Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 Rhino 660 is hard to start after it sits for several weeks. One it is started it runs great an starts right up. Any answers? Thanks B.T.:azflag:

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
losing prime. I think ruttingrhino`s kit eliminates this issue. as old as your lines are might be a good idea to replace anyhow

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Thanks for the endorsement Dan...

But just so you know I don't claim that my fuel delivery kit eliminates that...it does help reduce it siphoning in off mode...and makes the whole system better and aids trouble shooting when you do have a problem of any kind...

The kit will eliminate and/or prevent p/u tube problems and broken p/u assy problems...increase flow rate... reduce on mode siphoning dramatically...it will let you check your float level...give easy access to filter...reduce the amount of air being pulled up by the fuel pump making it more efficient...

As for sitting in off mode and loosing prime the cause is pressure differential between the carb and fuel tank...the pressure difference literally sucks all the gas out of the carb...this can happen very fast or over a long period of time too...

Sometimes it will be worse than others...temperature differential is the cause of the pressure differential...

The slick thing to do is get an electric primer...no I don't sell them...it's a diy thing...

Put the electric primer on a momentary switch...in series with the stock fuel pump...then just push the button to re-prime the system w/o cranking the motor...once primed release the button and she should fire right up...

Premium Fuel Delivery Kit at RuttingRhino.com

·
Registered
14 Posts
I put a "boat" gas primer bulb (behind the pasngr seat) before the vac fuel pump. The cool thing is once I did that most of the time the fuel pump doesn't need primed ecause the bulb has a good valve that keeps it primed up stream.... let me know if you have questions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You need to get two extra feet of fuel line and the bulb and you can "place" it where you want. Mine is on the pole coming from behind the pssenger side. I always had to blow into the over flow line which caused me to have to remove the seat over the tank. no more.... just put the pump tank out - to the - pump. add length to where you want the pump.... trust me this is a simple fix and you will be happily surprised at how it works! peace!

·
Registered
647 Posts
You need to get two extra feet of fuel line and the bulb and you can "place" it where you want. Mine is on the pole coming from behind the pssenger side. I always had to blow into the over flow line which caused me to have to remove the seat over the tank. no more.... just put the pump tank out - to the - pump. add length to where you want the pump.... trust me this is a simple fix and you will be happily surprised at how it works! peace!
Quoted for truth... Works great! I did the same thing to my Yamaha jet boat (twin engine) and now don't need to crank forever after sitting a long time.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Maybe I had the wrong kind of bulb...mine didn't have a valve...

That does sound good...

Give me a link to the kind with the valve...

I'll see if I can get them wholesale and offer it as and addition to the fuel delivery kits and product line...

I still like the electric better tho....cleaner and more efficient...the pumps are only $40 and all you do is push the button for a few seconds...

Bulb or no bulb...the fuel delivery kits work great and are a definite asset... :13:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I used a squeeze bulb from the marine section in Walmart. It works great. I also replaced the original tiny fuel filter with one for a car.... plastic just like the original....5/16" barbed ends on both ends..... IMHO....part of the fuel issue with the 660's at least... is the fuel filter that is marginal at best..... get the least amount of trash in it.... and IMHO.... it won't flow enough fuel...... just my 0.02.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's what I did. by the way, (to ruttingrhino) there is no special bulb with a special valve. these fuel bulbs are by nature one way directional. I have noticed mine does not allow the fuel to fall back out of the pump, that's all.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Thanks...it's the pump itself holding vacuum on the line then...

People assume that the loss of prime is drain-back thru the main line...it's not...it's siphoned thru the return line...

I agree about the fuel filter...that's why I use a lay flat ultra-high volume fuel filter in my fuel delivery kits...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts