Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently we are having an unusual snow storm here in NW Wasington state. I took it upon myself to cruise downtown in the Rhino. The Sheriff's dept. doesn't have a sense of humor anymore!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought they would just wave, Frown maybe, It's all compact snow and ice on the roads, I wasn't doing anything crazy. I thought i heard something about trying to legalize them on the street here? I better Google the topic. $268 later and a buddy to pick me up and get the trailer because the officer said it was to dangerous to drive home because of the larger vehicles on the road. How dangerous is it to tow a trailer on compact snow and ice? Anyway, I got off easy because it could've been impounded as well. Ahhhh the memories!

·
Registered
395 Posts
what town scoops?...I'm in sedro-woolley....we have 6" snow...school is closed...so i let the boys drive the rhino around town...they wanted to load on friends trailer and take to his property...i told them just drive around hear....the local cops...well one of them...everytime my son does anything....he catches him...and gives us this long lectsure...what kind of example are you teaching your son?....on and on...ive had to tell him many times...give us a warning, give us a ticket...or let us go...what are you mutha tareasa?...hes a good kid and the high school football star...they have been gone all day and starting to get dark....i'm i getting worried?...no...i'm sure him and friends are haveing a great time...some girls too...i wish my dad had a rhino?...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what town scoops?...I'm in sedro-woolley....we have 6" snow...school is closed...so i let the boys drive the rhino around town...they wanted to load on friends trailer and take to his property...i told them just drive around hear....the local cops...well one of them...everytime my son does anything....he catches him...and gives us this long lectsure...what kind of example are you teaching your son?....on and on...ive had to tell him many times...give us a warning, give us a ticket...or let us go...what are you mutha tareasa?...hes a good kid and the high school football star...they have been gone all day and starting to get dark....i'm i getting worried?...no...i'm sure him and friends are haveing a great time...some girls too...i wish my dad had a rhino?...
Over in Silverdale, Sounds like we got about the same snow fall. I probably shouldn't have went right through down town but f%$k it. I turned around at the stop sign to go back the other way and he came sliding out of a restaurant parking lot all crossed up in his Tahoe! Good for your son, Probably having the time of his life.

·
Registered
395 Posts
yep...i just called him...he said a friend got his quad stuck down in a hole and they just pulled it out with the rhino...all his friends where cheering!...the black rhino will be the talk of the high school tomorrow....when we were kids all we had was mini bikes and dirt bikes...then 3 wheelers...whoo hoo....then quads...dam fun...and now rhino/side x sides...dam lucky us!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I live in Idaho, and its not uncommon to see someone cruising around town on an ATV. I have driven my Rhino into town several times. You can't drive it on a highway or freeway, but on county and city streets its ok as long as you use hand and arm signals for turn signals unless you have the turn signal kit installed, you also have to have a horn, and a rearview mirror and license and insurance of course. I've driven by several officers both city and county here and they wave and don't say anything, only thing I've got from them is I want one of those, and how far can you go on a tank of gas. The bad thing is the rhino's rear axle is fully locked, no open rear differential option, so unless you are careful you can easily roll one going around a corner too fast. Not to mention it tears up the tires really bad. 1 year of ownership and my tires are already about 1/2 gone.

I think its BS that a lot of towns and cities in the country don't allow ATV's and UTV's on the roads. How is it any different than people riding scooters, or the damn smart cars which by the way the Rhino is bigger than a Smart Car. Google the Specs and compare. Pretty sad when an offroad utility machine is bigger than a car LOL. I think the biggest problem is towns and cities just love to make money and people driving their ATV or UTV around gets them practically no money because the cost of a license is very small or at least here in Idaho its only $11.50 a year with the offroad sticker and the restricted plate which I find very funny because its still licensed and registered, which from what I've been told it can be operated legally on the road as long as its registered and insured so most of this past summer I used it when I ran into town to the store. I got a lot of compliments and absolutely no negative feedback from fellow citizens or law enforcement, but then again I wasn't doing anything stupid I was using it as a vehicle so they never said a thing. Even drove through the drive through a couple times at McDonalds and they thought it was pretty cool.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I live in Idaho, and its not uncommon to see someone cruising around town on an ATV. I have driven my Rhino into town several times. You can't drive it on a highway or freeway, but on county and city streets its ok as long as you use hand and arm signals for turn signals unless you have the turn signal kit installed, you also have to have a horn, and a rearview mirror and license and insurance of course. I've driven by several officers both city and county here and they wave and don't say anything, only thing I've got from them is I want one of those, and how far can you go on a tank of gas. The bad thing is the rhino's rear axle is fully locked, no open rear differential option, so unless you are careful you can easily roll one going around a corner too fast. Not to mention it tears up the tires really bad. 1 year of ownership and my tires are already about 1/2 gone.

I think its BS that a lot of towns and cities in the country don't allow ATV's and UTV's on the roads. How is it any different than people riding scooters, or the damn smart cars which by the way the Rhino is bigger than a Smart Car. Google the Specs and compare. Pretty sad when an offroad utility machine is bigger than a car LOL. I think the biggest problem is towns and cities just love to make money and people driving their ATV or UTV around gets them practically no money because the cost of a license is very small or at least here in Idaho its only $11.50 a year with the offroad sticker and the restricted plate which I find very funny because its still licensed and registered, which from what I've been told it can be operated legally on the road as long as its registered and insured so most of this past summer I used it when I ran into town to the store. I got a lot of compliments and absolutely no negative feedback from fellow citizens or law enforcement, but then again I wasn't doing anything stupid I was using it as a vehicle so they never said a thing. Even drove through the drive through a couple times at McDonalds and they thought it was pretty cool.

Sounds like a great place to live! They should be legal everywhere with the proper equipment. They are way safer than a motorcycle or scooter. This is the anti fun state, Everything that is fun is illegal.

·
Registered
395 Posts
and we pay the highest tax for everything....we have high gas tax....why is the 2 diesels...off road and onroad?...why not the same with gas...the tax fixes the streets...what about the gas in lawn mower or dirt bike or other off highway gas powered things...gennerators?...my big crewcab truck has 20 extra cuz of the weight...my honda scooter has the same fee...i told the lady you should be paying me to ride my scooter to work

·
Registered
252 Posts

Sounds like a great place to live! They should be legal everywhere with the proper equipment. They are way safer than a motorcycle or scooter. This is the anti fun state, Everything that is fun is illegal.
Seems a lot of states are anti-fun. Those cops would have a field day up in the mountain towns where people drive their snow mobiles around all winter, why because the snow gets so damn deep they can't even find their cars most of the time. I've camped in a few small towns where I could drive 3 miles from camp down to the little general store on the highway and ATV's, UTV's, and Snow Mobiles have the right of way, not very often you find something like that. As a matter of fact you go ride around on an ATV, Snow Mobile or UTV up there you get more respect than if you drive around in a car it seems like.

However, here its like everywhere else, you get one new cop who don't know the local rules they cause trouble. The town I live in is a farming community so its not uncommon to get stuck behind a tractor or other farm machinery on the highway, so I guess they figure that someone driving their ATV, or UTV on the road isn't going to hurt anything especially since most of the city limits has a maximum speed limit of 25mph anyhow and the town is full of old retired people who are lucky to drive around at 20mph anyways and cause more traffic problems than tractors, atv's etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What is the law concerning tractors on the road? Can i smack an orange triangle on the back, maybe a little mountain of dirt in the bed and call it a farm vehicle? How about all the guys plowing the parking lots? Lots of them drive the equipment from job to job?

·
Registered
395 Posts
your right 2scoops...check into that...i was thinking even with the horn,blinkers windshield and all that jaz...they would say my tires are not dot aproved for highway...but ether is a back hoe or grader

·
Registered
252 Posts
What is the law concerning tractors on the road? Can i smack an orange triangle on the back, maybe a little mountain of dirt in the bed and call it a farm vehicle? How about all the guys plowing the parking lots? Lots of them drive the equipment from job to job?
Well according to law you are supposed to have the slow moving vehicle placard, but I very rarely see them around here, but who's going to argue with someone driving one of these:

·
Registered
395 Posts
what it is...what someone said erlyer.....there is NO way someone on a tractor could possably be haveing any fun...side x side with a smile on your face...lets get him danno!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
what it is...what someone said erlyer.....there is NO way someone on a tractor could possably be haveing any fun...side x side with a smile on your face...lets get him danno!
I guess i should have driven my Kubota to town instead! I wouldn't have been pulled over, But i wouldn't have had a smile on my face either. What's the difference though? Same kind of off road tires, same lights, no license plates and no immediate proof of insurance. My Rhino drives one hell of alot better and far safer than the Kubota does.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts