Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So out wheeling today played good n hard and coming home i could smell this awfull smell of differential oil, home in the driveway washed it all of, and on the front diff, pass side there is a hole looks like the size of a ball bearing went through it. All the oil prob water/ oil leaked out... the oil looked like grey antiseeze, all under neath of it, so we assumed water got init too. Was there a problem with the diffs on a 08 700efi rhino?? all stock. And is it a hard job to get out i pressure washed it all off and was going to start to take it out tommorow! Axles out, skid plate off, drive shaft off, maby i could get the case welded i know its aluminum. 4 wheel drive still worked fine..

·
Administrator
2,229 Posts
Probably the ring gear bolts loosened up, backed out, and ripped the case...high HP_Rotax guys usually spot weld the bolt heads just enough to prevent backing out .....Lance

...sent with TapaTalk...please excuse brevity & no smileys

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it wasnt my bolts that backed of 3 holes in the case one of the smaller spider gears a tooth broke of and made its away around everything but everything else is good except that one gear case could be welded no problem!!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Yep, ring gear bolts backed out. Be sure to at least use red locktite on the new ones, or even tack weld the bolts to the ring gear to be extra certain.

·
Administrator
2,229 Posts
it wasnt my bolts that backed of 3 holes in the case one of the smaller spider gears a tooth broke of and made its away around everything but everything else is good except that one gear case could be welded no problem!!
Post up a pic here when you get into it.....WE WANT TO SEE THE CARNAGE!!.....j/k....:fingersx:........Lance

·
Registered
39 Posts
Were you able to find some spider gears, or did you have to buy the whole assembly? Looking at Yamaha parts fiche, it looks like you have to buy the ring gear, carrier, spider gears, etc. as an assembly. I need a carrier, but don't want to buy a whole assembly.

·
Registered
277 Posts
That's what happened to mine also. The spider gears sheared a few teeth. I have the same question as above. Could you order the spider gears or the whole assembly?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no you have to buy the whole crown with everything in it 400$ lol i just bought a used front diff for 300$ of a member on here !!

·
Registered
277 Posts
That's what I was afraid of. I've already been to the classifieds.

·
Registered
112 Posts
well it happend
my son pulled the rhino in the garage 10' this morning so the wife could leave. went out an hr later and all gear oil leaked out. right under the fill plug there is rip in the case that is about 1" long. does that sound like the bolt on the gear coming loose? it doesn't make any noise

·
Registered
389 Posts
The oil looked like anti sieze because the aluminum shavings (Dust) from the case mixed with the oil causes the oil to turn grey. If it was water mixed with the gear oil it would be a tan milky color.

·
Registered
112 Posts
mine looked exactly like antisieze too. how hard is it too get the dif out of the machine? do you pull the radiator, any tricks to get it done?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Pull your upper arm off of the Spindle and you should be able to slide your axles out enough. unbolt the diff and slide it for to remove the spline in the drive shaft. pretty easy. From what I hear if you have a BB kit or high HP you should weld the ring bolts. You will need to tach weld the washer to the ring gear and the bolt head to the washer. If you only do the head of the bolt to the washer it can still back out. Or some people are using loc tite. Up to you

·
Registered
112 Posts
thanks, gonna pull it out tomorow night maybe. i'm sure thats whats wrong becuase it looks to be a circlular hole or a rip starting to wear thru the case.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No pretty simple jack up take wheels of loosen axle nuts upper and lower ball joints skid plate a arm protectors then swing hubs out over axel then pull axles out then transfer case bolts front drive shaft a electrical connector for t case and then drop down!!!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I pulled the skid plate and dropped it out of the bottom.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts