Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, finally got sick of seeing all of the posts regarding modifying the sheaves and not knowing what the heck everyone was talking about. Wiki defines the sheave as a sort of pulley. So what does the primary and secondary sheaves do in the Rhino and how does modifying them with machining and springs and weights make them better?

Whew, feel better now that I got this out there!! :hihi:

·
Registered
183 Posts
so the sheave would make my rhino faster? if you dont know, ill just start a thread asking!

i want to be able to go atleast 65mph with my motor stock

brett

·
Registered
58 Posts
A modified sheave will increase a stock rhino to 50 mph. That's when the rev limiter kicks in. If you think about a 10 speed bike, when you shift to a higher gear the front sprocket of the bike gets bigger and the rear gets smaller giving you more speed with the same revolutions of the pedals. The primary sheave is the front sprocket pushing the belt up for higher speeds. The secondary is like the rear sprocket with the belt going lower between the sheaves. Machining a sheave makes the belt ride even higher in the primary sheave. There is a limit to how high it can ride before rubbing issues. The best sheave setup according to all who run it is the jbs sheave. I have never seen a bad review, just lots of satisfied customers. His sheave is only milled for bottom end and uses greaseless odweights for top end. The ones that are milled for top end has "roller flop" and you can't use the odweights. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A modified sheave will increase a stock rhino to 50 mph. That's when the rev limiter kicks in. If you think about a 10 speed bike, when you shift to a higher gear the front sprocket of the bike gets bigger and the rear gets smaller giving you more speed with the same revolutions of the pedals. The primary sheave is the front sprocket pushing the belt up for higher speeds. The secondary is like the rear sprocket with the belt going lower between the sheaves. Machining a sheave makes the belt ride even higher in the primary sheave. There is a limit to how high it can ride before rubbing issues. The best sheave setup according to all who run it is the jbs sheave. I have never seen a bad review, just lots of satisfied customers. His sheave is only milled for bottom end and uses greaseless odweights for top end. The ones that are milled for top end has "roller flop" and you can't use the odweights. I hope this helps.
Thank you for taking the time to explain!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Bill...that post is for a 700...not 660...

A modified sheave on stock 660 will not increase top speed much...just barely...

You have to have a cdi on a 660 to defeat the speed limiter...

If you have a cdi and a sheave on a 660 a typical rhino with stock motor will do 55ish...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts