Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it normal to lose top end when you put an exhaust and fuel controller on i put on a muzzys dual and msd fuel controller (fuel controller at setting 2) and i couldnt get over 52mph this weekend. before i put on exhaust and fuel controller i was hitting 65+mph. all driving and speeds are in ocotillo wells, i went down the same roads and trails i was hitting 65mph befor only getting 52mph, tires are the same as befor muzzys and fuel controller.

mods besides muzzys and fuel controller are cdi box, machined sheave with greasless weights and sliders, uni filter.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
No that would not be normal...

Without an a/f gauge the only way to get a clue is to look at your spark plug...

Use the fuel curve that gives you the fastest acceleration from 0-300' and it should give you very good top speed as well...

Most people with 700s and stock intakes and a good exhaust with the correct fuel curve are not going to have this problem...

It's much cheaper, simpler if you have 660... :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
Are you sure you hit 65mph before?? What else you done to the rhino? Are you sure it wasn't on km before and after the exhaust and Msd it somehow got switched to mph ..that's my bet

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
yeah that is very good point...

I wasn't thinking too well this morning when I posted...

You need a lot of motor to hit 65 and you are not going to get full power out of any motor that can do 65 w/o an exhaust...

60 mph is what you would get with a built motor that can pull 8000 rpms...and that is with a machined sheave or od weights...

To hit 65 you need a strong motor that can pull well over 8000 rpms and have the top speed sheave mods...

You definitely can't do that with a stock motor and stock exhaust even with a sheave mod...

So what sheave do you have...if you are getting 52 that would be very good with stock sheave...but poor with sheave mod or od weights even for a stock exhaust...

Get a tach, gps, a/f gauge and you will have everything you need to know where you stand with performance...

2slow probably has it right on the speedo...question is is your performance good or weak...that depends on the real numbers and what you have for a sheave...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ill check into this and let you guys know, but i do know i was hitting over 52 with the cdi, modified sheave and weights.

but i am going to check into the km thing and see how fast im going in km

·
Registered
581 Posts
Sounds like the CDI you had before had a higher rev-limit than the one supplied in your MSD map. Which map are you running? Have you check the rev-limit on the setting you are on?

Nate
Alba Racing

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
is it normal to lose top end when you put an exhaust and fuel controller on i put on a muzzys dual and msd fuel controller (fuel controller at setting 2) and i couldnt get over 52mph this weekend. before i put on exhaust and fuel controller i was hitting 65+mph. all driving and speeds are in ocotillo wells, i went down the same roads and trails i was hitting 65mph befor only getting 52mph, tires are the same as befor muzzys and fuel controller.

mods besides muzzys and fuel controller are cdi box, machined sheave with greasless weights and sliders, uni filter.

You might be doing close to 65+ if you drove off a 50' cliff with just a cdi and sheeve, by the time you hit bottom, HAHAHA!!!! I'm joking. When you say other mods besides MSD and Muzzy exhaust, you mention cdi. Did you remove it when you installed the MSD ignition fuel controller? Where did you get the MSD? Todd over at Hunterworks installs his custom fuel maps in those positions to work with specific modifications. Other retailers don't as far as I know.
Call Nate over at Alba Racing and he will get you a proper map for your modifications. He will also show you what you need to do to really hit 65mph, if that is what you want.

·
Registered
581 Posts
C'mon now Steve, I have seen 63 downhill, farting with a santa ana gust blowing at my back!!! but the belt desided to say hello to the cover.... but he is correct I would be more than happy to look at the map you are running and try and make some adjustments if necessary.

Nate
Alba Racing

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
C'mon now Steve, I have seen 63 downhill, farting with a santa ana gust blowing at my back!!! but the belt desided to say hello to the cover.... but he is correct I would be more than happy to look at the map you are running and try and make some adjustments if necessary.

Nate
Alba Racing

HAHAHA!!!! I told him I was joking!
Farting with a Santa Ana blowing at your back? Damn, mid 60's is more involved then I thought, HAHAHA!!!!

·
Registered
581 Posts

Nate
Alba Racing

Farting with a Santa Ana blowing at your back? Damn, mid 60's is more involved then I thought, HAHAHA!!!!
Now that I think of it... I have a comet sitting around. Noisy, but easy mph.

Nate

·
Registered
1,640 Posts

Nate
Alba Racing

Now that I think of it... I have a comet sitting around. Noisy, but easy mph.

Nate

Really, do you have any plans for it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts