Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am looking for a little help I just replaced my dry clutch and a new belt , I was test driving everything was going good until I heard a grinding noise so I shut it off and checked everything out and everything looked good but it was stuck in low gear so I got it to go into neutral and started it up everything was just fine the dry clutch was spinning correctly but when I put it into low gear I heard something clunking and grinding and it shut off on it’s own. Does anyone know of the problem is it my wet primary clutch that went bad or is it my transmission? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi I am looking for a little help I just replaced my dry clutch and a new belt , I was test driving everything was going good until I heard a grinding noise so I shut it off and checked everything out and everything looked good but it was stuck in low gear so I got it to go into neutral and started it up everything was just fine the dry clutch was spinning correctly but when I put it into low gear I heard something clunking and grinding and it shut off on it’s own. Does anyone know of the problem is it my wet primary clutch that went bad or is it my transmission? Thanks for the help
Sorry I have a 2007 Yamaha Rhino 660 sport 4x4

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not gonna pretend to know the correct answer... but some of my reading suggested checking if the idle is set low enough. ... high idle can cause issue you described when shifting. Others have gone around the problem by turning the machine off shifting to desired gear and restarting. Probably worth checking lower idle seems like an easy enough thing to give a quick try. I guess part of it depends on where the sound is coming from. ...CV axel?!? Differential?!? Shifter?!? Another thing I noticed is I hear different sounds when I go from 2WD to 4WD and also when I lock the diff in 4WD mode. Turning also changes the sounds I hear.
... correct oil is a good move too... my repair manual explicitly states not to use hyped up oil... don’t need fancy synthetic or detergent or any other marketing garbage. Might cause slipping. The only marketing I’ll go for is “YAMMALUBE” that said, my last oil change was within guidelines of repair manual I just used standard 10-30 valvevoline.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts