Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching for a good heater solution for the Rhino without having to spend $400+ on other solutions like the Rhino Gear heater, etc... Not to knock these products as I am sure they are really nice. I just cant justify $400+

I decided it had to be water heated.. it would be less work on the electrical system if your running a radio, lights, etc... I didn't want anything that took up room in the cab. It also had to have a way to run a defrost.

I found, I think a great solution. At Summit Racing, they have their own line of mojave style heaters.

Here is the one I purchased.

Summit SUM-991102 - $134.95

Summit SUM-991103
Heater Duct Kit - $27.95

Here is a Rhino specific heater.

The Differences.

The rhino heater is 12,000 BTU (I believe).. the Summit heater is 28,000 BTU. The rhino heater has a 2 speed fan, the summit has a 3 speed fan.

The rhino heater just has holes in the dash.

The Summit heater has an actual vent that swivels, you can open and close it also. The rhino heater has defrost, you can easily add it to the Summit heater.

The similarities... look at the mounting system on the rhino heater and the Summit heater, here is the rhino heater, look up for the summit heater pic.

You can see the rhino heater has 3 holes and the summit 2.. the 3rd hole is for the defrost, we can add this on the summit heater if you need it. You can just put a 3 inch T on the end of one of the outputs on the summit heater and run a 3rd pipe to a defrost vent. Summit carrys those also.

Rhino heater defrost

Summit defrost vent
HRA-24-2001 $19.95

As you can see they are very similar, I ordered the parts tonight, so when they come in, I will take some pictures of the whole install and hopefully it will work out well. In the summer you could remove the heater hoses and use the vents to cool your legs! Someone out there may have done this before, but I searched and could not come up with a good solution.. We shall see.. Total price w/ shipping $173.85

·
Registered
297 Posts
you can also cut holes and mount a computer fan to push out heat from the motor. cut the holes next to the seat a foot level next to the motor. use computers fans that can push air in or out.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have been searching for a good heater solution for the Rhino without having to spend $400+ on other solutions like the Rhino Gear heater, etc... Not to knock these products as I am sure they are really nice. I just cant justify $400+

I decided it had to be water heated.. it would be less work on the electrical system if your running a radio, lights, etc... I didn't want anything that took up room in the cab. It also had to have a way to run a defrost.

I found, I think a great solution. At Summit Racing, they have their own line of mojave style heaters.

Here is the one I purchased.

Summit SUM-991102 - $134.95

Summit SUM-991103
Heater Duct Kit - $27.95

Here is a Rhino specific heater.

The Differences.

The rhino heater is 12,000 BTU (I believe).. the Summit heater is 28,000 BTU. The rhino heater has a 2 speed fan, the summit has a 3 speed fan.

The rhino heater just has holes in the dash.

The Summit heater has an actual vent that swivels, you can open and close it also. The rhino heater has defrost, you can easily add it to the Summit heater.

The similarities... look at the mounting system on the rhino heater and the Summit heater, here is the rhino heater, look up for the summit heater pic.

You can see the rhino heater has 3 holes and the summit 2.. the 3rd hole is for the defrost, we can add this on the summit heater if you need it. You can just put a 3 inch T on the end of one of the outputs on the summit heater and run a 3rd pipe to a defrost vent. Summit carrys those also.

Rhino heater defrost

Summit defrost vent
HRA-24-2001 $19.95

As you can see they are very similar, I ordered the parts tonight, so when they come in, I will take some pictures of the whole install and hopefully it will work out well. In the summer you could remove the heater hoses and use the vents to cool your legs! Someone out there may have done this before, but I searched and could not come up with a good solution.. We shall see.. Total price w/ shipping $173.85
Very nice.

I'll be interested in reading your product review.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Let us know how well it works and how easy install was. That would make the wife happier on some colder rides.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I've been plowing snow all winter at 7800' freezing cold out. I do have a cab enclosure on but I just pulled the boot off my emergency brake (08) and it works most excellent. Really heats it up after the motor gets warm.

·
Registered
158 Posts
jc whitney sells that setup too... ;) little cheaper.

anything marketed for rhino is going to include an extra hit you in the head fee.... all you really need is a fan and a heater core from any car.

for 130 bucks that summit kit is a nice little setup. they have electric ones designed for school buses if you are not into running heater hoses all over the place.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
you can also cut holes and mount a computer fan to push out heat from the motor. cut the holes next to the seat a foot level next to the motor. use computers fans that can push air in or out.
That is a good idea, but when your actually moving, I dont think that fan is going to do much. Also... I go through deep water, so... those things would be clogged with muddy water the 1st time I took em out. This heater is going to produce some major heat.

I do not have a full enclosure... I have to weigh my options. I have a 1/2 windshield and roof. I might buy the yamaha plastic rear window, but do not know how it will work with only a 1/2 windshield and not a full one. I thought it might just throw the cold air up against the rear window and back on my neck.

When I 1st install, I am not going to install the defrost, just because I might not need it with only a 1/2 windshield.

I also removed my emergency boot and it does put up a little heat, but if your cab is not fully enclosed it just rolls right out of it.

This heater is out of the way of the cab, has nice vents, and if the rhino heater at 12000btu keeps you toasty.. imagine the 28000 btu of the summit heater.. should keep me extremely warm without an enclosed cab... either way, for $170 ill try it out.

If it works, ill put together a kit on ebay and sell it for more... im sure it would sell.

jc whitney sells that setup too... ;) little cheaper.

anything marketed for rhino is going to include an extra hit you in the head fee.... all you really need is a fan and a heater core from any car.

for 130 bucks that summit kit is a nice little setup. they have electric ones designed for school buses if you are not into running heater hoses all over the place.
I did see those heaters, but all they are is a space heater, which we all know takes up juice, esp on a Rhino. Plus it mounts in your cab and is ugly. This setup will be hotter, cleaner install, and not use much power at all on the battery.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Just some food for thought ...... even though summit claims 28000 BTU this is limited by how much and how hot the water is. On a cold day you may find that there is not enough heat in the water from the motor to produce 28000 BTU. The same holds true about the rhino heater.

Dan

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just some food for thought ...... even though summit claims 28000 BTU this is limited by how much and how hot the water is. On a cold day you may find that there is not enough heat in the water from the motor to produce 28000 BTU. The same holds true about the rhino heater.

Dan
True... but I believe it will be hot enough, we beat the **** out of our Rhinos... the fans are always running, so im sure it will be hot enough.

·
Registered
158 Posts
True... but I believe it will be hot enough, we beat the **** out of our Rhinos... the fans are always running, so im sure it will be hot enough.
all you have to do is have a thermostat in the water line and your temp will always be the same. ;) they sell inline stat housings. FI rhino should already have a thermostat in them

jcwhitney has, or at least used to have the water plumbed kits like you have. they are very common on old hot/rat rod type of work where even heaters were not available or at best optional.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
all you have to do is have a thermostat in the water line and your temp will always be the same. ;) they sell inline stat housings. FI rhino should already have a thermostat in them

jcwhitney has, or at least used to have the water plumbed kits like you have. they are very common on old hot/rat rod type of work where even heaters were not available or at best optional.
Yeah, I know the heaters have been around for a while, I just never realized how similar the Summit model is to the rhino model.

·
Registered
158 Posts
hehe... they are all the same. there are just some enterprising individuals out there recycling old ideas, and marketing to the utv crowd. nothing wrong with that at all. but eventually word gets out what they are doing ;) god bless the internet!

·
Registered
143 Posts
That looks like the one I was looking at.My question is that I have a extra battery in the spot that it should be mounted. Any suggestion on another place to mount. I was thinking of a mounting plate on the left side?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I go through deep water, so... those things would be clogged with muddy water the 1st time I took em out. .
I question whether any of these heater setups are designed to be mounted in an environment like a Rhino underhood area. Too much exposure to the elements. I've been wrong before.

How about the one that directs air from behind the radiator into the cab...no power draw there.

·
Registered
158 Posts
its obvious none of these are designed for a rhino. these are all designed for dry use, above water etc. if you get water in the squirrel cage it will pump some through the vents, the rest should drain out the bottom drain line in the heater box. nothing can meet every need ;)

you can divert air from the radiator, but the problem is you cannot easily turn off the heat without sacrificing air flow through the radiator. unless of course you make a diverter with a flapper. one directs air to the vent system the other just dumps under the hood.

all heaters will draw a certain amount of energy as they all have electric fans to push the air.

if you wanted a safe, easily installed option you could use all weather seat covers {like those found for jeeps} with seat heaters underneath... unless you have aftermarket seats where you can pull the covering off and have the heaters installed in the foam. the benefit to this is it will keep you warm even without a windshield or full cab.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Your right about none of these are designed for the Rhino. It will hold up to the elements, the Rhino Gear heaters do.. so why wouldn't this one.

It arrived today! I am surprised how small this thing really is, its going to be really easy to mount in the Rhino. As far as rocks, sticks, etc.. getting in the squirrel cage.. im going to put screening on it like we used to do on the turbos for the "street race cars", that should protect the big stuff... I am also going to try and build a water shield.

Here are some pics.

Here are the mounts that the Rhino heater uses.. just need to modify them a tad for them to fit.

Here is the switch, its PERFECT... I wouldnt have imagined it would be that small... should look really nice on the Rhino dash. In this picture, look how small the switch and plate are compared to my mouse.

Heres some of the heater, look how small it is compared to my mouse pad.

Here are the vents.. better than the Rhino heater. These vents come on an L bracket.. I am going to cut the one end off and mount them flush on the Rhino dash.

Here is the whole package, fits nice on my desk chair, you can see how small it is.. this thing is going to be great!

I am going to get the Rhino at lunch time and start on it this afternoon.

·
Registered
430 Posts
You could cut up some outerwear material for a water shield. If you can't get one off of an old air filter, I'm sure a good fabric store might have it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I tried to mock it up yesterday... not sure if this is going to work... I mean ill be able to get it to work, but its not going to be a bolt on, gonna involve making custom brackets and welding, etc...

ill keep u guys posted.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I installed the same heater a few weeks ago in my personal rhino . I placed mine under the drivers seat ( I know that it took away all my storage but i never used it anyway). all i did was install the L brackets where they were on top and it fit perfectly on the seat rails under the seat , then i ran some self tapping screws into the rails. I then cut the radiator hose that runs by the clutch cover and installed 2 3/4" heater hose elbows and ran 5/8" heater hose to the heater. ran my wires through the tunnel and up to the dash and installed the switch just under the 4wd switch, ran the neg. wire to the battery and the pos. to the keyed hot at the power outlet . I went ahead and installed the 2008 center tunnel with the cup holders and then drilled a 3" hole in each side of the tunnel and installed the vents into those holes and ran the hoses to them . of course I then had to go out of town and leave it with my dad but he said it worked great. the only problem that i had was trying to get the air out of the system , I ended up removing the hose going to the heater and filling it up then raising the front end of the rhino up a couple feet to get the filler neck higher and everything worked after that . I have to get the rhino back from dad but i will try and get some pics as soon as i can. hope this has been understandable and helpful

Kelly Hogg
"hogglett"

1 - 20 of 76 Posts