Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, was on a run last weekend, we stopped and when I went to go again, there was just a sort of grinding noise, but would not go forward (almost sounded like when you put it in gear and the engine is running too fast). I put it in 4wd, and was able to go no problem, but it still made the grinding noise sometimes, but at least I can move. I thought my rear end was the problem (maybe stripped), but upon taking a closer look, the rear driveshaft is not turning at all when trying to go in 2wd so its not the rear end. I drove about 20 miles after this started (in 4wd) and it's still able to move...

Any ideas?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I don't think its the middle gear drive support. I just took the rear driveshaft out and I can turn the driveshaft inside the male spline at the engine. The splines seem ok on the shaft, could they be wore out inside the shaft coming out of the engine?

·
Registered
687 Posts
If you have 700 it maybe a broken through shaft in the motor. It has reportedly happened to others, enough so that I believe there is even an upgraded shaft available for replacement. Also I am not sure you should be able to turn the output shaft by hand. When you turn the rear output shaft, it should turn the front one at the same time as well (does not matter if it is in 2 wheel or 4 wheel as that is all handled in the front differential). If that doesnt happen then you will need to check the shaft.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I removed the flange/splines coming out of the motor, and with the drive shaft and the flange in my hands, I can turn the driveshaft freely inside the flange. I guess I need some new parts :)

Thanks for the replies...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts