Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an oil consumption issue. I am new to Rhinos so please, excuse my ignorance.
Checking the oil.....
I drove my 04 660 for 60miles. I checked dipstick by pulling stick and then checking without threading it back in. Nothing showed on dipstick. I added about 1/2 quart and it looked topped up. Engine does NOT smoke and runs fine.

Questions: Is this proper method of checking?
What compression number should I have?
If I go to Big Bore piston and barrel, do I necessarily need to change the head?
Is the new barrel honed and ready for install?

Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
582 Posts
That’s the correct way to check your oil level-wait about a 4-5 minutes after shutting the engine down. Rhinos have lots of windage in the case, plus many other factors which contribute to oil loss-so ck it often. The Cylinder head works on all size bores-compression, I have never built a 9:1 engine, a fresh top
End guessing 170 +- 10psi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
582 Posts
Oh- best to go with the stock factory cylinder/jug ...have that one bored to fit the new piston ,aftermarket ones, some don’t fit the cases,sleeves drops and cheaply made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had the exact same problem. Rhino seemed to run very well though, good power, started at the touch off the key, etc. If you're using synthetic oil, you won't see it smoke.

I finally broke down and tore the top end apart. Very worn piston, rings and cylinder. Mine had about 3,500 miles on it. I had the stock cylinder bored out ($85) because I didn't want to take chances with a chinese kit. Put it all back together no more oil consumption issues.

No work needed to the cylinder head for a big bore, but obviously you'll need the correct head gasket for your bore.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an oil consumption issue. I am new to Rhinos so please, excuse my ignorance.
Checking the oil.....
I drove my 04 660 for 60miles. I checked dipstick by pulling stick and then checking without threading it back in. Nothing showed on dipstick. I added about 1/2 quart and it looked topped up. Engine does NOT smoke and runs fine.

Questions: Is this proper method of checking?
What compression number should I have?
If I go to Big Bore piston and barrel, do I necessarily need to change the head?
Is the new barrel honed and ready for install?

Many thanks in advance!
I had the same problem with my 2004 rhino 660. I put a 686 big bore cyclinder with new piston and rings to match. Everything is working great. Did put new valve seals on but had to change them as they just didnt seal good and had a little smoke going up hill. I ordered the red rubber ones off ebay from a seller in california. Talked to him before puchasing. He said he ran dune side by sides and 4 wheels hard out in the desert. Said I would like the red rubber ones and he was right. They sealed quick.
I took it on myself to modify the valve cover vent. Ran the hose attached up to a drilled hole in roll cage with 1/4 pipe to tubing adapter instead of everything venting to air cleaner box. Works great. If oil gets pushed up at valve cover,because of all the enteral pressure inside 660 engines. It runs back down when engine is not running. Oil level stays full. Got all kinds of extra power now, going up hills and etc. Did upgrade battery to full size 650 cranking amps battery with extra ground. Jerry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts