Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I would like to say hello to all of you at rhino forums.net!!

Now, the question that has me wanting to sell my rhino, cause I AM PISSED!:angryfire: This last week me and some of my buddies have installed a KMS sheeve, and duners Kit from kms. And we went riding last night and I am about 6mph slower them them! Same mods on bikes same tires, same everything! Y is mine that musch slower? Before the kms sheeve I was running 44mph, and after I am running 51! Now my buddies is running 57! Its not even fun riding with them now cause I dont even hold a candle to keep up with them in straight aways on the trails. I have 580 miles on my rhino and DID not replace the belt when I did this KMS stuff! COuld that be the problem, cause my buddy replaced his?

FOR compairison:

MY rhino mods: 26" Mudlights, cdi, kn, KMS sheeve and duners kit

HIS rhino mods: 26" Mudlights, cdi, KMS sheeve and duners kit

HELP PPPLLLLEEEEEEAAAAASSSSSEEE!!!!!!!!

·
Life serves the risk taker
4,197 Posts
You have a K&N. You need to jet the main. Check your plug, if it is white you need to go up. I use a 18mm spark plug wrench and do a wide open run and stop and pull the plug. You want the plug to be tan when you do these runs also.

One other thing is make sure your Y line out of the fuel pump is pointing up. This Y line is the one that returns to the fuel tank. If you need it buy a new 1/4" fuel line and make an extra length to get a loop up for the return.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Depends on how you and him broke in the engine possibly.

For instance, I have a friend who got a Rhino a few months after I did, he put on a Dynatek CDI and his top speed without any other mods was 55mph with his Rhino.... of course he says the motor was SCREAMING but his went that fast.

My top speed with just a BRP CDI was 49 Screaming... now with the KMS Sheave I can go about 57MPH.

I AM sure if my friend installed a Sheave he would almost hit 60 with his.

The other thing you might want to do is make sure your jetting and your valves are adjusted. Valve adjustment should be performed at least 1 time a season on a Rhino,... when they get out of adjustment you lose power.

oh yea, both of us run 25" tires.... I would only use 26 tires for heavy desert/rock/dirt use. Expect a drop in speed with larger tires.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
You have a K&N. You need to jet the main. Check your plug, if it is white you need to go up. I use a 18mm spark plug wrench and do a wide open run and stop and pull the plug. You want the plug to be tan when you do these runs also.
Whay he said...When I put the unifilter/billet intake kit on I lost a bunch of speed and power. I rejetted up 3 sizes on the main and two on the pilot. I get 54 mph with the grizzly sheave now.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
First of all I would like to say hello to all of you at rhino forums.net!!

Now, the question that has me wanting to sell my rhino, cause I AM PISSED!:angryfire: This last week me and some of my buddies have installed a KMS sheeve, and duners Kit from kms. And we went riding last night and I am about 6mph slower them them! Same mods on bikes same tires, same everything! Y is mine that musch slower? Before the kms sheeve I was running 44mph, and after I am running 51! Now my buddies is running 57! Its not even fun riding with them now cause I dont even hold a candle to keep up with them in straight aways on the trails. I have 580 miles on my rhino and DID not replace the belt when I did this KMS stuff! COuld that be the problem, cause my buddy replaced his?

FOR compairison:

MY rhino mods: 26" Mudlights, cdi, kn, KMS sheeve and duners kit

HIS rhino mods: 26" Mudlights, cdi, KMS sheeve and duners kit

HELP PPPLLLLEEEEEEAAAAASSSSSEEE!!!!!!!!
Get rid of the K&N and go back to stock .....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Get rid of the 26" tires? Well, he has them too and is still running A LOT faster.

Jet the kn? I did NOT do this and might be what I may need to do.

keep the stock air cleaner? Y?

I wouldn't think that the kn with the air box and intake all stock that it would make my rhino that much more leaner, esp. when IF im not mistaken, aren't they jetted a bit rich from the factory?

Supprising that the belt is not a issue!

·
4,197 Posts
just check the plug after wide open run. if it's tan your fine. Could be the belt, no one knows. Most people hit 57 after the sheave change with no belt change.

Check valves, jetting, fuel filter and fuel Y line and report back on results.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Becuase I am always hearing about stories like this ..... you are only going to get in deeper with the jetting ...... It seems that it is very hard for most people to get the correct jetting down and pretty soon they just settle .... I am always hearing stories about hard style air filter upgrades, exhaust upgrades, jetting upgrades and carb upgrades ...... when all is said and done they are upset that they cant beat their buddy in a race and the only mods he has is a CDI and a Sheave ....... Plus the guy with the CDI and Sheave has lots of reliability and never has to tinker with the jetting ......

Just my 2 cents .... I am sure there are many that will disagree.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Get rid of the 26" tires? Well, he has them too and is still running A LOT faster.

Jet the kn? I did NOT do this and might be what I may need to do.

I wouldn't think that the kn with the air box and intake all stock that it would make my rhino that much more leaner, esp. when IF im not mistaken, aren't they jetted a bit rich from the factory?

Supprising that the belt is not a issue!
You have to start somewhere, and jets are cheap. That said, I thought you had done the billet intake with tha airbox lid removed. I would not think changing to a k&n in the stock box would matter. I don't think they are rich from the factory, a little on the lean side is the way they come out.

·
Registered
172 Posts
re jet it and see what happens it needs to be done anyway.i was only going 48 mph and i put a 2" exhuast and a [email protected] i went and rejetted and now i got 50 mph.it takes a while to do but it will.thats with 26" tires when i had 28" i could hit 52 but i always ran out of road because they robed so much power. if that dosent work then change the belt.kms told me that when they put on a sheave to put on a new belt at the same time.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Mine is all stock other than a BRP CDI and KMS Sheave ..... I can hit 55mph on level ground and 59mph on a slight downgrade ........ That is plenty fast for me ..... any faster without doing some valve work and you are asking for trouble ..... the motor wasnt designed to rev that high ......

CDI - less than $ 200.00 - install time 10 mintues.
KMS Sheave - $ 100.00 - install time 1 hour.

No working on it no adjusting and it is very reliable ...

Again just my 2 cents ..... I am sure most people will disagree with my thinking but it works for me.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
to jet it correctly, you have to shut off the engine right after you let of the throttle, and come to a coast. its the only way to get a true reading. or you can spend a little coin, and get an air fuel meter. That is the best route to go. No guessing. It tells you where you are at, at all times.

2nd.. the belt may have something to do with it. I have been playing around with the PDM clutch, and he was saying that if the belt wears down, you will lose top end speed. It basically can't get into the same "gear" as your buddies because the belt is narrower. The belts have a useful life range. I have no idea what it is, but the belt could be the issue too. I smoked a belt, put on a new one, and it was a lot faster on the top end. The old belt was slipping like crazy, so it was pretty worn down.

i don't know if this works on the stock clutch, but you can try sticking a 6mm washer on the two bolts that hold the secondary clutch sheave on. It will space the sheave in closer to the belt, basically moving the sheave closer, making it like the belt never got worn down. I would try that.. i don't think it can hurt anything.. but i am not an expert. i was told to do this on mine when the belt starts wearing down, to gain back some top end speed. I accept no responsibility if you screw something up!

it still blows me away that you guys are getting 57 mph out of your rhinos with bolt ons.. what speeds do you get in the dunes on the flat areas? Does it take a week and half to get there?? Mine never came close to that.. but i was running 27" tires on the street.. so.. who knows..

greg

·
4,197 Posts
I get 43 in the dunes on a flat straight away. I have the cheapest engine mods anywhere. No frills.

