Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know costs are different in different areas but I'm looking for a ballpark estimate.

I have an 04 660 with a little over 2k miles/335 hours. I changed oil and it started smoking out the tail pipe. Its using about a 1/4 -1/3 quart every 8-10 miles. I haven't rode it much since it started with this problem. It seems to have compression and it starts almost immediately. It doesn't smoke at idle until after I drive it around a bit and then it clears up after a minute. I'm thinking its not valve seals but maybe rings. I pulled the intake side valve adjuster cover and every thing is very clean on the top side.

So how much to re-ring/hone it if I can get just that done? If you have done this yourself what did parts cost? If you have a shop how much do you charge for that?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know costs are different in different areas but I'm looking for a ballpark estimate.

I have an 04 660 with a little over 2k miles/335 hours. I changed oil and it started smoking out the tail pipe. Its using about a 1/4 -1/3 quart every 8-10 miles. I haven't rode it much since it started with this problem. It seems to have compression and it starts almost immediately. It doesn't smoke at idle until after I drive it around a bit and then it clears up after a minute. I'm thinking its not valve seals but maybe rings. I pulled the intake side valve adjuster cover and every thing is very clean on the top side.

So how much to re-ring/hone it if I can get just that done? If you have done this yourself what did parts cost? If you have a shop how much do you charge for that?
You can get a complete top end kit with gaskets and everything for around 150 - 200 bucks. A shop wouldn't charge much to hone it, probably like 40 bucks or something. You could do it yourself in a few hours, hard to get to everything but once you have the access to the engine enough to do the top end, it's fairly straight forward if you have a manual to work from. I would imagine a shop would probably charge you book hours which I don't know how many the book says it takes but I'd guess a shop would charge in the neighborhood of 500 bucks? Could be way off, but that's my guess.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts