Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some suggestions from you guys. I just purchased my 2006SE,660a few weeks ago. I hadn't ridden it much other than around the yard,neighborhood, and in & out of the garage. No problems....Went down to the garage the other morning to back it out,turned the starter switch and ,nothing! No headlights,dashlights,etc.At first I thought it was the battery and hooked my charger up,but the charger showed full charge.Tried my aux. lamps and radio and they worked. Looked around the battery area and moved/jiggled some wires,etc around,tried it again and it started righ up. Figured something was just a little loose and it was fine. The other day I got ready to load it on my trailer to go out to a friends house and ride dirt roads....same thing.Wiggled wires again and it started right up. Didn't have any problems that day riding but I figured the next day I 'd removed some of the electrical fuses and relays(??) clean them,dab some dielectrical grease on contacts and that would be it. It was ok for the next ride but last night we rode again.Stopped briefly,got back in,went to start it and the same thing.My buddy wiggled some wires,then stood back while I kept trying the starter switch. All of a sudden,my dash lights came on and it started right up. Not sure what the issue is??
I did noticed when I checked things in the battery area,there's a heavy red cable running to a relay looking thingy with 2 fuses on each side,then a heavy black cable on the other side. I pulled both fuses, wiped them clean,but noticed where one of the fuses plugged in,didn't look real good,the female end inside looked a little bent up.I added some grease there too but it made the fuse real loose so I wiped that off best I could,replaced the fuse and wrapped a nylon tie around the part to hold it nice and tight. But that was the evening we went riding and stopped briefly when it did it again.SO...not sure whats going on?? Also my MPH is switched to KM.
Thanks in advance for anyones help!
By the way,we will be riding at Cloud 9 Ranch in Missouri,wheres there's alot of rugged hills,some deep water crossings,etc....don't want this thing stopping in the middle of something!! It hasn't stopped yet ,only when trying to start it.

·
Registered
521 Posts
You might have a kinked (ghost break)wire in the battery box somewhere. If it's really dirty in the battery box, that might be an indication that the fuse blades are gunked up too.
Do you have an aftermarket cdi?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To my knowledge,it's a stock cdi box.
It did it again this afternoon,left the ignition on an had a buddy watch the dash lights while another buddy and i wiggled some wires,I had ahold of the heavy red cable w/the 2 fuses in it but my buddy was looking at wires under the battery box...the dash lights came back on and it started fine so I'm not sure who wiggled the right spot??!!It was getting cold an late so we left thingsas they were.I'll take a picture of the wires I'm talking about,tomarrow and possibly someone can tell me what this is.
Thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It just so happened reading on the electrical forum,someone had a pic of his battery box so,I'll "borrow" it to show the part I'm talking about. It's in front of the battery with the heavy red cable going to it,2 fuses,and the heavy black going out of it.If I remember right,looking at it this afternoon,the black goes back into the main wiring harness. It's one of the fuses that doesn't fit well and this might be my culprit.Then again it might be something my buddy was touching,under or below the battery box??

·
Registered
521 Posts
If things come on intermittently then it's usually a bad ground wire. Try wiggling only one thing at a time to get it to either go off or on. Good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Let me know what you find out. My 2005 has started this recently. I went ahead and ordered a new ignition switch as moving wires and such doesn't seem to do anything. Just seems like sometimes it lights up sometimes it doesn't. I will let you know how the ignition switch goes. Should be in next week. Been on back order go figure?!

·
Registered
4 Posts
just as info the fuse by the red wire is your main fuse if its loose it will kill all of your power ,i had mine blow one nite it killed everything lights dash engine ,so that being loose could be you prob

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just as info the fuse by the red wire is your main fuse if its loose it will kill all of your power ,i had mine blow one nite it killed everything lights dash engine ,so that being loose could be you prob
Thanks for the reply....it's the 2nd fuse,the one closest to the red wire is tight the other one,closest to the black wire is the one that's loose.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I believe that the 2 fuses you are talking about are 30amps? If so only one of them is actually used, the other is a spare. I would be willing to bet the one that is loose is just a spare. My rhino does the same thing and if I jiggle the starter relay(the part that has the large red cable going to it) mine starts right up. Sounds like yours does the same. Dunno if its just a loose connection or if there is something wrong with the relay. Id check all the wires, if nothing is loose maybe try a new relay.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts