Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, new to me Rhino that started overheating last time I took it out. Was running for about 30min before the light came one, It wasn't steaming or boiling over or running rough at all, but the light was on. I drove through a few semi deep water pools and the light went out. Radiator was clean, coolant is clean and full. Anything known issues I should address? Thermostat, coolant change, water pump? The light did not come back on on the way back so the water dunk did cool it off enough for the 20min ride back home so the issue doesn't seem to be anything major.

·
Registered
668 Posts
So we should probably start with year/engine, ambient temp info to start with. You're right, it doesn't sound like anything major but give us a few more details to get started..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was told it was a 2006 660, but it does not have the air intake behind the shifter so it may be older than that. It was about 80 degrees out, I wasn't running it too hard. Actually, we were going pretty slow with it on some sandy twisty trails.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Ok. Sounds like with the slow speed and the increased drag of going through sand maybe you have a fan issue? Slow speed equates to not a lot of air movement through the radiator so when engine temp goes up high enough the temp sensor should bring on the fan. No fan under those conditions will bring on the temp light. Just something to check out..

·
Registered
114 Posts
you should wire up a fan over ride toggle switch . these motors run in the 180 range

Jake

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did hear the fan coming on and off, but it never seemed to stay on for more than a minute or two. I can certainly wire a switch to override the factory relay, but is it okay to run it all the time when I'm going slow or will that burn it out?

·
Registered
07 686, msd cdi, twin-air filter, Tyrex shocks, stage 1 hot cam, lots of old school tuning tricks
101 Posts
Agree with all of the above. Also try bleeding the cooling system.
There is a bleed valve on the top of the engine on what looks like a thermostat cover. Remove the bleed valve, start the engine and add coolant until it's coming out of the bleed valve, then replace the bleed valve.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agree with all of the above. Also try bleeding the cooling system.
There is a bleed valve on the top of the engine on what looks like a thermostat cover. Remove the bleed valve, start the engine and add coolant until it's coming out of the bleed valve, then replace the bleed valve.
Sounds like a good idea, I'll do that this weekend. thank you

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Sounds like a good idea, I'll do this as well. My fan only runs for a minute or less at a time, I thought that was kind of odd. Glad there is a fix for it. Thank you guys for all the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts