Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just aquired a 2006 yamaha rhino, it has a 6+ socal suspension and gorilla axles. The rear passenger axleshaft is broken, the cv and a piece of the shaft are still in differential, I'm trying to take the drives shaft off to pound out the peice of shaft that is still in the cv. how do I remove the shaft ive been pushing it in and pulling it out with a jerking motion like everyone suggests, the rhino is securly on jack stands and ive been pulling so hard that its almost fallen off the stands, is there something else I have to do that i'm not getting? I'll try and post pics if i can figure out how to (maybe someone could let me know how to do that too?)

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
We make a special slide hammer for pulling them. Gorrilla's are a PITA. I think we sell our tool for about 150.

Thanks,

·
Registered
37 Posts
They suck to get off!

I finally had to chain one side of my rhino to a column, then hook a Semi trailer ratchet strap around the other axle so it locked itself onto the shaft without sliding into the cv, then basically pull on the axle against the column until I couldn't crank it anymore. Then I went to the column side and hit the end of the loose axle with a sledge toward the dif. and the other side with the strap pulling on it popped right out. Once you get one out you can get a piece of pipe that fits through the dif. (1" maybe?) and hit the other out from inside the dif.

In your situation you may have to get the other side off first, then hit the broken side out from inside the dif.

Not very fancy and technical, but it sure worked good for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just bolted the hub back on and gave it one last heave-hoe and it popped out, now what do I do with the broken axle shaft? do I send it to gorilla to get it repaired? Also with the axle shaft I pulled out (pulled it to hammer the other broken one out), can I just throw that back in, or do i need new gorilla cir-clips (they look fine, but wanna be sure).

·
Registered
394 Posts
Just order a new shaft the same length from gorilla. They are around 90 bucks. Make sure you tell them the splines count because they made 2 different ones. Also order new clips. You got it apart so may as well replace them. They are cheap.

John

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
this is the inner CV joint (differential side) of the rear passenger side, as you can see there is a piece/fragment of axle shaft in there (more like splined segment) it moves back and forth inside the CV along the splines, but i have no idea how to get it out? also for the outter CV I read all you need to do is put it in a vice and use a sledge to get it off, is this true? I'm really make what should be a 30 minute job into a multipe hour job, I suck.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the same problem, was riding on a clear trail this morning and out of no where, clunk and only LH wheel driving. When I got back to the garage I checked the axle and the RH shaft was moving all over. I took a knife and split the boot because I couldn't wait to see what when wrong, grease exploded everywhere and after i got the boot out of the way i found the axle had snapped off just inside the outer joint. I took off the spindle to try and get the end out; the joint seems to move freely but there is about an inch long piece stuck in it that I can't get a grip on to pull out. Even then they usually have to be pounded off (use an air hammer, makes it easy) so I don't know how I'd ever get it out. Will be calling Monday to see if I can just send the whole thing back. Still have to figure out how to pull the inner joint out of the diff.

I have their axles front & rear and have had three out in the past to replace boots; they were all twisted at the splines. For the price of these things I can't believe the problems. I don't mud or race, just trail ride and could not believe how bad of shape they were in. At this point I feel like I should replace them all before more fail but no way I would spend $2k on another set of these! Given most problems seem to be with the shafts I'm inclined to got back to stock CV's and have the halfshafts made locally as it's actually pretty cheap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts