Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im gettin ready to buy/install at temp gauge where is the best place to install the sending unit? lower or upper rad hose? any1 know the i.d. of the rad hoses?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I as well as many like to put the sender in the oem hole in the head... for a clean and simple install... and also if your water pump dies and your coolant at the head is boiling and your sensor/sender is at the radiator you would be clueless about it and probably wind up with a blown head gasket...

there are lots of write-ups on the subject in the HOW-TO section of this forum...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I as well as many like to put the sender in the oem hole in the head... for a clean and simple install... and also if your water pump dies and your coolant at the head is boiling and your sensor/sender is at the radiator you would be clueless about it and probably wind up with a blown head gasket...

there are lots of write-ups on the subject in the HOW-TO section of this forum...
if you left the stock overheat setup (idiot light) and put the gauge sensor at some other location wouldn't you have the benefit of both? An indication of water temp via the gauge and the stock oem light to warn of high temperature at the head. I'm going to put a gauge on mine, along with volt meter and oil press. I too have been wondering where others have placed the sensor and how it's worked out.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts

if you left the stock overheat setup (idiot light) and put the gauge sensor at some other location wouldn't you have the benefit of both? An indication of water temp via the gauge and the stock oem light to warn of high temperature at the head. I'm going to put a gauge on mine, along with volt meter and oil press. I too have been wondering where others have placed the sensor and how it's worked out.
Mine is in the left radiator hose...it works there; but , you will get a more accurate reading w/it in the head. The "idiot" light is not a warning that you are getting hot...when it comes on, you are hot !! Too many times of it coming on, and you're gonna be changing a head gasket !!

·
Registered
5,892 Posts

yes the idiot would let you know of high temp at the head... 245* i believe is when it clicks on...usually TOO LATE and your gasket is done.

thats why i put mine in the stock location. get a radiator shroud and good tuning. my rhino rarely gets over 185-190 now.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I put mine in the OEM location. No problems.

·
Registered
616 Posts
temp gauge

im gettin ready to buy/install at temp gauge where is the best place to install the sending unit? lower or upper rad hose? any1 know the i.d. of the rad hoses?
I removed my dash warning sender from the OEM spot and put it at the top hose coming out of the cylinder head using a double barb fitting I made. I had to soder a ground wire to the sender to make it operational. Then I installed a Digatron meter (sender in oem spot) with adjustable over temps/over revs/egt that uses a really bright flashing red led if it goes over the limits you set...I set my temp to 200 just to play it safe. It's not the cheap way to go, but really works good!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts