Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009, 700. I've already checked the reverse switch. Unplugged it and would only go 20 mph. Made sure I was in high. Will only go 19 in low. Removed intake up to throttle body to be sure nothing was restricted. Changed the spark plug.

It sounded like the rpms were high so I put a gauge on it. In neutral and while driving it's hitting 6,000, but will only go 25 mph. I pulled the cover off the cvt and watched the sheaves. The belt rides up to about 3/4" from the top of the primary. I think it should go all the way to the top, but not positive. Can anyone tell me how high the belt should ride on the primary? I've taken the belt off and moved both the primary and secondary sheaves. The primary moves very easily in and out by hand. Farther than it moves by revving the motor with the belt on. Using a pry bar I can spread the secondary apart till it looks like it's almost hitting the back of the box.

It has very good bottom end. Takes off like it always has. Once you get above 15 is when it sounds like the rmps are getting too high and it doesn't pull as hard.

I'm out of ideas to look at. Is there something I missed? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
3/4" are you sure...?

From the top of the belt to the top of the sheave...it should be a lot closer to the top than 3/4" but not all the way...it would only be all the way to the top (and then some) with OD weights or machined sheave...

So if your sheave is stock 1/4 to 3/8 from top would be more like it...

If it pulls hard from a stop then it's not likely to be your wet clutch...

The first thing to do is remove your primary sheave and inspect it...you probably have broken rollers or one or more in sideways...that would let it shift out farther in neutral than it would be able to while under load so the fact you are not getting full shift out in neutral means your likely getting a lot less shift out under load...

Its not hard...just remove the cage and then remove the nut with impact...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks RuttingRhino. I just figured it out. I forgot to mention I have greaseless weights. I was thinking "muck" wouldn't be an issue for the greaseless weights. I was very wrong. The sheave was caked with mud on the inside. Cleaned it up and took it for a quick spin. Easily hit 52!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Thanks RuttingRhino. I just figured it out. I forgot to mention I have greaseless weights. I was thinking "muck" wouldn't be an issue for the greaseless weights. I was very wrong. The sheave was caked with mud on the inside. Cleaned it up and took it for a quick spin. Easily hit 52!
Do you mud quite a bit?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@oldmustangjunkie

Yes. I live in Florida, so that's about all we have. Other than my trips to Carolina Adventure World, it's all mudding. Never had this problem before though. I've had the 700 for a little over a year and have had my 660 since 08. Both with greaseless weights.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts