Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else ever noticed the wires from your stator getting hot? I got the Rhino back together last night and was bleeding the coolant and just happened to touch the wires coming out of the engine case and noticed they were hot. Hot all the way to the plugs but didn't wait to see if the other side of the plugs were hot. I realize they are carrying amperage and coming out of the crankcase where hot oil is but just have never felt them before.

It's making power good but the just get hot. I expect them to be hot at the case from heat off the engine but that far back has me stumped.
I am going to check my connections and clean them and see if maybe I have created a resistor of sorts with oil or something else........

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well since no one has chimed in I will just update. I checked the voltage output and it is approx 28 volts.....way to much!!
I have a call into RMStator about this and am waiting to hear from them. I suspect the Stator is about to fry and take some other things with it.
So it is down for a little longer!!
I may have to eat crow over this stator!!!!!!!!YUCK!!!

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Well since no one has chimed in I will just update. I checked the voltage output and it is approx 28 volts.....way to much!!
I have a call into RMStator about this and am waiting to hear from them. I suspect the Stator is about to fry and take some other things with it.
That voltage reading is not neccessarily too high. That is AC voltage, not the DC voltage coming out of the rectifier/regulator module further downstream. There is a voltage measurement reduction involved at the rectification into DC. You should see between 14 and 14.8 V DC at the battery while it is running without any power being drawn by accessories, lights, or whatever else.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That voltage reading is not neccessarily too high. That is AC voltage, not the DC voltage coming out of the rectifier/regulator module further downstream. There is a voltage measurement reduction involved at the rectification into DC. You should see between 14 and 14.8 V DC at the battery while it is running without any power being drawn by accessories, lights, or whatever else.
Thanks for the reply but my concern is the wires that are getting so hot that they are almost to the point of melting. That's what I told RMStator the regulator is doing it's job but I am concerned about the wiring and the potential damage to the rectifier/regulator.
I guess I will wait and see what they say. I am still leaning toward changing it anyway to protect everything else.
I called Hot Rod earlier today and He can get me one at a decent price. I am going to see what RMStator says......I will let you you know. Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hot Wires...

Soarkrebel, just read this Hot Wires thread, been almost a year since you brought up your concern on your stator wires seeming to run very hot to the touch. What did you end up doing? What did RM Stator say?

My '06 660 quit charging about 2 or 3 months ago. I found the stator wires under the dog house, about five inches past the belly pan wire connector towards the rectifier had melted and shorted together. When I pulled the connector, it was clean and dry with no sign of corrosion, and tested at 19 volts a.c. at an idle between the three wires coming from the stator. I cut out about 3" of melted together wires, and spliced them back together. It has been charging OK for the last 28 hours of run time. I suspected the stator wire harness must have somehow rubbed on the radiator return metal line causing the wires to melt, since it was right next to it, but maybe not. Will have to check how hot the wires are getting next time I take off the engine cover.

I mentioned it in this thread;
http://www.rhinoforums.net/lighting...arge-system-failure-plz-hlp-3.html#post653501
:azflag:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Soarkrebel, just read this Hot Wires thread, been almost a year since you brought up your concern on your stator wires seeming to run very hot to the touch. What did you end up doing? What did RM Stator say?

My '06 660 quit charging about 2 or 3 months ago. I found the stator wires under the dog house, about five inches past the belly pan wire connector towards the rectifier had melted and shorted together. When I pulled the connector, it was clean and dry with no sign of corrosion, and tested at 19 volts a.c. at an idle between the three wires coming from the stator. I cut out about 3" of melted together wires, and spliced them back together. It has been charging OK for the last 28 hours of run time. I suspected the stator wire harness must have somehow rubbed on the radiator return metal line causing the wires to melt, since it was right next to it, but maybe not. Will have to check how hot the wires are getting next time I take off the engine cover.

I mentioned it in this thread;
http://www.rhinoforums.net/lighting...arge-system-failure-plz-hlp-3.html#post653501
:azflag:
Sorry I haven't seen this until now. I have been working a lot lately and it gets into my internet time. Absolutely no issues with the stator since then and the wires get warm but not real hot. RM Stator started giving me the run around ...I talked with a rep of theirs and couldn't understand half of what He said. I had already decided and had a OEM Stator installed and chalked it up to just a bad purchase. I am sure some have had good luck with them but I didn't. So far the OEM has been rocking on and knock on wood ...I hope I don't have anymore issues with the stator.
I still haven't decided to add another battery for duals or just add a bigger battery and get rid of that little lawn mower battery. I have been leaning toward a bigger battery under the drivers seat. My concern is can the stator keep a big battery charged but then again if it can keep two charged why not one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.