Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The PO of my rhino pull off the warn winch before we traded....ive been wanting one...my family and warn go way back....well to the beginning...it started in a garage in seattle...then they moved to the shop in kent,wa were my mom worked for 20 years...till they moved to Oregon..the RT2500 and 3000 and 4000 are nice but spendy....so i just found on ebay a MT1500 it's the mud tested version and black not grey....I know you will think its to small?...but i know warn...it will pull a true 1500.easy and i have snatch blocks and tree savers and shackles and all that stuff from warn....with snatch its 3000 lbs....50 foot line....i have another 50 in my box...so i'm happy

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh and it was 198.00 no tax and free shipping..buy it now...they have two more

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Let us know how it works out the first time you get stuck. I mean REALLY stuck. I started with a 3k and now have a 4500k winch.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well like tim the tool man...you got to love mo power...I was just qurious Geoff...with your older smaller ones did you ever use a snatch block?...cus that doubles your power...I got a warn winch acc kit for my birthday 30 years ago...snatch block ,20' tow strap large shackle and gloves in a box...a snatch really comes in handy...you can pull from around the corner if you need too...

·
Registered
433 Posts
My 4000lb winch is taxed at times.
The Rhino is heavy. Id say that 1500lb winch is going to need a snatch block for anything more than snow plow use. I hope it holds up for you.

On another note, the M/T Warn winches look interesting. I wonder what's different, internally, over their R/T & X/T series. A few months ago, the M/T series wasn't even listed on their website.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well maybe.. if thats the case? I have a handy retractable 50' tow strap.....but at almost 50 my extreem riding days are over...i just putt around no real nasty mud bogging...but if all else fails?...I have 1 big ass nasty truck that will get it out

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
chris on your side note..i just seen....as far as i could tell it says its the rt 1500 but black not grey ...and its MT (mud tested) better seals and wires connections....also not one of you have anserd me?...do you use a snatch with your 3500 4000 and 4500 metioned?....you all have said its all my 4000 will do....but with a snatch?

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have used a snatch block, but not very often.
Most times when I get stuck, the pull is simple- a hard single-line pull for about 15-20' max. The snatch block adds a lot of extra rigging.

Some situations do require a snatch black. If I'm in deep, peanut butter mud with no water, yet goop is seeping in through the doors when it stops moving forward, then yeah, I'm breaking out the big guns. I'm stringing out winch rope, getting my tree saver strap around a big tree, digging out my clevis, and perhaps getting creative on my pull.

Other times the snatch block is useful for pulling around a bend or at weird angles, just like you said.

But for me, the single line pull is fast and effective.

Many people in our riding group, including me, have trimmed off about 15-20' of our synthetic winch line. It allows fewer wraps on the drum without spooling out so much cable, which then gives a better gearing advantage to the winch motor in those quick single line pulls I was talking about. We keep the extra cable in a storage box should we need to winch longer distances.

Good conversation and good luck with your winch. I use mine for not only self-extraction but for cleaning deer, lifting things from the shop floor (using that snatch block from the rafters), and pulling large hay bales out from places the tractor might not be able to get to easily.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
A 4500 or 4K, should not be "bogging" down on a 12-1500 lb rhino. Are you guys running an aux battery?!? More likely than not...the winch is not getting enough power to run at its peak power. I have toasted a couple...not because too large of a load ; but, not enough juice to run them !! Reguardless of what "size" you have, anyone w/a winch should carry a recovery kit (snatch block, gloves, tree-strap, etc.).

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thats right scott...i have a nice big deep cyl aux bat thats going in with the winch( MT 1500 Warn)also powers my lights and heater

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
well like tim the tool man...you got to love mo power...I was just qurious Geoff...with your older smaller ones did you ever use a snatch block?...cus that doubles your power...I got a warn winch acc kit for my birthday 30 years ago...snatch block ,20' tow strap large shackle and gloves in a box...a snatch really comes in handy...you can pull from around the corner if you need too...
My 3k winch failed to move my Rhino when I was highsided in snow-- I could not use a snatch block because the nearest tree was 40 feet away and I was also using a 20' tow line to reach that tree. I ended up having to dig the snow out foot by foot until I could get going again under the Rhino's power. The lesson here is you can't always use a snatch block.

