Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a coolent heater in my rhino under the hood. I have purchsed the RhinoGear installation box for over the wheel. I had just planned rerouting and plumbing the hot from motor up and into the heater then out of that into the radiator. I was thinking of puting a T in the line and a valve inline to the radiator and close it during the winter thus diverting ALL hotwater to the heater and in the summer opening the valve and going to the radiator vs up to the heater vs.. Hope that makes sense. My thinking is what little heat gets to the heater in the summer makes it just act as a smaller radiator.
Any problem doing that?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I just put one in my rhino and just cut the hot rad line and ran that into the heater then out of the heater into the rad, in the summer I just wont turn the heater on, I will still get a bit of heat off it I am sure but I didnt want to screw arround with any "Ts" and I shouldnt have to worry about overheating anymore. I did notice when it is cooler out that the engine temp doesnt come up as high, so I just put a piece of plexiglass in front of the rad, and it helps the engine stay warmer.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Doober, Thanks. I was just worried that in the summer the heater wouldstill push heat but I can just leave heater off and also close the vents. Makes it easier for sure for the install. I like it simple !

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Ive been running mine into the heater first and then to the radiator with no tees or bypasses for 4+ years now with no issues. I found preformed hoses from NAPA that fit perfect on my installation.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey OB did you do the over the wheel installation? if so do you happen to have the napa part numbers?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OB did you do the defrosters or just the bottom floor vents

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I did the vents under the dash. I am consideing adding another vent to drivers side. With my current vent locations, they blow on your knees. True they are adjustable, but they do seem to move some. The defroster, Im on the fence. Their has been times one would be nice! Keep in mind a real defroster uses the a/c to dehumidify the air. That may be a good question for someone who has one. Id be interested to hear the responses.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea I am not sold on the defroster only to blow on windshield.. Hmmm probably not . I am trying to figure out where to mount my vents. .. I also want the wife to be warm when we cold weather ride especially to our cabin.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Keeping the wife happy is very important! If shes comfortable, that equals longer rides( heated grips for her grab handle are coming soon). I have a vent on both sides of my Seizmek center console. Its hard to center them between the driver and passengers legs. The steering column and glove box hinder that! I am trying to figure out how to go under the glove box (I have an idea though). Installing another on the drivers side will be easy. Dont get me wrong though, the heater works awesome!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wow that is awesome.. You are SOOOO right ! keeping our cuties warm is key. I have the seizmik center console as well LOL! I put 3 gauges in the top of mine. Knowing what you did and where to put them saves me some research.. Cool THANKS! I am looking forward to it.. did you have the same problem as doober where he could not get enough heat out of it on a hot day? ONCE again.. thanks for the tips.. You are always mile ahead of me.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I also have a different heater than yours, mine is in the cab under the dash, its not that I couldnt get enough heat, that was fine, I just wanted more.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Heater question

Keeping the wife happy is very important! If shes comfortable, that equals longer rides( heated grips for her grab handle are coming soon). I have a vent on both sides of my Seizmek center console. Its hard to center them between the driver and passengers legs. The steering column and glove box hinder that! I am trying to figure out how to go under the glove box (I have an idea though). Installing another on the drivers side will be easy. Dont get me wrong though, the heater works awesome!
Hey OB do you remember what size hose you used for the installation. It appears the hose on the Rhino is significantly bigger than the heater. Heater looks like 5/8 and rhino looks like 1" . Could that be right?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I think the Rhino line is 7/8 and for my heater it is 5/8. But if you look where the coolant line runs under the cab of the rhino the metal line under there is also 5/8 line. I just spliced my rhino line, put a reducer on it and did it that way, and did the same on the other end of the line.

When I did mine I did some research and found a few different ways of doing it, they all work, whether you "T" into the lines or make it an extension of your cooling system (thats what I did, was told thats the best way to get the most heat) A friend of mine even "Td" into his hot line for the input and then "Td" into his cool line for the return, it worked fine. Some people like to be able to turn the coolant flow off on the coolant line so it doesnt flow through the heater, some dont.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Hey OB do you remember what size hose you used for the installation. It appears the hose on the Rhino is significantly bigger than the heater. Heater looks like 5/8 and rhino looks like 1" . Could that be right?
N0, I dont recall the size. The hose I used did fit on both ends. No need for adapters. Im going to Napa today and will try to remember and ask for the ID size of it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts