Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

How To Make A Rhino Less Likely to Roll Over

10K views 30 replies 29 participants last post by  The Juice 
#1 ·
I have been hearing all the ads for lawyers on a feeding frenzy over the alleged roll over tendencies of some Rhino models. Needless to say that has me a little concerned. What are you guys doing to reduce that tendency if anything. Is there a way to widen the stance. Is Yamaha offering free doors and hang on straps as mentioned in some of the lawyer info.

I have my eyes on a very reasonably priced Rhino but just want to make it a safe vehicle for me and my family. My youngest is 17 and he already is doing off-road riding in a older Ranger so he is my main concern. Welcome your feedback guys!

#2 ·
I have been hearing all the ads for lawyers on a feeding frenzy over the alleged roll over tendencies of some Rhino models. Needless to say that has me a little concerned. What are you guys doing to reduce that tendency if anything. Is there a way to widen the stance. Is Yamaha offering free doors and hang on straps as mentioned in some of the lawyer info.

I have my eyes on a very reasonably priced Rhino but just want to make it a safe vehicle for me and my family. My youngest is 17 and he already is doing off-road riding in a older Ranger so he is my main concern. Welcome your feedback guys!
Make sure it has doors, 4 or 5 point harness,wrist retraints. you can get spacers for a wider stance, or a +3 to +6 inch lt kit. Most of all, learn how to drive it.
no sharp turns at 40 m.p.h
Don't let those ambulance chasers scare you either, people who sue cause there stupid is just wrong and lawyers who try to sue for stupid people's own negligence are even worse. You should know you can't stop a 1200lb vehicle with your leg.

#4 ·
Learn the machine. Don't drive outside your skill level. I've had mine for 3 years and have put over 1000 HARD miles on it and have only come close to rolling it once. Don't be afraid of what you read. They are safer then the reports claim. I agree on the safety items though. They come with good enough doors now to protect your legs and a good set of Harness's are a must. Be safe and have fun. They are a blast. :headbang:

#5 ·
Spacing the wheels out is the best advice to reduce rolling. The protect the occupant in the event of a roll. Need a device to keep the legs in. Some leg protector or door. Passenger should have something to hol,d so there hands won't get caught in the rollbar and then get a harness and lose the stock belts.

#6 ·
Good grief, I have had mine for three years and have never come close to rolling it. You can roll anything if you ride fast enough, but the way the lawyers talk, they will tip over on flat ground at slow speeds.

I ride mine in the hills and when I want to go somewhere that I know I can't on my Grizzly, I use the Rhino.

I agree that if you are going to be riding very fast you should go with spacers or off set wheels and the shoulder harness set up, but for "normal" riding you are in no real danger. I would go with the doors as you can get them free and they do provide a certain amount of protection.

While I ride pretty sedately, my sons don't and we have never experienced any problems. I did recently go with a set of Maxxis Bighorns on ITP 212 rims which made it wider as I was getting a set for my Grizzly and my tires were worn, but didn't do it out of safety concerns.

One thing I have done as a safety precaution in case one of my grandkids ever want to ride it is put a Hunterworks Tri Fire CDI that has a switch to keep the speed around thirty and to keep it from accelerating rapidly. When switch off, the CDI increases the top speed and gives really good acceleration.

#7 ·
I have rolled mine once in over 4,000 miles jumping a fallen tree climbing a mountainside in an icestorm... So try not to do that and you should be good...

Actually a little common sense is all it takes but don't assume that your teenager has any.. They are pretty safe to roll but the objective is to let it go over without sticking body parts out of the cage...

#8 ·
I've had my 08 since Feb. 08 and only rolled it twice. I haven't had the pleasure of rolling the 09 yet! The key is to stay inside the roll cage. 4-5 point belts are a good idea, although I haven't gotten any yet.
Oh yea! one other thing, I had a few adult beverages before both of my rolls, maybe not such a good idea, and really bad on the cooler in the back.

#11 ·
I've had my 08 since Feb. 08 and only rolled it twice. I haven't had the pleasure of rolling the 09 yet! The key is to stay inside the roll cage. 4-5 point belts are a good idea, although I haven't gotten any yet.
Oh yea! one other thing, I had a few adult beverages before both of my rolls, maybe not such a good idea, and really bad on the cooler in the back.
Makes it easier to slither out of the seatbelt though.

#10 ·
If your worried about the rhino rolling and hurting people then do the smart thing...buy a bunch of quads for the family, i hear that there safe and never roll. i mean seriously, sueing a manufacturure over a vehicle that has a roll cage and seatbelts when quads have no saftey features, get real.
i would definately recomend some 4 pt harnesses though cause the stock belts are a pain in the ass to get undone when your hanging upside down.:32:

#13 · (Edited)
nikker knob

Probably the best thing I bought for mine and never have rolled it is a nikker knob on the steering wheel. This gives you a super quick response from over correcting. But I grew up on tractors and hilo's that had these and it comes natural to ride with it.
I also have 1.75, spacers in the rear
Look at my steering wheel and you will see the knob, I had some pix of me doing donuts in sand but must they are to big. RB

#14 ·
Long travel kits make these things very stable. With the right suspension setup, a skilled driver and long travel kit you should not have any problems. I've never even come close to rolling my Rhino with this setup and I'm not afraid to overdo the limits of the machine. Most people that roll a Rhino and sue Yamaha should of probably never been driving in the first place.

#16 ·
I like to call it -assumed risk. Once you sit in, fire up and drive a Rhino or any other atv, utv, you assume the inherent risks involved and shouldn't try to SUE someone for your own lack of driving skill or experience. The blood sucking lawyers see big company like Yamaha and are just looking for a payday. My advise is, learn how to ride/drive, use common sense, don't drive past your ability level and you will have lots of fun. Enjoy!

#17 ·
i personaly like the 5 point harness over the 4 point. keeps you more secure

#20 ·
i wouldn't buy one if i was u. mine rolls over just stepping in it every time too dammit. once i went to the garage and found it upside down . i could tell by the damage that it rolled 6 times in the there over night. bastards are bowling balls

#22 ·
I recommend a 4 or 5 point harness your better secured in the vihicle than the stock three point...and of coarse like others have already said - COMMON SENCE -

#25 ·
Drinking + Driving = broke Rhino : )

#26 · (Edited)
Don't drive beyond your skill level.

Add spacers to the wheels if you like and then.. Don't drive beyond your skill level.

Buy a good safe roll cage with doors and then.. Don't drive beyond your skill level.

It looks like a cute toy but it is a machine intended for extreme driving in extreme conditions.

The people that didn't follow these rules, sadly are not here anymore to tell you themselves.

Plan to run out of talent but do everything you can not to. There is nothing wrong with the machine. You have to hold yourself accountable for driver error.

#30 ·
I rip all over in my rhino and corner hard with it and I have never rolled it in almost 3000 miles (dosn't mean it can't happen because anything, especially an off road vehicle, can roll) I was running wide open down a dirt road the other day and on a corner I hit some ice and snow that was still on the ground and the back tires kicked out. as soon as it happened I was back in the sand and the rear tires cought and I started to go up on two wheels at about 40mph. I used some good old driving skill and turned slightly into the roll and let off the throttle. The machine came right back around. That is the closest I have ever been to rolling it and it was ALL MY FAULT!! In my opinion these are very stable machines. You should have no problems with a stock rhino unless you try something you cannot do...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.