Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Yamaha rhino 660
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2004 Yamaha rhino and 2 wells later the head gasket “blew”. Pretty sure it was already blown but I had that fixed. When I got it back, it started making a grinding/slipping noise when I let off the gas but not hitting the break. It does this for a few seconds and then something catches and noise stops. It doesn’t always do it. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2004 Yamaha rhino 660
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bought a 2004 Yamaha rhino and 2 wells later the head gasket “blew”. Pretty sure it was already blown but I had that fixed. When I got it back, it started making a grinding/slipping noise when I let off the gas but not hitting the break. It does this for a few seconds and then something catches and noise stops. It doesn’t always do it. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
here are some photos of a possible problem area. I AM NOT A MECHANIC. I know just enough to get me in trouble. I also have a video if I can get it to upload of the noise.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 Yamaha rhino 660
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
here are some photos of a possible problem area. I AM NOT A MECHANIC. I know just enough to get me in trouble. I also have a video if I can get it to upload of the noise.
Welcome! Might try capturing the noise on video if possible and post for the group to assess.
I can’t find a option to upload video, only photos

·
Registered
700 Posts
The video is pretty easy. Post it on Youtube, copy the link Youtube provides and paste it in your post - instant video.

·
Registered
2004 Yamaha rhino 660
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So here’s a link to the video. May 13, 2021 the noise is towards the end of the video. I’ve also noticed if I hit the gas while it’s making the noise it stops.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hard to tell exactly what's going on there, but sounds to me like it's coming from the clutch area. Try taking off the CVT cover, start back up, rev up and then see if the noise is coming from this area. If so, time to service the clutch system.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2006 450 and mine sounds exactly like yours. The sound you are speaking of, does it start at the 12-13 second mark, in the video?
FWIW - I had a total bottom and top end rebuild about 6 months ago and was hoping the noise would stop but I am still getting the same noise. No performance related issues but that sound, 12-13 second mark, bothers me. Also, my one-way bearing was installed properly, I checked it out with the cover off and the clutch will only turn in one direction, the correct direction and my engine brake works perfect. PLEASE can someone answer the noise issue?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts