Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First a possible bent lower A-arm and now I discover the gash in the sidewall of the stock tire. Apparently the Rhino is telling me to get it some new stuff.

I have the '11 700 with the stock tire and rims. Obviously the cheap route is to simply get a replacement tire and have it mounted but....I might as well get new tires and rims, this way I get my spare set I was going to buy. Current rear is 25x10.00-12 on 12x7.5 rims and the front is 25x8.00-12 on 12x6.0 rims (aka stock)

What combination should I get that A) will not break the bank, and B) last at least a thousand miles of general riding (some sand, mud, rocks, etc.)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I almost always suggest the Original Bighorn (for all but pure mud riding). They are a great tire, very tough and last forever! They have gotten a bit pricey, now that the OEMs are using them though.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Tires requires more thought on your part but I highly recommend getting 5+2 12x7 Aluminum Wheels on all four corners ... ITP C-7 rock crushers are my personal favorite...

Use your factory wheel spacers on the rear with those wheels but take them off the front..

IMO... you have to choose a priority of application and be willing to make trade-offs before you pick your tire brand/type...and size...

Rocks, sand, snow, mud, pavement...

Gravel and Hard pack is a given but if you stay on smoother roads/trails with fewer rocks and plan to stay of rocks it gets a lot easier...

If you don't see much mud and the mud you do see is not serious mud it gets much easier...

The best non-paddle tire for sand and snow is NOT going to be good for rocks, mud, nasty trails...

The best tire for for rocks and nasty trails will last forever and ride smooth on pavement and hardpack... is NOT going to be the best for sand or snow...is not going to have the best steering and NOT going to have the best traction...

The best mud tire that is really tough will be good on rocks too but NOT ride or steer worth crap and NOT be that good in snow and horrible in sand and horrible on pavement...and extremely bad in sand...

The best tire for hard pack will NOT last long...will NOT be good on rocks...will NOT be good in mud...will have smooth ride and excellent traction when new...and WILL have great steering and handling...

Taller tires will have more ground clearance...and will rob power...taller gearing from a stop is problem...the taller the tire the bigger the problem...

Heavier tires will rob power...really tough tires are always heavier than lighter weight tires...

If you can run the same width tires on all four corners that is a plus...however... it is not good to run real wide tires on the front unless they are short and light with directional tread...

A popular choice for all around use is 26x9x12 Bighorns on all four corners... that is great for tough trails... rocks... pavement...

I like 25x11x12 489s on mine for sand and snow they are lightweight, directional, have great flotation, very good steering and handling on hard pack, not tough at all...not good for mud... I avoid rocks and nasty ****...and serious mud like the plague...

Rule of thumb... always use the shortest/lightest wheel/tire combination that will do what you want...

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Your cuts on the tire are superficial. I would keep riding! I got 1200 miles on a set of factory tires.:banana:

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I almost always suggest the Original Bighorn (for all but pure mud riding). They are a great tire, very tough and last forever! They have gotten a bit pricey, now that the OEMs are using them though.
Ben I just looked at your site and see you have wheels and tires...

Very nice Gary he has some nice lightweight ITP 12" wheels you should get some Ben is a good guy and deserves the business IMO... :)

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Your cuts on the tire are superficial. I would keep riding! I got 1200 miles on a set of factory tires.:banana:
I agree...unless you are trying to convince the "other-half"...and then they are shot ! lol...For real tho...that doesn't look all that bad. At worse case it could be vulcanized, and you can keep gas'n on it !!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can actual peel back that chunk and it reveals the second ply. One hit in that area and I think it would go quick....and I don' have a spare.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Yeah, better safe than sorry. I ruined a stock tire on my 06 within the first 15 hours. A lug actually tore away from the carcass...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What's the difference between the Bighorn original and the 2.0 version?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
The OG are a tougher tire, and will last longer. The 2.0 are a lighter weight version, will wear faster and have a more spread out lug pattern

·
Registered
71 Posts
A popular choice for all around use is 26x9x12 Bighorns on all four corners... that is great for tough trails... rocks... pavement...
Craig,

As always great commentary - thanks. Will the 26x9x12 Bighorns fit on stock rims? Any idea what the loss in top speed is over stock tires? I've been thinking about 25x10x12 Bighorns all around...

·
Registered
101 Posts
i am a huge fan of the titan 589. that tire has proven itself to me time and time again. they have the best rim guard of any atv tire on the market. with 0 air pressure in the tire my 28s will still hold the weight of the rhino. i have about 1600 miles on mine and i still have good tread left. i ride paved roads , loose , hardpacked , mud , coal hills pretty much everything but sand. traction has been great in everything.

http://www.treadepot.com/atvsizes/589m.html

·
Registered
647 Posts
ITP BajaCross is my pick... I ride a lot of sharp rocks and hard pack, and they are the teets. Not much experience in deep mud... but i've never gotten stuck with them yet!

8 ply gives me a lot of confidence in the sharp stuff...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was just looking at these too. Hard to argue the 8 ply vs. the 6 ply on the Bighorns.

ITP BajaCross is my pick... I ride a lot of sharp rocks and hard pack, and they are the teets. Not much experience in deep mud... but i've never gotten stuck with them yet!

8 ply gives me a lot of confidence in the sharp stuff...

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Craig,

As always great commentary - thanks. Will the 26x9x12 Bighorns fit on stock rims? Any idea what the loss in top speed is over stock tires? I've been thinking about 25x10x12 Bighorns all around...
Jim I would not run the stock wheels if I were you...

Get standard 5+2 offset... 12x7 ITP wheels from Ben... use 1.5" or 2.0" spacers on the rear only...

5+2 standard offset wheels are what you guys need...!!!

The stock wheels have negative offset...you need wider centertracks...

You have a 4-seat family wagon with kids in the back and so does Gary you both need the correct offset for stability...

Dave... those tires are on the short list of things we disagree on... :)

Gary... don't buy your tires by specs... big mistake... get the bighorns they are night and day tougher than any of the ITP tires except for 589s which are bricks and you would hate them...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Craig,

Jim I would not run the stock wheels if I were you...

Get standard 5+2 offset... 12x7 ITP wheels from Ben... use 1.5" or 2.0" spacers on the rear only...

5+2 standard offset wheels are what you guys need...!!!

The stock wheels have negative offset...you need wider centertracks...

You have a 4-seat family wagon with kids in the back and so does Gary you both need the correct offset for stability...

Dave... those tires are on the short list of things we disagree on... :)

Gary... don't buy your tires by specs... big mistake... get the bighorns they are night and day tougher than any of the ITP tires except for 589s which are bricks and you would hate them...
Thanks Craig. What do you think about 25x10x12s all around on those wheels?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I ran the 26x9 combo on my race rhino in the desert, and for a short period, the same setup on my 4 seater. I like it a lot, and would still be running it, but the R1 requires a bit more width to get traction. I have no experience with the 25x10 on all 4, but I know a lot of people run that combo and like it.

Either one will work with a standard offset 12x7 wheel.

I LOVE the OG Bighorns. I have had 4 sets by now. I am currently running the Bajacross on my 4 seater, and while I like them, they are heavier, and I done like quite as much as the Bighorns.

I agree with Craig, 5+2 Standard offset wheels are the best choice. Especially if you want to go to a wider tire like the 25x10 in the front.

Check out our website, or give the shop a call if you need more info/pricing.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I ran the 26x9 combo on my race rhino in the desert, and for a short period, the same setup on my 4 seater. I like it a lot, and would still be running it, but the R1 requires a bit more width to get traction. I have no experience with the 25x10 on all 4, but I know a lot of people run that combo and like it.

Either one will work with a standard offset 12x7 wheel.

I LOVE the OG Bighorns. I have had 4 sets by now. I am currently running the Bajacross on my 4 seater, and while I like them, they are heavier, and I done like quite as much as the Bighorns.

I agree with Craig, 5+2 Standard offset wheels are the best choice. Especially if you want to go to a wider tire like the 25x10 in the front.

Check out our website, or give the shop a call if you need more info/pricing.
Thanks Ben, I really appreciate that and will be in touch. I'll probably put this off until the spring.

Jim

1 - 20 of 59 Posts