Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
high-flow intake vs just a putting a new filter in my airbox

Im getting ready to get either a intaake or filter for my rhino and I'm going to jet it as well when I do so. My question is how much of a gain will you get with a intake over just a high flow filter in a stock bxox? Is it really worth the money?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Garret...I am sure if you wanted my opinion you would have asked for it...

Too bad I am the only one on here that actually knows... :biggrin:
No worries Craig I will b buying from you I just wanted some opinions of ppl who may have swapped from a filter to a intake I've read everything u have said about them just wanted some customers opinions

i gained 3 more mph top end with a full open intake over a adapter bolt on in stock box,
That's a pretty dang big difference... mine will run 55 right now and all I have is a should sheave and greasless setup and greasless setup ... it def feels stouter than what I starter with but still underpowered. I want all the power I can get my hands on haha. But I don't Pike to waste money on mods that do nothing

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Yea exhaust will come later... I just can't bring myself to drop 700 on exhaust yet but when I do I will put some muzzys on it

Look into a kms header. I dont think they are to expensive and i have read they help alot plus you can keep the stock muffler. Or keep your eyes open for a used dual system. I just picked one up for wayyyyy cheaper than $700!! :bike4::bike4:

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
I do like Craigs intakes tho but i have read alot that with a stock carb you are better off to leave the airbox on and lid on for the best performance???
I read the same info.... IT'S BS! lol

when I got my rhino jetted correctly with my open filter intake, the throttle response is rediculous! I drove a friends closed airbox jetted with AFR, both stock motors mine is by far better. way more punch out of the hole and top end.

just call up Craig get his intake and jet kit!

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Yea exhaust will come later... I just can't bring myself to drop 700 on exhaust yet but when I do I will put some muzzys on it

Look into a kms header. I dont think they are to expensive and i have read they help alot plus you can keep the stock muffler. Or keep your eyes open for a used dual system. I just picked one up for wayyyyy cheaper than $700!! :bike4::bike4:
Hold off on buying a KMS header, Kelly is developing a new header. The way it mounts to the head is awesome! I will provide feedback after some more testing. The KMS header does help alot, adding more torque all through the torque band.

KMS has a intake/3 filter setup for the Rhino that works! I did 6 dyno runs on my rhino with UMP setup, stock-lid on lid off, K&N & UNI with Dragonfire Billet intake. The KMS intake outperformed all! Between all there was a *hp difference.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts

Hold off on buying a KMS header, Kelly is developing a new header. The way it mounts to the head is awesome! I will provide feedback after some more testing. The KMS header does help alot, adding more torque all through the torque band.

KMS has a intake/3 filter setup for the Rhino that works! I did 6 dyno runs on my rhino with UMP setup, stock-lid on lid off, K&N & UNI with Dragonfire Billet intake. The KMS intake outperformed all! Between all there was a *hp difference.

Where do you get this intake at??

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Garret...I am sure if you wanted my opinion you would have asked for it...

Too bad I am the only one on here that actually knows... :biggrin:
No worries Craig I will b buying from you I just wanted some opinions of ppl who may have swapped from a filter to a intake I've read everything u have said about them just wanted some customers opinions

i gained 3 more mph top end with a full open intake over a adapter bolt on in stock box,
That's a pretty dang big difference... mine will run 55 right now and all I have is a should sheave and greasless setup and greasless setup ... it def feels stouter than what I starter with but still underpowered. I want all the power I can get my hands on haha. But I don't Pike to waste money on mods that do nothing
Thanks Garret you know I was just teasing you... :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,490 Posts

Where do you get this intake at??
Intake tube with filters are direct from KMSPerformance in Phoenix.

Yes, I do have the Dyno sheets as well does KMS.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
kms intake , rutting rhino intake, full complete k&N intake, all the same and will gain all the same hp #'s. - with a paper filter
Frank,

I agree with you that the difference in power among the three is hair splitting at best...

However, there is a big difference in features...one is or at least appears to be collection of off the shelf parts (and there is nothing wrong with that but it is what it is) ...the other two are custom made...

Ours fits like a glove...has the heavy duty off road fabric...a huge amount of surface area...makes great power gains over stock even with a stock exhaust...heavy steel mounting bracket...keeps filter up higher and thus can be in deeper water than the others without taking a drink (not that we recommend pushing your luck on that)...and comes with a complete jet kit...

On EVERY intake and jet kit I sell I encourage customers to use the DIY-dyno method for tuning and before/after product testing so they know EXACTLY what the product did or did not do for them...and encourage them to post results in our bench racing thread...have any of you seen anyone else do the same...and why would I do such a thing if I didn't know for a fact already that the product works...???

Our intake actually fits perfect, and actually works great, and actually comes with a complete jet kit, and is actually very mechanically solidly mounted with custom-made, first-class mounting hardware that is very easy to access for on/off...!