--Geoff

·
Registered
521 Posts
If you plan on running a snatch block, carry an extra 50' of cable with hooks each end just in case the nearest tree is more than 25' away.
I still say that little 1500 pounder is too small but, if your not going in deep, you should be ok.
Good luck.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
in my first post i said i have 50' of cable in my bag...the winch is 50'....and that half of of pull would be in half with block...25'...i have other 20' and a few 8' tree savers....but anyway i wanted to mention i'm a crags L addict....i found local... a guy that has 180' 140' 80' and 60' 2" straps that is army rated...realy nice stuff...eyes on each end...20 bucks for the 60 and 80' and 30 for the longer ones...they roll up real small and are light...i'm thinking about getting the 80 and maybe 140'....should be able to find something to hook to with that distance?...or should i buy just the 140' for 30 bucks?...what do you guys think of that?...thanks for input....but i see stuff like this all the time on craigs...thats my point here

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well my warn mt 1500 came in the brown truck today...out of the box...it looks pretty small....but the rhino had a mounting plate and 2" reciever on it already...i also bought a 15$ roller fairlead..and it mounted right on...its snowing in seattle and i have no garage...i just need to wire it now....i might buy 50' of dyneer line for it...i hate the wire jaggers...i have 50' in the bed...plus this 50' and i have other straps...i'll let you know haw it works

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just bought from ebay 50' of daneema rope for the warn it came with the rubber stopper....i'll unwind my brand new 50 cable that came with the MT1500 and put it the bag with my other 50' cable....rope is so much better for a winch...no memory and jagers and all that stuff...i have about 175' now

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well i got my 50' of 3/16 dyneema rope for my warn MT1500 today...it was $45 on ebay from the vendor that gives you the rubber hook stopper and has 5' of rope chafe cover for first 5' of line...really fast shipper....really nice stuff...has a video it breakes at like 18K...cable was 10K....so i unrolled my new 50' of cable and added a eye to one end and put in bag with my other 50'....i have about 175'...i just hate wire rope and the jaggers...i used to be a hook tender

·
Registered
44 Posts
Im glad to see that your having good success with the warn winch. Ive actually gotten away from warn. The winches ive had went from good to bad as the newer ones come out. Apparently they swapped the gears in the warn winches from my understanding. Ive been stuck before and a warn couldnt touch me. Ive had better succes with the viper elite 4500 lb with the synthetic rope.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I, too, run a Viper Max winch with the synthetic cable- the 4000lb flavor.

I ran a Viper Elite 3000 on my Grizzly. It was junk. I sent it off three times for warranty work. I even bought a Viper Max 2000 out of good faith in the company because they were always willing to help me when the Elite busted and was off for repair. The Max 2000 broke within a coulpe of months. I was angry.

I wrote the comapany a letter reminding them of my frequent troubles with their products, how despite multiple failures with their top of the line Elite, I still purchased a Max 2000 which also broke.

The company sent me a new Elite 3000 winch, wiring harness, connector, and wireless controller AND a brand new Viper Max 4000 with black synthetic line and woreless controls to replace my Max 2000. All for free!

They went over and beyond in the customer service.

I think that the Elite 3000 was a dud or something from the get-go. Three times in the shop in less than a year is crazy. The 2000lb winch was just too small for my Grizzly and it fried a smokey death. If a 2000lb winch was too small for a Grizzly, a 1500lb winch wouldn't even be an option for me on a Rhino.

This Viper 4000 has pulled my Rhino up hills, up trees for cleaning purposes, through door-deep peanut butter mud and been submerged for long periods in water without a single problem. It has pulled a dead Polaris RZR up an extremely steep river bank where the rear of my Rhino was about to come off the ground. It has drug 1500lb hay bales off trailers repeatedly. This winch is very nice.

My best wishes to the OP with the 1500lb Warn winch. I think it's way too small for a Rhino, but if it works, it works. You can't argue with results. The snatch block will work, just with a lot of rigging. Again, good luck and keep on representing us Rhino boys!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts