Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this 2004 rhino 660 with this lift and tires on it. The shocks look stock just turned up. I know the A arms are aftermarket and the tie rods also has gorilla axles. Over half of the tires stick out on front and rear. Would like to know if someone could give me a little more info on it also on the rear the top shock mount has 4 different holes to bolt it. What is this for and where is the best place to put it? It seams the rear suspension is a little soft.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
not sure what kit that is, it appears to be a mid travel kit with that width.
the different mounting holes will stiffen up that rear. move it out to that third hole, where you can see it has already worn. that will stand your shock up more, adding a little more lift and stiffening up the ride.
overall though that is a great looking rhino, i love the stance it has

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I thought the holes were for but I figured I would ask. It rides really good i can hit bumps doing like 40 and its smooth. After I stiffen up the rear it may get even better cuz it feels like it bottoms out some times hitting large holes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
measure front inside tire to inside tire? What is stock width?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea that looks like it. I guess some one just put gorilla axles in it. Is there any way to tell if there really gorilla axles? I mean they got the stickers on them but I need to replace some of the boots so need to know if there real gorilla axles. I saw some number engraved on the but dont remember what they were. Just asking but with all this work done to the rhino what do you think its worth? o and also they said it just had a motor put in at a yamaha dealer and when they did that they put a digital dash "for warranty purposes" says it has like 125 miles and like 25 hours

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it does need some work like all wheel bearings and the boots and maybe some maintenance. Also is it normal for when i slow down it to make like a vibrating/ grinding noise only when ur like slowing to come to a stop

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That maybe the noise then

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
The noise is prb your oneway bearing if it does it when you are slowing down or coming down hill. If its a grinding noise when you slow down i would guess its the oneway.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I may sound clueless but I kinda am this is my first cvt set up I've always has hondas but what do I need to do to fix it?

·
Registered
674 Posts
One way bearing is a simple fix, an easy test to do is put it in park and try to push it forward if it rolls forward, you need a bearing they are like 100$ and super easy to change

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
One way bearing is a simple fix, an easy test to do is put it in park and try to push it forward if it rolls forward, you need a bearing they are like 100$ and super easy to change

I dont think his 04 has park. Go down hill and let off the gas if it makes the noise or dosent seem like the engine brakeing is workin its the oneway.

·
Registered
674 Posts

I dont think his 04 has park. Go down hill and let off the gas if it makes the noise or dosent seem like the engine brakeing is workin its the oneway.
Haha I didn't mean park lol, just put it in gear and try to push forward

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know if I'm goin at a good speed and let of the gas the engine breaks cuz I can fell it slowing down by the engine and that's when it makes the noise. So I guess its working just noisy maybe? I'll try to push it in gear also just to make sure

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
It can still work but if its making the noise when you let off the gas then its gonna be your oneway. Its kinda a grinding scratching noise.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I wouldn't use Gorilla CV boots. I was constantly replacing mine then I started using universal boots made by Dorman, part number 614-001 (about 20.00 at the store, 15.00 if you search online). They are inexpensive and available at most major autoparts stores so if you tear one and need it right away they are available over the counter. Also since I found Gorillas such a pain in the ass to disassemble I purchased a Dorman 614-030 quick change boot tool which allows you to swap boots without taking the axle apart (110.00 through amazon). If its a lower boot no need to even take the axle out.

Amazon.com: Dorman 614-030 HELP! Universal Fit CV Boot Air Tool: Automotive

Dorman/Quick Boot - CV (614-001) | AutoZone.com

1 - 20 of 29 Posts