Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got time to look at the Rhino and I think my leak is from the cylinder base. Alba Nate said to make sure the cases didn't have a hairline crack and I am pretty sure I don't. I am not sure why the cylinder base would leak though. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
You can re-use o-rings. The 660 cases are know to crack as Nate said..............Clean the whole area up real nice with brake clean or something and then run the motor and watch that area with a bright light and maybe swipe your finger accross it too if you can't see any oil you may be able to feel some............

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
x

their is a pressurized oil galley port that dead ends into the bottom of the cylnder from the crankcase area,it is an oil galley and as such needs to be properly closed off by the cylnder base, bet its pushing its way outside down there.......I drilled and tap'd mine and but a pipe plug in it on my big motor as my cylnder spacer wouldn't seal it up...

·
Registered
581 Posts
Take some pictures of the other side near the starter. It is more commonly on the other side, but there is a little bit of concern on the right...I would recommend running it and taking a look while it is running.

Nate

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is a very small amount of residual oil by the starter. No active leak. I have the head stud kit, should I have the cylinder stud kit too?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
The case halves aren't always perfectly machined at the base gasket area, which causes a step in the base gasket sealing area. Did you use any Yamabond under the base gasket in the center where the case halves come together?
Cracked cases are getting more common, but it does usually originate on the left front base area below the cylinder. May just be a leaking base gasket in your case.

All have given great advice. Clean it and run it to locate the leak.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found the leak!!! Not exactly what I was hoping for. It's on the case. What would cause this and what's the fix?

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
don't!!!!!!!!!!

read my lips, do not JB weld it, you have found the bomb before the bomb explodes!......disarm it asap, don't jerry rigg it, take it apart before you completely ruin the motor by running it and destroying your cases, the cases are salvageable in their current form, if you run it and split them more you will have to buy new cases which are $800 bucks, yes around that price, pull it apart before its total scrap metal............you can fix it now for a quarter of the price than when you have to fix it later when it furthers the crack......I weld these cases all the time for built motors or broken cases, I can even fix and gusset and remachine the middle drive area to fit the middle drive plate, my buddy has the cnc program to do so, but when that crack goes further they will become unrepairable my friend........

·
Registered
581 Posts
read my lips, do not JB weld it, you have found the bomb before the bomb explodes!......disarm it asap, don't jerry rigg it, take it apart before you completely ruin the motor by running it and destroying your cases, the cases are salvageable in their current form, if you run it and split them more you will have to buy new cases which are $800 bucks, yes around that price, pull it apart before its total scrap metal............you can fix it now for a quarter of the price than when you have to fix it later when it furthers the crack......I weld these cases all the time for built motors or broken cases, I can even fix and gusset and remachine the middle drive area to fit the middle drive plate, my buddy has the cnc program to do so, but when that crack goes further they will become unrepairable my friend........

Agreed, and Yamaha recently increased the price of cases to just over $1000.

Nate

·
Registered
615 Posts
Where do you live. If you are reasonably close, I could weld them for you. I have fixed many yfz cases

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.