The wheel weight is a huge factor. When I was running my 26" bighorns and steel wheels on the way to Crown King it was a complete dog comparably.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
to jet it correctly, you have to shut off the engine right after you let of the throttle, and come to a coast. its the only way to get a true reading. or you can spend a little coin, and get an air fuel meter. That is the best route to go. No guessing. It tells you where you are at, at all times.

2nd.. the belt may have something to do with it. I have been playing around with the PDM clutch, and he was saying that if the belt wears down, you will lose top end speed. It basically can't get into the same "gear" as your buddies because the belt is narrower. The belts have a useful life range. I have no idea what it is, but the belt could be the issue too. I smoked a belt, put on a new one, and it was a lot faster on the top end. The old belt was slipping like crazy, so it was pretty worn down.

i don't know if this works on the stock clutch, but you can try sticking a 6mm washer on the two bolts that hold the secondary clutch sheave on. It will space the sheave in closer to the belt, basically moving the sheave closer, making it like the belt never got worn down. I would try that.. i don't think it can hurt anything.. but i am not an expert. i was told to do this on mine when the belt starts wearing down, to gain back some top end speed. I accept no responsibility if you screw something up!

it still blows me away that you guys are getting 57 mph out of your rhinos with bolt ons.. what speeds do you get in the dunes on the flat areas? Does it take a week and half to get there?? Mine never came close to that.. but i was running 27" tires on the street.. so.. who knows..

greg

Well, we wont test out the rhinos in the dunes until we go to little sahra here in april. On my particular rhino it takes a while to get up to speed, but my buddies does NOT...maybe a 1/3 less than me. Im gonna put a new belt on...test it...and if that quite isn't up to par, I'll start checking the jetting and on from there. I am starting to wonder though if my motor/trans is like v8 motors are you can buy ten of the same one and one outta the ten will be faster orvise versa. Kinda wondering if that aint the case. As for the tires...they are gonna get sold and I'm gonna go with the 25" 489's.

I will report back when my belt gets in!

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts

greg
I have never clocked mine in the sand ..... Next time I am at the Dunes I will ....

It takes me less than a 1/4 mile to get up to full speed .......

I think the 27" tires will really slow you down ..... I did notice a slight decrease in power when I got the Terracross Tires but no loss of top speed .... I am going to switch to the 489's also ......

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I can run 53 down sand hwy with my rhino and I think My belt and sheave was on there way out. Since I put the woods kit in,
45mil mikuni,exhaust,intake. My rhino hauls ass. i also noticed that I get there alot quicker with the 45 mil mikuni than I ever did with the edelbrock.I think when I get mine back and have aci hook me up with a clutch, I will see 55-60 on sand hwy. these are speeds on my digidash,not gps.
I can tell you this, when running 50+ down the sand, you better have a good suspension.

·
4,197 Posts
I can run 53 down sand hwy with my rhino and I think My belt and sheave was on there way out. Since I put the woods kit in,
45mil mikuni,exhaust,intake. My rhino hauls ass. i also noticed that I get there alot quicker with the 45 mil mikuni than I ever did with the edelbrock.I think when I get mine back and have aci hook me up with a clutch, I will see 55-60 on sand hwy. these are speeds on my digidash,not gps.
I can tell you this, when running 50+ down the sand, you better have a good suspension.
That's 686 engine performance right there. I will be interested to see the woods bolt on performance kit vs. the 686 kit WOTM. If your performance was even close to his I would be sold on the woods kit.

I drove his and I topped out on flats at digi 53 on flat sand.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I think I can go faster, My sheave and belt where on there way out when I was hitting these speeds. I am hoping the extra weight of the new cage and gussets don't slow me down to much. I didn't hit anywhere near this with the edelCROCK and k+n hardstyle, It was when i put the 45 mikuni and his K+n that It woke it up.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
i am running the Mikuni HSR carb now too.. way better than the edelbrock. plus i hated not having a choke. it was a ***** to start.. but now i haven't used the choke but once i think with the mikuni,, it starts instantly.

g-

1 - 20 of 57 Posts