Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just bought a 2008 700 rhino. It started fine when we went to get it and drove around a bit on day one. Now it won’t start we put in a new spark plug and while we charged the battery all day yesterday today it was only at 25%. When we charged the battery yesterday it would start but today it won’t even when charging the battery. When we try to start it if you press the gas it stops trying to turn over. Also it back fires every now and then. Any ideas?? My husband can fix anything when he knows what the issue is but he doesn’t have much experience with atvs, more bikes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check the age of the battery.....if older than 2-3 years its likely shot and now wont hold sufficient charge to even crank the engine. Order a 12V battery tester from Amazon to check the health of of the battery (easy to use)........something like this:
Communication Device Font Gas Gadget Electronic device

I would start there..........if you determine you need a new battery, try Batteries + (1st choice), Costco, Tractor Supply.....
Don't ever just leave the key in the on position without the engine running, it will drain the battery quickly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So a couple of things just to rule out

In general, pushing the pedal down isn't helpful during start. If carbureted, cold, pull the choke all the way out and turn the key. If EFI just turn the key

Second, make sure the battery is full of distilled water, then charge very slow for day disconnected, and then have it tested. If it tests good, next step, if not, next step after new battery

Third, once you do get it running even if it was just a battery, put a volt meter on it, if it is not above 13.8 running, ideally around 14.1-14.3, then it isn't charging. If it isn't charging, then more work to do

If you look at my posts I had a similar issue. I ended up having a short in the stator (didn't charge, killed battery), involved but easy fix, and a bad coil/plug wire assembly (started funky and backfired under load) With those two changes not sure it even cranks 1 full turn when I hit the key. However, that doesn't mean yours is the same, but those are common issues

·
Registered
236 Posts
As stated check the battery first using a multi-meter. A good battery should be above 12 volts. If battery checks out,start machine and check the voltage at the battery posts using a multi-meter. You should be around 14.1 volts. If it isn't you may have a bad stator. There are many posts on here on how to check that. If the stator is bad,it will not charge the battery. Oh and another thing,check your oil. Pull dipstick,is oil black? Smell the oil, if it smells like something electronic burnt, then your stator is burnt and refer to checking charge while running at the battery posts.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I don’t 100% agree with above. Judging a battery by a multi-meter reading showing 12+ volts does not ensure a good battery - only a battery “load” test will determine if your battery is useable.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I don’t 100% agree with above. Judging a battery by a multi-meter reading showing 12+ volts does not ensure a good battery - only a battery “load” test will determine if your battery is useable.
Most people have a multi-meter on hand whereas some don't have a load tester. Using a multi-meter is a quick test to see if the battery has charge or not and 9 times out of 10 shows whether a battery is good or not. And if you do encounter a battery that has some dead cells (won't take or hold charge,chokes under load) you can try a little trick to re excite the cells and get them to work again. Turn the headlights on for a bit to kill the battery and then charge the battery with the lights still on. I have actually brought some back from death like this. Just make sure the acid levels are topped off. Now if the battery is old,well it is time for a new one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We just bought a 2008 700 rhino. It started fine when we went to get it and drove around a bit on day one. Now it won’t start we put in a new spark plug and while we charged the battery all day yesterday today it was only at 25%. When we charged the battery yesterday it would start but today it won’t even when charging the battery. When we try to start it if you press the gas it stops trying to turn over. Also, it backfires every now and then. Any ideas?? My husband can fix anything when he knows what the issue is but he doesn’t have much experience with ATVs, more bikes.
If you have a multimeter with DC amps range on it, set it to 10A DC amps, disconnect the positive lead, and put one lead of the meter on the POS post of the battery and the other lead on the positive battery LEAD. With the ignition off, of course, check to see if there is any current flowing, and turn down the range of the meter to see if any current is flowing. If there is then something is draining the battery with the IGN off. Could be the IGN module, regulator (leaky diode), or something else. Disconnect plugs till it goes away then there may be the culprit. Try a good battery, and make sure your connections are tight on the battery and starter and starter relay.

·
Registered
872 Posts
If you have a multimeter with DC amps range on it, set it to 10A DC amps, disconnect the positive lead, and put one lead of the meter on the POS post of the battery and the other lead on the positive battery LEAD. With the ignition off, of course, check to see if there is any current flowing, and turn down the range of the meter to see if any current is flowing. If there is then something is draining the battery with the IGN off. Could be the IGN module, regulator (leaky diode), or something else. Disconnect plugs till it goes away then there may be the culprit. Try a good battery, and make sure your connections are tight on the battery and starter and starter relay.
(y)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts