Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 660 that has been having some issue's with dying while riding. It runs great: then all of the sudden die's. When I try to re-start, it almost acts like the battery is laboring. I've had the valves adjusted and the fuel pump checked for proper flow. I even stepped up to a hotter plug. It will eventually start, but most of the time I end up running the battery down. Is it possible a weak battery could be causing this? I have a winch on the unit as well as a radio/cd player. Maybe I'm getting draw from one of those that could be draining the battery? The battery is only a year and a 1/2 old.

·
Registered
182 Posts
unless your using your winch alot I can't see that running the battery down but a dead battery will cause it to die and if the battery is putting out less then 12 volts when cranking it will be hard to start.Another issue is it could be getting hot.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This does happen when the unit gets hot. It acts as if it is draining the battery: which then requires me to have to jump start it. I am getting plenty of coolant flow through the radiator. Don't really know why it is getting hot.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Odds are you are running out of gas...

I know you said they checked your fuel pump but trust me 99% of the time that is it...

We have the solution for you...

Our Fuel Delivery Kits will eliminate most problems you are having and are a huge benefit for troubleshooting all run-ability problems...

Rhino 660

You can read what our customers say about our fuel delivery kits in our vendor section on this forum...

RuttingRhino.com - Yamaha Rhino Forum - Rhino Forums.net

pm me your email if you need more help...

·
Registered
581 Posts
I have a 2004 660 that has been having some issue's with dying while riding. It runs great: then all of the sudden die's. When I try to re-start, it almost acts like the battery is laboring. I've had the valves adjusted and the fuel pump checked for proper flow. I even stepped up to a hotter plug. It will eventually start, but most of the time I end up running the battery down. Is it possible a weak battery could be causing this? I have a winch on the unit as well as a radio/cd player. Maybe I'm getting draw from one of those that could be draining the battery? The battery is only a year and a 1/2 old.
What has been done to the Rhino? Is it stock? Is it modified? Has it been sitting for any extended period of time? When it dies does it sputter out and then die? Can you keep it running by varying the throttle? Does it die immedietely? Have you load tested the battery? Just remember buying parts without a diagnosis is NOT the answer.

Nate
Alba Racing

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Sounds like what mine was doing. Check fuel pump and especially the fuel filter. (the fuel filter fixed it for me, but the pump also died not long after that, so I would check both)

·
Registered
6 Posts
That is what is happening to mine....just dies.... leave it for 5 min and starts perfect .....hmmmm ....i changed the gas filter and still...
???????

1 - 7 of 7 Posts