Having run all three versions Frank mentioned.... plus a whole more variations of the same theme over a period of many years...on everything from stock motors with stock carbs/exhaust to fully built motors with exhaust and flat slide carb... including our "improved version"
of how Ron Woods did his using our custom filter as well as all the different I.D. inserts one could use and the mandrel bent aluminum 30* and 45* tubing and the 30* and 45* 3" rubber hoses ...if ANY of them were as good imo as what we offer ours would not be offered at all...and I would take the collection of off the shelf parts over the K&N racing for all out power...if I didn't have mine...the K&N Racing intake is a good product still...

Along those lines...when I got my first batch of custom filters made...I sent out several of the variations to customers for independent evaluation...the customers could pick and choose which ones made the best power...fit the best...and was most desirable overall...they could send them all back if they were not happy...I encouraged them to do the testing the most objective way possible which was to time their runs with carb tuned for max performance with each one...and those customers started with a variety of intakes from stock to modified stock (air box lid delete with k&N and foam with and w/o lids...to mandrel bent aluminum ones like K&N Racing...only the larger version in 3"...

Every single one of them found thru their own testing and preferences the same thing...that is the one we now offer with the custom boot...

The cheaper version of our intake shown in my avatar that uses the stock boot is the exact same power as the billet airbox lid delete adapter with a K&N filter that KMS and UTVinc now sell...which was originally designed, made and sold by PDM...in addition to the fabric type/filter size difference our price of $150 includes a $50 jet kit and free shipping anywhere in USA...!

I had two of those PDMs when they first came out...good product...anyone can look in our vendor section and see where I sold them both used not too long ago...if you want or need to keep your airbox they are a very good way to go...I actually recommend them to people who come to me for advice and on the forums generally to people who for whatever reason don't want mine all the time and will continue to do so...I do give the nod to UTVinc on it however because they are sponsors of this forum...as well as the fact they invested in the CNC mills and other related high-dollar equipment to make custom parts in house...no disrespect to Kelley what so ever on that...!

If the features of that appeal to someone they should get it...just beware that the filter is much smaller and thus cannot flow the same as ours when dirty...and to the best of my knowledge that small filter that clamps on and fits inside the air box is standard K&N fabric not the heavy duty fabric that filters dirt off road better like ours...and unlike ours...to the best of my knowledge is a standard off the shelf K&N universal filter not exclusive to anyone...I don't think the K&N racing version that benzo has uses the heavy duty fabric either and is not nearly the same surface area as our filter either...but if someone wants to actually prove me wrong on that I will stand corrected....the reason I don't think they use the heavy fabric on those filters is due to the fact they don't have the surface area to overcome the lower air flow and probably didn't want to have their "dyno numbers" compromised...but again...if I am mistaken about that and shown proof it's not true I will stand corrected...

BTW...Kelley at KMS is good guy...I have only met him a few times but that has been over a long period of time...going back at least 6 years... I have bought stuff from him before and would again...I have given him a thumbs up to others for motor work locally as well...I was not even aware that he offered another intake besides the PDM air box lid delete one... until one builder got his and told us about them...I did know he was a dealer for the original PDM instake back in the day that he apparently still sells that same product...I don't know who makes it for him now...

However, I and countless others have had same basic parts for years and years...one builder just got his fairly recently...maybe news to him that is the best way to make excellent power on the 660 (especially with stock carb) but not news to me...don't know how long Kelley has offered those...could be years and years as well...anyone who likes his offering should buy it... but make no mistake...I brought ours to market because after all these years no one made what I liked best...and was not going to be satisfied with off the shelf filters already available... so I did it...I had our filters custom made to what I considered to be perfect all around...and if any of you all like what I like by all means get it...if not that is fine with me...

I don't have anything bad to say about any of the others offerings mentioned in this post or the people who sell them... Yet... j/k...lol...

One last thing...if I didn't mention an offering in this post I am either unaware of it or don't really have anything good to say about them generally...and I not going to comment on which ones are which either... :13:

Thanks for looking... :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
oh 4got to add rutting rhinos is a tight fit and bigger cleaner filter, !!!! cant go wrong for the price either,

so rutting rhino intake for 660 hands down !
Frank, Alot goes into making a intake. The tube diameter, length and velocity stack placement are very important to keep the air velocity up throughout the rpm range. These are important to keep from getting lean conditions in different rpm ranges and making tuning much easier.

I will be doing some more dyno runs in the near future. If you or Craig would like to bring a RR intake over, ill do a run with it. If it produces more power, Ill purchase it on the spot.

The KMS intake im running is not off the shelf. Its handmade by Kelly/KMS and powdercoated in PHX by Affordable. Not only does it show good numbers on the dyno, it does by seat of the pants.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.