Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching but not found much on using the engine heat to help warm the cab.

Talked with one member of the forum about the idea of running a 4-inch metal dryer vent-pipe from the back of the engine by exhaust, under drivers seat with a 4-inch fan to suck the air thru. Kind like the old VW Bugs.

Anybody done this? Any other setups using the engine heat? Pics?

Lot of stuff on the Summit type systems but for the few times I really need the heat can not justify the expense.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
The Summit heaters are relatively inexpensive and worth every penny! I would use it sometimes in the summer when pulling long grades or in the high elevations of Colorado.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
You can get a moderate amount of engine heat by installing a small Box fan (computer fan) into the front of the engine shroud blow the warm air the engine bay into the cab. If you want/need more heat then you could use a small oil cooler on the passenger side(the cooler lines go right by there from the factory)Mount it just behind the box fan and that will add some heat .
With this setup you can reverse the fan in warmer conditions for additional cooling as well.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bldr--$200 plus w/needed parts is not inexpensive. I have a few other big ticket "needs" that come first.

thx Joe -Good ideas do you know anyone who has done just the fan? Details? With my plumbing skills tho I would be afraid to touch the oil lines.

I may just buy one of these:

Amazon.com: Rule 240 Marine Bilge Blower (4-Inch, Inline): Sports & Outdoors

and 8-feet of 4-inch flexible metal duct from HD ($9.99); mount inline fan behind my legs; snake the flex-duct around the rear of engine/exhaust and see how much heat it produces.....would be less than $40.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I have run large diameter hose from radiator fan through wall... helps quite a bit...

If you do it... have a good coolant temp gauge... a fan by-pass switch...and a trial and error method for limiting air flow to the radiator so you can keep your operating temp in the good zone with the fan on... it will blow lots of warm air into the cab with no significant increase in noise...

No I don't have pics... don't have that rhino anymore... nothing else to contribute... :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have run large diameter hose from radiator fan through wall... helps quite a bit...

If you do it... have a good coolant temp gauge... a fan by-pass switch...and a trial and error method for limiting air flow to the radiator so you can keep your operating temp in the good zone with the fan on... it will blow lots of warm air into the cab with no significant increase in noise...

No I don't have pics... don't have that rhino anymore... nothing else to contribute... :)
Very Interesting.......Thanx Rutting!

I had never popped the hood and checked out how much air the fan moved. It is Impressive, that thing blows some serious hot air!!
You would have a lot of hot air but only for a short 15-20 second burst on a cool day like today with the stock setup before the fan shut off.

I have a few questions Rutting:

Did you try bypassing the thermostat and run the fan full-time?

Did the fan cool the air to the point where the rad fan was blowing cold air?

Is this why you had to partially block the Rad?

How did you do your trial by error testing? Did you have to adjust the dampener a lot for different outside temps and driving conditions(ie up or downhill; fast or slow)? What did you use for the dampener; was it easy to adjust for different conditions?

Just thinking out-loud....how about if you used the fan in the link I give above and mounted it right behind the stock fan? It would not draw near as much air thru as the rad fan so the engine temp might stay up where it should be while still warming the cab.....

·
Registered
3,239 Posts

The only thing on your list I can comment on is that if the fan isn't it on there is no significant volume of warm air coming in...it only contributes when the fan is on...and in cool weather you operating temperature will be too low if the fan is on full time...

It was just something I did that was on topic... :)

I really don't have any more to add to it... sorry...

·
Registered
58 Posts
You can put a small computer fan in the dryer ducting that will blow air without relying on the fan. A friend of mine did this and says it helps.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I just ordered this;

I am going to try a temporary mount behind the rad fan first and just run the dryer hose thru the wheel well and into the cab to test. If it sends heat my way I will do a permanent install by cutting a whole in the firewall.

If the Amazon fan behind the rad fan does not work I will give my original exhaust idea (see above) a whirl.

If anyone is interested I can post the results. It will be a week or two before I get the fan as I went for the free (aka slow) shipping.

·
Banned
188 Posts

I am going to try a temporary mount behind the rad fan first and just run the dryer hose thru the wheel well and into the cab to test. If it sends heat my way I will do a permanent install by cutting a whole in the firewall.

If the Amazon fan behind the rad fan does not work I will give my original exhaust idea (see above) a whirl.

If anyone is interested I can post the results. It will be a week or two before I get the fan as I went for the free (aka slow) shipping.
Hi Chukar so have you tried this yet? has it worked? How cold does it get where you are, Im in Maine and looking for a way to add heat without much expense either.

THanks ~ Phil

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
That marine fan is a good find and it will blow some warm air...I think will be a whole lot more effective with a fan shroud...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Hi Chukar so have you tried this yet? has it worked? How cold does it get where you are, Im in Maine and looking for a way to add heat without much expense either.

THanks ~ Phil
Hi Phil;
Our temp has been around zero at nite but days have been up into the 40s.

Not enuf heat from the Rad so went with the exaust.

The heater setup is a work in progress but so far I am impressed with the results. I am getting a lot of pretty warm air (that little fan really puts out). I jammed the 4”-flex dryer pipe right at the back of the engine where the 2 pipes come out and seems to stay in place just fine; at least on the 3 hunts I have gone on with it so far. The inline fan is mounted to blow out behind my legs from under the drivers seat.

For testing purposes I am using an optima battery that is on the floor of the passenger side. I will hard wire and install a switch later. I used a piece of scrap 1/4” ply for the faceplate rather than cut the stock plastic as will take out heater during warmer weather.

I am using an Army Blanket to make a “tent” around my legs and lower body as I do not have a cab or windshield. It keeps those body parts plus one arm/hand at a time nice and toasty. If you had a cab I think it would keep it warm inside.

I have not had time to test different locations for the intake to see if air would be warmer....also trying to think of something to connect to the end of the pipe to capture more heat...maybe a section of perforated 4-inch metal pipe with an end cap laid along exhaust pipes?

Bottom line is I am a lot warmer than before. The total cost is under $40 ($26.60-Fan $10 dryer pipe; $2-inline fuse). The install took about an hour (still need to wire switch).

Here are a few pics;

·
Registered
395 Posts
hey jim....go to good grocery store and buy a roll of renolds alloy foil....the large size and the extra heavy duty kind....i think you could see first about what sze you need...visualize....and peel off a 4 or 5 feet and fold over and over till you are at the size you thought would work....and make a tent around the exhaust...like you do with army blanket for feet...nice thing about that foil..it wont burn...you can form and bend it to fit anything...just a thought...maybe use two or three pieces...start with one on bottom under exhaust....and then do top one the fold eges of two together...you get the drift

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hope these pics are bigger

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey jim....go to good grocery store and buy a roll of renolds alloy foil....the large size and the extra heavy duty kind....i think you could see first about what sze you need...visualize....and peel off a 4 or 5 feet and fold over and over till you are at the size you thought would work....and make a tent around the exhaust...like you do with army blanket for feet...nice thing about that foil..it wont burn...you can form and bend it to fit anything...just a thought...maybe use two or three pieces...start with one on bottom under exhaust....and then do top one the fold eges of two together...you get the drift
Thanx for another great idea Beat!!

I will have to give that a try after the holidays. We keep a couple rolls of the foil you describe on hand.

·
Registered
28 Posts
you all are in the right church but wrong pew!!!take that dryer duct that ya have coming from your exhaust and plumb it into the clutch vent return on the top of your engine!!! i been using this set-up for two winters now and it works great!!! the only downside is you can't regulate it!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you all are in the right church but wrong pew!!!take that dryer duct that ya have coming from your exhaust and plumb it into the clutch vent return on the top of your engine!!! i been using this set-up for two winters now and it works great!!! the only downside is you can't regulate it!!
how about some pics? and a few details..........

·
Registered
395 Posts
hmm...mine has a 600 dollar heater under my driver seat...the rhino came with it...it has a fan like jim has...i told him about it...its in a alloy box under drivers seat...two outlet ducks like he did...but to driver and pass feet....but in the box it has a car like heater core that is fed from the rhino line headed to radiator...and a switch on dash...its extra cooling in summer if needed on a hill clime?...anyway i told him to pull heat from header area cuz 600*....you said to pull air from clutch cover?...thats not 600* is it?...your clutch gets warm...but not that warm?./...exhaust temp warm?....and the clutch fan will always blow on you?...cant regulate like you said...like with a fan switch?

·
Banned
188 Posts
Thanx for another great idea Beat!!

I will have to give that a try after the holidays. We keep a couple rolls of the foil you describe on hand.
Hi chukar thanks for the discription and pictures looks pretty good. Some sort of tube around the exhaust directing it into your tube would also increase the heat probably. I got some wheel well guards from JBS that I think would help keep the air coming through the radiator in and easier to direct into a tube to direct into the cab. Im thinking of doing both the front feed and direct to the passenger side and the heat from the exhaust to the drivers side like you did.

Thanks
~ Phil

·
Registered
28 Posts
i'm not clear on what ya mean about 600*? mine looks identical to chukars except that i dont have a little fan mounted on the end of the duct,have ya ever noticed how much heat rises up at the rear of the console/between the seats?? most of that heat is coming from your clutch and not the exhaust!!! when i change mine over in the winter,almost all the heat that normally ya feel between the seats is gone!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts