Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
I think there was a thread about this a while back and the outcome I thought was it wasn't worth it..might as well do the proven rotax swap

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
It would be extremely rare and for good reason...

You would be way better off buying a built rhino motor like the one AZcourt has for sale...

If you want a V-twin don't waste your time and money with that one go to one that delivers and has plenty of support... the Rotax...

You would also be money ahead to sell your rhino and get a t-rex efi ... and you would not be getting anything as good as a rhino with a built rhino motor IMO...

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was just wondering if anyone had done it just wondering how it went. Not nessecerly thinking of doin it I was just curious if anyone had tried

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I'd think if someone did it, it was done to just be different, not better.
I don't think I recall hearing about anyone doing it.

Building a rhino engine or putting in a rotax would both be a much wiser decision.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am doing one now. From what I have read on here, folks sure love their rotaxs. I can understand why. They are good motors for sure.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
x

I was thinking about doing it years ago, have seen that the 2008 brute force motors have week cases,so don't use the 08 motor,even the muzzy guy who builds their engines told me that too, drove one last week that made 67 rwhp on the proshops dyno,hauled ass even in a heavy teryx, throw it ina lighter rhino and that will wax an xp, they make around 60 on the same dyno........that was a mild 11-1 motor,big valves,porting,dual fzr carbs and web cams, stock stroke,big bore 840ccs............I just don't like their small clutch assemblies........they have a rubber oil pick up tube which is a f'n joke,make a billet one of those for sure,they have small rods, I would get aftermarket rods,but its a good motor,some of them are upto 1000ccs I've heard,can't argue with that man...

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
x

parts are always expensive for these dumb things.......the whole topend and a good clutch and you're into it for 4500 easy..but if you blow up a 660 motor you'll be into it for 4500 too if you have some shop do it....if you wheel and deal you can get stuff alot cheaper... I think rotax tests their motors more than kawasaki,at least in the sxs arena that is....there's definately more support in dropping a rotax in a rhino than there is a kawi in a yamaha........

·
Registered
525 Posts
Agreed. My buddy has an 840 BB Teryx that pukes oil out of his modified breather and his dif. I would definitely not use a Kawi in a Rhino.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
x

crank case windage is a major problem with the kawi brute motor,it takes like four vents to keep it happy.....I'm gunna waite for a crashed 1000 can'd ham to show up in a few years and just do the conversion then, I read the rotax posts and it seems like guys are making it easier, I have a machine shop and fab shop so building my own mounts and machining my own driveline couplers etc isn't a hassle at all, its more like fun to me........rotax would be my first choice then a kawi if all the rotax's were gone or they all blew up and none were left... ha ha...is yours all bore,or did u stroke it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
parts are always expensive for these dumb things.......the whole topend and a good clutch and you're into it for 4500 easy..but if you blow up a 660 motor you'll be into it for 4500 too if you have some shop do it....if you wheel and deal you can get stuff alot cheaper... I think rotax tests their motors more than kawasaki,at least in the sxs arena that is....there's definately more support in dropping a rotax in a rhino than there is a kawi in a yamaha........

4500? your just a bit off....

·
Registered
615 Posts
That is funny. Really though, how much money does it take to get power out of a Kawi?
You mean a cowasockee..................

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
4500? your just a bit off....[/QUOTE]

pistons 500,valves,250,porting 700,machining 300,cams 500,pipes and carbs and gaskets 2000 is my estimate...bet i'm close???

·
Registered
17 Posts
4500? your just a bit off....
pistons 500,valves,250,porting 700,machining 300,cams 500,pipes and carbs and gaskets 2000 is my estimate...bet i'm close???[/QUOTE]

pistons are 400 ish, cams are 400, pipe is 5-600 for a muzzy... carbs are 100 or less if you run one of the street bike carbs like I have been... gaskets... Like I said, your a bit high.. I wouold guess you could get a core engin for 250 to 400 ....Not terrible... and make 60-70 hp not going to a big bore...(sleeved) set up...

I am not looking to argue,...and am not debating that the can am vtwins are great motors.. but, to say they make more power than the kawi's or are faster is nonsense...I have raced with some of the fastest can am folks in the country... they are very impressive... Can't go wrong with one for sure.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
x

thats cheaper than I guessed, Is it true about the pre 09 cases being weaker in the tranny area ?? why don't you post some pictures of your conversion, I'd like to check it out........I"ve seen brute force motors cheap, but I'm sure the teryx motor has a lower gear and bigger through shaft I bet, so finding a teryx motor might twice the price?...I drove a teryx the other day and it took off harder than an XP and I was impressed.....I know out in the big dunes out here guys with teryxs pump out all their oil in a hurry as the motors are prone to PC pressure....whats your take on your conversion??

·
Registered
17 Posts
To be honest, I am the wrong guy to ask for an unbiased opinion... I am pretty hard core kawi... reason I am doing the kawi conversion is I picked up a built prairie cheap.... and will be using the motor, carbs, etc.. out of it... and building an 840 for it in a year or so for one of my kids.

as far as any cases being weaker... this is the first I have heard of that. I really think the issue might be from the big bores / machine work not being done correctly... I have several buddies with 840 cc motors that run fine for years... and others that have had nothing but head gasket issues.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts