Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am having some soft door uppers made, to work with the factory doors.

Think Jeep soft zipper style. Black canvas (or some material) with a zipper in window. The window will also be how you get through the panel into the seat. Or for those of you in free states how you can reach through to the McDs drive through. Whatever your pleasure.

I have seen a lot of talk of people looking for these but non actually available. I am wondering if I should have my guy make a pattern so he can duplicate them.

Any interest? I don't know what they are going to cost, my guess is a couple hundred a set. My GUESS (with NOTHING to back it up except previous experience with him) is about $250 a set.

If there is interest I'll post pictures when they are done and if there is interest after that perhaps we'll get a couple sets made up for people.

Just throwing this out there.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Is there a framework for the canvas?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Negative. It will attach to the cage and then just overlap the Yamaha door.

So getting out will be a 2 stage process. Unzip the window, open the door.

Or in my case unzip the window and think you can gracefully step over the door and fail.

·
Registered
178 Posts
If the canvas overlaps the door and there is a zip out window I would assume the zip out opening will open a cavity at the bottom of the canvas like an upside down U. If this is true won't the zipper be unaccessible from the inside? I need pics.

·
Registered
356 Posts
j strong half door, are getting cheap, there worth the cash and you could prob make the upper half, if needed

·
Registered
561 Posts
My dad built some upper doors for keeping the wyoming wind out during hunting season. Check out my profile for pics. cheap, work great, and the zippers dont get filled with snow. They are made of plywood and coated with rhino lining, been thinking of remaking out of diamond deck aluminum. They have a sliding window and everything. Both doors have probably less than 100 in materials.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the canvas overlaps the door and there is a zip out window I would assume the zip out opening will open a cavity at the bottom of the canvas like an upside down U. If this is true won't the zipper be unaccessible from the inside? I need pics.

The bottom of the upper will be open. When I say think a soft top jeep window, I mean it litterally. Only the door upper doesn't attach to the bottom.

The zipper will terminate at the windshield on the top. When the zipper thingy is in this position the zipper is open and you can step out. There is a "fob" on the inside and out. To close it, you reach up and forward, grab the zipper and pull back then down. The bottom of the top overlaps with the yamaha door (or it will). It doesn't connect with it in any way.

Moon: I like the Yamaha half door. But I want a soft upper. And I certainly don't need a different lower.

Hymarker: You're right, and if pops likes it, good on him! I could make something similar, but it's not what I'm going for. I especially want something I can roll up come summer and put in the corner. Or simply roll up on the rig while I'm out riding. I have a set of vinyl windows that I velcro in right now. I put velcro on the roll cage and I cut a set of clear vinyl to fit. I'm in those for less than $50. They work, but I want something a little more elegant.

I'll be honest, I am only trying to solve MY problem. If someone else wants to jump on board I'm just offering to help is all.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Post pics when they are done, who knows, i may look into some.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Nothing negative implied. I'm just trying to wrap my head around it. Will the overlap be on the inside or outside? I like the idea and am interested myself. Just trying to envision it in my head. I really want to see some pics when finished.

I just found a set on ebay that sound like what you are having made. Here is a link, let me know if this is similar. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Rhino-Door-Rear-Window-FREE-SHIPPING-/120639451224?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item1c16abf058

·
Registered
3 Posts
this is our idea First try models

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH] Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire
Here is a picture of the doors my father came up with. Durable with a window a zipper that goes down an up, not up an across bc that may cause tear and wear. ( like clothes when you pull against the zipper so many times it breaks. The doors have no frame just material, we zip tide the doors to the side at first with medal loops for a first look. When your inside your out the weather. cheaper then 250 too.

sorry about the fast post

let me know what you guys think?

ps. ill post better pics soon

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Basically what CTim and MazdaParts are showing.

I envision 99% of the MazdaParts example only with the zipper in reverse. $450 odd $ is just plain offensive.

Tim: I am reasonably confident they will cost less than $250 too, but I don't have the sewing machine capable of attaching the zipper or window. So I am assuming a higher cost. But you're right. In material.. $100 total? Maybe? But as is the case when you are paying for someone else's time.. :)

I want the zipper to come forward because, at least on the passenger side, there will be children getting in and out and they are not good at being delicate! "This isn't open enough.. let me force it the rest of the way!!!"

·
Registered
34 Posts
i have the lower moose doors and i made the upper half out of plexiglass. as soon as i get some pictures i will post them for you. they work very well

·
Registered
34 Posts
homemade upper door glass

i used card board and got the design i wanted. took it to lumber store and they cut it out and buffed around the edges. i have the piece of alumium from lowes, very cheap for support , drilled out holes and put in dowls, used regular straps from lowes to hold them and used eye bolts for the handles.used pipe insulation around top to keep it from rattling. works very well for a homemade job. glass was about $112.00 for each side. make sure and not use the thinner glass

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For those curious. The project is still moving forward. But not at any fast clip. My upholstry guy is a one man shop and there is ALWAYS a line. I haven't been inclined to push the issue as this has been such a nice winter. Heck.. today is February 10th and it was in the low 50s today. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts