Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading out to Glamis for veteran's day and was wondering if I should just run without the cvt filter. I have a utv inc. Greaseless sheave. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Heading out to Glamis for veteran's day and was wondering if I should just run without the cvt filter. I have a utv inc. Greaseless sheave. What are your thoughts?

Take it off and never use it again!!!!!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I keep hearing peeps hate CVT filters and how it heats up the belt.
I run mine but clean it after every ride, run outer wear over it and appositely no oil on it since its a breather and not an intake.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
The foam style won't clog as fast as the AFE filter did on me. I was half way through a dune run with mine and by the time I stopped to get some water, I smelled burning rubber and plastic coming up fr behind the seats. I lifted the bed and saw that the plastic exhaust duct had a hole in it. It was the first ride after installing it, so I know it was clean. By the time I got back to camp the stock sliders had broke in half and wedged themselves between the grease cover and cam plate reducing my top speed to 30 mph.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
The foam style won't clog as fast as the AFE filter did on me. I was half way through a dune run with mine and by the time I stopped to get some water, I smelled burning rubber and plastic coming up fr behind the seats. I lifted the bed and saw that the plastic exhaust duct had a hole in it. It was the first ride after installing it, so I know it was clean. By the time I got back to camp the stock sliders had broke in half and wedged themselves between the grease cover and cam plate reducing my top speed to 30 mph.
Wow that sucks. I only run my filter cus I ride moslty in dusty conditions and want to avoid dirt/dust buildup in the CVT but I have hear peeps run without the CVT filter and just inspect it every so often so we shall see.

You guys that dont run a CVT filter just completely remove the black duct pipe that connects to the CVT cover as well?? Isnt that spot right infront of the driver side rear tire?

1,651 Posts
i had the same thing happen, just like Steve. Took his advice and no problems. it only takes a bit to take the cover off and blow off the cvt if you run greaseless, but what do I know?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Wow that sucks. I only run my filter cus I ride moslty in dusty conditions and want to avoid dirt/dust buildup in the CVT but I have hear peeps run without the CVT filter and just inspect it every so often so we shall see.

You guys that dont run a CVT filter just completely remove the black duct pipe that connects to the CVT cover as well?? Isnt that spot right infront of the driver side rear tire?

I have all the duct work intact so I could theoreticly do water crossings, HAHAHA!!!!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Personally I would not hesitate to run w/o an outer cover on mine in the dunes much less feel the need to filter the cvt intake...from a standpoint of needing to keep dirt/dust/sand off the cvt...

However, the outer cover allows you to run the exhaust from the air flow onto the head/header and blow air in the area of the fuel pump...

Restricting air flow can only hurt that...and help overheat your fuel pump...

For what it's worth...Yamaha did add an impeller to the secondary sheave on the 700 efi that was not present on the 660...

Clearly the only reason for that would be to increase air flow...

So where some see the need for filtration at the expense of air flow...the factory has never seen the need for filter but did see a need for increased air flow...

Does that mean the factory knows best... :dunno:

Same argument applies to the crank case vent...they never saw a need to filter it...I do...they saw no need to cut down on oil being blown out of crankcase...I do... :dunno:

IMO...the outer cover has more value for blowing air on the head/header that than keeping dust out...

Mud and water are...imo...the only thing you need an outer cover for...because obviously you get your belt wet you are done...at least for a while... :)

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
i had the same thing happen, just like Steve. Took his advice and no problems. it only takes a bit to take the cover off and blow off the cvt if you run greaseless, but what do I know?

The guys that run Bronco clutches can't use the cover and don't seem to have any problems. Personally I think the covers main purpose is for water.
I'm going to remove mind when I go to the dunes and see how it does. If it seems to stay cool, it will be even easier to blow out with the compressor.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Same can be said for the PDM dry clutch for the Rhino as well...

Not to mention an untold number of golf carts...

Put thousands of miles on my golf cart in the desert and the only time I ever regretted not having a cover was EVERY TIME I had to cross a mud puddle... :aargh4:

·
Registered
3,591 Posts

I have all the duct work intact so I could theoreticly do water crossings, HAHAHA!!!!
Nice! Just add a snorkel kit and your ready to do sum muddin'! LOL :13:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I used to do mud years ago with a 82' 4x4 Toyota pu and I hated the clean up.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I used to do mud years ago with a 82' 4x4 Toyota pu and I hated the clean up.
I have honestly never liked the mud. Doesn't look entertaining to me. But that's my opinion. And yeah cleaning that mess up looks like a pain in the but. Ill stick to dirt and sand! :banana:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have run mine with a filter for close to three years now and never had a problem in the dunes, desert, where ever I go. Just keep it clean.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts