Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I'd like to get a aftermarket CDI for my 2004 Rhino 660. I am looking into Hunterworks Tri-Fire or the MSD Charge. Which one do you all suggest and why? My rhino is stock right now, but I just ordered Rutting Rhino's jet kit. I'm not looking to race my rhino, just looking for a little better overall performance. Thanks
Tyler

·
Vendor
9,660 Posts
The main advantage of the Hunterworks over the MSD is the timing advancement. The hunterworks is also double the cost of the MSD. If I was to get a CDI box with the timing advancement I would go with the Dynatek which offers a life time warranty over a 1 year warranty as it is comparable pricing to the Hunterworks.

·
Vendor
9,660 Posts
DynaTek DFS7-13 Rhino 660 CDI Box

Details
Dynatek FS Ignition CDI / Rev Box For The 660 Rhino Model Years 04-07.

Built For The Rhino, Not For The Grizzly 660. Compatible With Or Without The Rhino Digital Dash

Advances Timing Giving Vastly Improved Power Across The Power Band.

Increases RPM From Stock 7700 RPM To 9000 RPM.

Caution! No Forward or Reverse Vehicle Speed Limiter. This Unit Will Run Full Speed In Reverse

$209.95

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From my research, the Hunterworks is only $50 more than the MSD Charge. I have heard that the Huterworks can start the rhino better in the cold than the stock CDI and the MSD Charge. Can anybody confirm this?

·
Registered
581 Posts
A MSD Charge pt# 4240 for the Rhino 660 does have timing advance in it. I believe it is 4 or 5 degrees of linear increase. If advanced timing and increased rev-limit are what you are looking for then bang for your buck the MSD is the best deal. If you plan to do additional mods down the road I would recommend MSD pt# 4217 Single cylinder Programmable CDI and a 42171 harness to match for the Rhino.

Nate
Alba Racing

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
From my research, the Hunterworks is only $50 more than the MSD Charge. I have heard that the Huterworks can start the rhino better in the cold than the stock CDI and the MSD Charge. Can anybody confirm this?

The better starting when very cold out is due to Hunterworks Tri Fire being a true multispark ignition.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The easier cold starting that is supposed to come with the Tri-Fire, is the main reason that I am looking at the Hunterworks. I plan on plowing with my rhino, and being from upstate NY, it would be nice to have the rhino start up a little better in the cold.

Does anyone have the Hunterworks Tri-Fire CDI and also lives in a cold area that can tell me how their rhino does in the cold?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there anyone here who has experience with the Hunterworks and the Dynatek or MSD that can compare them? Thanks

·
Registered
188 Posts
Is there anyone here who has experience with the Hunterworks and the Dynatek or MSD that can compare them? Thanks
I run the Tri Fire on my 06'. Had a ProComm and the cold starting was a bit$h!!!

Put the TriFire on it 2 years ago, and I am very pleased with its' performance. It fires up RIGHT NOW when cold. I like the ability of the "valet switch" that limits top speed when the kiddies drive it around.

FWIW. C-Ya!!

·
Registered
500 Posts
From my experience the Tri Fire on my old 08 450 helped it start easier in 0 degree weather. The "Brother-N-Law switch is nice for relatives who want to drive it and you can limit them some. I gained a couple of mph also with the rev limited raised. It was personally one of the best modes I bought for my 08 450. I now have a 2011 700 and with the tri fire on the 08 450 starts almost as easy as my 700 does. I have never used the MSD charge so I can not compare them. I will be looking to get the MSD for the 700 sooner or later though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, it seems as of right now, I am leaning towards the MSD. I don't think that the "brother in law" switch, and the reverse rev limiter delete of the Hunterworks are really that important to me. As for the tri-fire of the Hunterworks, I might just throw in a iridium plug with the MSD and hope that will be a little better.

·
Registered
161 Posts

The better starting when very cold out is due to Hunterworks Tri Fire being a true multispark ignition.
Considering MSD is an acronym for " Multiple Spark Discharge" I would assume that is was multi spark also.
From my drag racing past, MSD actually fires 6 times per spark, I've seen it on an ociliscope. Does this not hold true in the ATV products?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts

Considering MSD is an acronym for " Multiple Spark Discharge" I would assume that is was multi spark also.
From my drag racing past, MSD actually fires 6 times per spark, I've seen it on an ociliscope. Does this not hold true in the ATV products?
You know what they say when you assume, hahaha!!!! j/k. I have no experience with the MSD unit for the 660, but the MSD FI Charge for the 700, is not multi spark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
so y is the msd better than the dynatek for the 700?

·
Registered
60 Posts
can sum1 tell me y for the 700 msd is better than dynatek? Is it just personal pref. or is there facts of y one is better than the other?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.