Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok here I go,I replaced the servo motor that was burnt up. I installed everything as it was when I took it out.When I turn the key on the motor spins and stops always at a certain position. the switches don't activate the motor at all. I took the swith apart to check for power and ground. while the test light is on neg. terminal i get nothing. with the test light on pos. terminal and testing the 2-4 wheel switch it will spin the motor by touching the test light to it.i'm not sure if this is supposed to be like that. while testing the servo motor housing both plugs i have only one wire with power going into it,coming from the top of cover. also when i tried it with it installed back in the diff to see if it made a difference the servo turned and didn't stop till it broke a tooth on the diff rack. anyone know where i can get a new rack or have one to sell?? BTW all the fuses are good and relays are working.

·
Registered
278 Posts
There is a fairly specific diagnostic procedure for the 4WD servo (aka "gear motor"). Download the FSM from the links on this site, and follow that procedure to determine your issue. The CDI is part of the gearmotor circuit, and thus diagnostics can be a bit tricky.....

·
Registered
389 Posts
There is a fairly specific diagnostic procedure for the 4WD servo (aka "gear motor"). Download the FSM from the links on this site, and follow that procedure to determine your issue. The CDI is part of the gearmotor circuit, and thus diagnostics can be a bit tricky.....
AZ Jeff I think the (cdi is part of the gearmotor circuit) is false.I put a rotax in the wifes rhino and the servo works fine without the cdi. The manual does show you how to test the servo using two c size flashlight batteries (3 volts).

·
Registered
278 Posts
AZ Jeff I think the (cdi is part of the gearmotor circuit) is false.I put a rotax in the wifes rhino and the servo works fine without the cdi. The manual does show you how to test the servo using two c size flashlight batteries (3 volts).
According to my manual for my 450, the CDI is tied to the 4WD switch via the green wire with the red tracer. I don't know what happens if you just disconnect that wire, but the last step in the diagnostics says 'if all wiring checks out OK' replace the CDI box (diagnostic step 9).

·
Registered
389 Posts
not sure but on our 07 660 it doesn't have the cdi box any more and the system still works. I remember the green /red wire but would have to recheck my notes to see where it went or what it did. It might have been the 12 volt power feed not sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the replies, but I have decided to scrap the electronic box and make a mechanical cable operated 4x4 diff.
I realize this is almost years old, but i am having problems with my diff lock and have not been able to diagnose the problem or find any helpful answers on the problem:banghead: So i was thinking exactly what you where on making a mechanical manually operated diff. Did you ever go through with the idea? if so did it work well and how did you manage to do it? thank you

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I did make it cable operated. I drilled a hole in the side of diff case and ran an orange sealed rod connected to diff lock slider. Attachéd a cable to the rod and mounted under dash. Works every time as long as my hand isn't broke

1 - 10 of 10 Posts