Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a 2008 rhino 700 hunter. The original gas cap is crazy hard to get on and off. It also won’t seal correctly. Any suggestions on a fix for this problem? I ordered a new factory gas cap and it has the exact same issues as my original cap. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. The threads on the neck and cap are in perfect condition. I’ve tried lubing the threads and that did not help.

it appears to be some kind of flaw in the design where the two threads do not quite match. I’ve seen old posts that describe the same issue but no one has posted a fix.

·
Registered
144 Posts
heat up you cap with a heat gun if you have one , run it on your tank , it should cut a new thread pitch to match the thread on the tank neck . since you have 2 alike , put a good amount of heat on the first to cut the threads, let it set a few minutes to back off so it will set .

Jake

·
Registered
526 Posts
Silicon lube on threads and take a hacksaw blade or triangular file and cut a bunch of grooves in the finger recesses of the cap and on the highs too. Easy to grab and take off.... works for me.... do it on all my units.
Edit: make sure you have an OEM cap that matches tank.

·
Registered
2008 rhino
3 Posts
I just bought a 2008 rhino with the same problem with the gas cap but I just thought it’s because my fingers were too thick to grab the gas cap due to their not being much room to get your fingers on there. I think what I’m gonna do is try to make an extension gas cap remover out of wood. Like a oil filter wrench. Or a big custom socket to fit over the cap to take off and put It back on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts