Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Home Built Tailgate ?? (complete)

I just bought an 08 Rhino that was hit in the tailgate and bed by another rider. The gate is trashed and so are the bed pivot points but I am fixing them and the bed. I can by a replacement cover but the hinges are crap so I am going to build my own. Has anybody built their own tailgate? If so, pictures please?

Thank you,

Steve

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am in Georgia. I am not looking to buy a replacement, not right now anyway. My son and I do allot of fab work so we are just going to build one.
Thanks for the offer though,

STeve

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
new tailgate

well, I pulled the bed off and had to make a new bracket to hold the hinges for the tailgate. Also had to straighten the release bar, it was bent pretty good. Spent a couple hours hammering out the bed and got it pretty straight, and I welded a piece of angle iron to it for strength. Then I built the tailgate out of some 1" angle iron, 1" square tubing and some 1 1/4 tubing we had. Welded it all together and put some steel mesh on the outside, and used some tubing and bolts for the hinges. Bought new plastic coated cable and bolted them to the original brackets and locations. I know it weighs a little more than the factory one but it is way stronger. What do you think?
Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Automotive tire

Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Truck bed part Pickup truck

Automotive exterior Gas Vehicle Auto part Metal

·
Registered
519 Posts
Now that's a gate you can safely sit on! Nice.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Looks great. The flow through of air ought to have some benefit in reducing the dust back-flow circulation.

·
Registered
519 Posts
OK I will see what I can do. I done two the same way. I just need to figure out how to insert a photo, have never done that yet. When I click the Insert Image icon it is looking for a link not a browse line, so got to figure that out. Any tips will be appreciated- old dogs can learn lol.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
OK I will see what I can do. I done two the same way. I just need to figure out how to insert a photo, have never done that yet. When I click the Insert Image icon it is looking for a link not a browse line, so got to figure that out. Any tips will be appreciated- old dogs can learn lol.
I use photobucket as a server for photos that I might want to post. Unlike many of the image host sites this one is free. If there is a drawback, they are trying to sell you print-outs of your photos, so you get mail messages from them.

You will want to resize the file beforehand such that it is perhaps 640 pixels wide and no more than say, 800 pixels wide. It sort of depends on the picture and what it takes to have it clearly display what the reader might need to see. The "30 million pixel", or similar, camera defaults are a bit much, to say the least. You should be able to resize and save-as from most any image viewing/editing app.

After you set up an account. you upload the image file (.jpg, etc.). Give it a short name for reference. Go into into your album and click on the new photo. Then click on "Direct" to copy the url for the link to the hosted image file. This will be the link that you can use for 'inserting the photo'. Or you can manually post a photo by simply pasting the link into your message and surround it with "
" which tells the browser to fetch the image and display it.

It takes a bit of fiddling around to get the hang of it. I usually create a text file in my computer directory containing the file, named ImageHost.txt and paste the link on a line with a description as to what the file is named above that line. I can then simply copy that link the next time that I might want to post the image.

An example below. You can hit the "reply with quote" button and you will see the link address and surrounding "img" instructions for the browser. Simply back out of the reply window ('Back arrow, <' in the browser control bar) if you have nothing that you want to say.

A link to where you can register and try it out: Photo and image hosting, free photo galleries, photo editing

·
Registered
519 Posts
Thx for Feedback SteveS- so it appears that I cannot insert a file in this message box of any format. I find that extremely stupid-just my opinion. I believe on the other sites it just gives a message that the file is too large if at first you don't resize it. Last time I went to a Photobucket invitation on another site, I picked-up a vicious bug of some type that took hours to get cleaned off. I am not inclined to do it again and I will admit I am not the sharpest tool in the electronic shed, but I am not sure my ego of wanting to do this is going to overcome my comfort level of not doing it.
zeke- send me a PM with an email and I will send you some photos.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you reply using the "advanced" option you should be able to add a picture. I took pictures with a camera and saved them in my documents file on a desktop computer. (yes, desktop, I'm old too)
Click the gemclip (paperclip) and go to "upload a file from your computer" and find the picture you want. Click the "upload" button and then I closed that window, nothing. I opened it again and it was there. Just like this one

Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Registered
519 Posts
Thx zeke. I fiddled with that way a little and so will take some photos tomorrow and try to load. Appreciate the help. But I am not old, just suffering from receding youth, lol.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Hope this works.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Auto part

Vehicle Car Windshield Auto part Automotive exterior

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive exterior
The cage is in progress. I have the bungs to go at the projections so I will still be able to make dump bed semi-active. The front checker plate has a grove to receive my soft top when needed. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Auto part Tire

Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Auto part Car

Details: this is a 6" chop- I am 6'-1" tall I highly recommend the shoulder harnesses as the cage is close. If you chop this much and wear a helmet you will prob be bumping it. I wear an industrial bump cap and glad I have a couple times when I had the harness too loose. I recommend stockcarsteel.com for your tubing needs. I have ordered a couple times and the service is great and pricing fair. You can get the bungs off ebay or maybe in a rhino graveyard if you desire that route. I am going to finish mine this winter.....

·
Registered
130 Posts
Jim, I would like to chop my top also, but I don't think that I would go 6". I think 3 or 4" would be better for me as I am also 6' 1", or at least I was before my "receding youth" set in!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I like how you lost the ugly radius in the rear, I'd really like to see what you do at the projections? I was actually thinking about cutting 4" to 5" of each up-tube then turning all 4 up-tubes 90 deg toward each other. Then tie each side together then add 4 tubes front to rear with some bend in them. I want to put a small bend in each up-tube too to get away from the square look, and add a bar across the front maybe 10 inches off the dash. I also want rear bars going down along the bed, maybe to a bumper of some sort. I still want the functionality of the dump bed. Not eactly sure but I'm starting on it tomorrow. I am 5' 11". Tube doors will be next.
Thank you.
Steve

1 - 20 of 23 Posts