on your axles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
have an 07 660 and no issues carrying a load. I use my unit for hunting and have carried a lot of moose in the back. This year carried close to 600 lbs in the rear box without a hitch just drive with care. I did see somewhere in this forum that you can purchase heavier axles and the suggestion was to purchase the whole axle. Hope that this helps

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
My bud tried one of those "discount" one from a seller on Ebay for around $125 bucks...got maybe a year out of it. Bought the last one from HW for 150...his is an 04 as well...all of the replacement ones he has bought have been bigger; but, they broke just the same. Been the same one every time...left rear.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes, the left rear seems to be consistent. a guy on here (these forums) out of CA called Dunit says he has some GSP axles that do well. Has anyone bought one of his and do they fair well? Any help here?

·
Registered
282 Posts
04's do have smaller axles. The key is to upgrade to newer year axles. I bought a set of 4 06 axles and they are much beefier. On a stock setup at stock height I was told by a well known suspension company that there is no reason why I should break axles.

I broke two 04 axles(right rear, and left rear), replaced them with 06 axles and have had NO issues at all since then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts