Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i changed oil in my rhino and washed the air filter and it runs like ****. could be 1 of 3 things. whats your guess. anything over 20 mph or half throttle it falls on it's face.
i used 15-40 diesel oil which i don't think would be the problem. i think it's running out of gas. either fuel pump is going. 5K miles and i have already did the filter or when i washed the air filter i got some **** in the carb and plugged the main jet. it's a 07 660

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
well make sure what ever u do put wet clutch approved oil ONLY in there,

and make sure air filter is 100% dry

and give the carb a quick bowl drop and clean if its been sitting ,

but another popular thing is the fuel filters get dirty quick

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i did the fuel filter a 2 mth ago and it was pretty bad. alot harder to blow thru then the new one. the air filter was damp when i ran it and i didn't oil it either. i have been busy and i use it every day so i haven't tore the carb apart yet. the problem has been going on for a mth now.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
. Hope the diesel oil was wet clutch compatiable...... I run amsoil in mine....
that part seems fine. i never looked to see if it was EC oil. it uses a qt to about 400 miles so i thought i would try 15-40 and see if that helps the oil comsumption problem. it doesn't get ran hard at all. mostly running thru the woods with the kids to my parents home.hardly ever get over 20 mph.i have 125 miles on this tank of gas which is about 25 more then i use to get so i think it's running pretty lean. gonna clean the carb first

·
Registered
64 Posts
SOunds like you got a relay wet or something electrical is not working properly.....

Also sounds like crap in a fuel line or something....i would just blow out all your lines and drop your bowl and take a peek

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
i did the fuel filter a 2 mth ago and it was pretty bad. alot harder to blow thru then the new one. the air filter was damp when i ran it and i didn't oil it either. i have been busy and i use it every day so i haven't tore the carb apart yet. the problem has been going on for a mth now.
For the sake of your engine's life, get some air filter oil onto that air filter. When someone says let the filter dry out they are talking about the filter oil solvent evaporation happening (it is thin in the can, but really sticky stuff when finished); not the water, gasoline, solvent or whatever used to clean the filter.

If your problem begins at 'half throttle' or more, at reasonable rpm, then your main jet is likely obstructed. Keep in mind that the carburetor has it's own mind and the actual throttle position is determined by the engine vacuum and not how far you have the throttle pedal depressed. Flooring it is not going to actually give you 'WideOpenTthrottle', until the engine is ready. When diagnosing air/fuel mixture issues, it is helpful to ease on the pedal to get a better feeling as to where the carburetor slide actually is positioned.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
new info. drove it up to the gas station to fill it up.acted up all the way there, fill it up and then runs fine.going up my drive and i have about a 12% grade and it has always been dieing out going up the hill. fuel pick line or bad fuel pump?

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
ya fuel pick up line has been known to go bad ,

the rutting rhino fuel line kit has everything ready to go even a new clear glass fuel filter and clear fuel line and a billet fuel tank pick up connector ,

worth it ---

1 - 10 of 10 Posts