Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a problem with my 07 Rhino 450. Sometimes when I let off the accelerator to bring the engine to idle, the engine speed does not decrease enough to shift gears. The rpm stays a little too high like the throttle is sticking. I can rev the engine and let off the accelerator quickly, but it doesn't help. The only way I can get the engine slow enough to shift gears is to choke it just a little. Once the engine slows enough to shift gears and I let the choke off, the engine will idle at the proper speed. Any one have any ideas about what is going on?

·
Registered
505 Posts
I don't think you have a vacuum slide in that carb but it has been a few years since I worked on my buddies. Sounds like a sticking throttle plate and or gunk in the bore to keep it from seating. That's assuming that you checked ALL linkages and cables (choke included) and they are allowing the plate to seat.

·
Vendor
3,509 Posts
I don't think you have a vacuum slide in that carb but it has been a few years since I worked on my buddies. Sounds like a sticking throttle plate and or gunk in the bore to keep it from seating. That's assuming that you checked ALL linkages and cables (choke included) and they are allowing the plate to seat.
There is a vacuum slide

·
Registered
505 Posts
Thx HW, I sit corrected...I checked the manual..it is a Vacuum pot that controls the needle jet rod slide, sorry I was thinking of another kind of slide. A can of carb cleaner in the bowl, let it sit a few minutes and cycled thru the carb, should clean it out if jet or needle is gunked. I used to periodically run some carb cleaner in tank to keep the carbs clean.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Issue solved, maybe

I had some time yesterday to do some troubleshooting. I checked the accelerator and choke linkages and they seemed to be fine. I did find a vacuum leak at the carb intake. After repairing I drove it around for a while. It would come back to the proper idle speed every time. Time will tell. Thanks for all the responses.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts