Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 660 04,4 seater, stock motor(brand new top and bottom end)stock pipe and air cleaner box.Dragon fire cdi.25" terracross tires and itp rims (offset) I just installed the JBS sheave(orange spring, OD 16g weights)stock belt never changed. i took it out today for the first time after sheave honestly loved the low and mid power band. my top speed was 42 in the dirt(by gps 2 person). my question is should jetting my stock carb help me get a little more in top speed? don't really want to over do it with the motor as far as pipe,big carb,etc etc.need it to be reliable for long trips. iam pretty sure it will do a little better in pavement but have not tried it.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
did u hold the weights and cam plate in the sheave tight when u re-installed it ? sounds like maybe a weigth fell on its side,

u should see 50 easy unless ur aftermarket cdi is not as good as a dynatek ?

04 rhino's from factory have a 150 main ,

05 06 07 rhino's came with a 145 main ,

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
i have a 660 04,4 seater, stock motor(brand new top and bottom end)stock pipe and air cleaner box.Dragon fire cdi.25" terracross tires and itp rims (offset) I just installed the JBS sheave(orange spring, OD 16g weights)stock belt never changed. i took it out today for the first time after sheave honestly loved the low and mid power band. my top speed was 42 in the dirt(by gps 2 person). my question is should jetting my stock carb help me get a little more in top speed? don't really want to over do it with the motor as far as pipe,big carb,etc etc.need it to be reliable for long trips. iam pretty sure it will do a little better in pavement but have not tried it.
Your weights are not in correctly is the problem 99% of the time...

Take the outer cover off... in neutral with brake on rev slowly and watch it shift out...make sure it's all working good and then rev it to the limit and make sure that the top of the drive belt comes all the way to top of sheave and then some...if it doesn't...it is the weights...

A bigger pilot jet will help your starting and hole shot...it is possible you are a tad lean on your main jet for max power now but not way out of line...

If you want a real good increase in power on a budget with a well tuned carb w/o getting a loud pipe we have a high flow intake and complete jet kit that will do that...

It eliminates the air box completely... so if you need or think you need an airbox our intake won't work for you...

We have the jet kit or individual jets you need for any power increase requirements from stock to built motor with intake/exhaust for the stock carb...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the reply's, didn't have time today to work on it but it will do each step accordinly, and then play with the jetting. ill keep you posted will try to take video of sheave and belt.. thanks again

·
Registered
658 Posts
Don't touch the jetting or anything else until you pull the cvt cover and run it in neutral as suggested. The belt should ride completely to the top of the sheave. Mine did the same thing and James said to do this simple check. I came to find out the weights were in 180 degrees. I turned them around and went instantly from 40mph to 55. The 3 lines in the weights need to face up.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Check the weights first as stated obove. When that is done, I used to run a 147.5 to 150 main in mine when it was stock(oe jets). Go to a 45 pilot. If you want more throttle response, take the air box lid off and cut the diaphragm spring down in the carb. This HAS tone done with no air box lid due to the change in intake differential pressures and vacuum. Just loosen the top cap and trim the spring down until the spring supports the cap just off the top of the carb (about 1/16th" to1/8th"). You'll need to adj the mixture screw after all of this is completed. You should be very pleased with the results over buying an expensive jet kit. Good luck!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the reply's, i will definetly check the sheave and weights, i am positive i put the weights with the 3 lines facing the plate (up). i will still check them. haven't had the time to take it apart (had a family emergency), but i did order the jets 150 main,45 pilot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts