Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering changing my OEM pump out or putting in an inline electric fuel pump the one I am looking at is Mr. Gasket Part No. 12S Specs: 4-7 PSI, 35 GPH. Universal design for most domestic 4, 6, & 8 cylinder carburetor applications.in as a pony pump so to speak.. I am not an engine guy so If you smart engine guys could chime in I would really appreciate it. I was thinking of putting this in by the gas tank outlet before the OEM pump.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I dont like electric pumps on the rhino. If you havea accident/rollover it will keep pumping fuel until shut off. Could make a bad situation even worse!

OEM pumps SUCK! After 3 pumps in 2500 miles, I installed the Weller Racing fuel pump and line kit. 1500 miles now and NO more fuel problems.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The reason off-the-shelf electric fuel pumps fail is because they are mounted above the gas tank intead of even at the bottom. These aftermarket pump are designed to push, not suck, the fuel so if you mount them high they won't last long. You can get a Lifetime warranty low pressure fuel pump at Auto Zone much cheaper than Mr. Gasket.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the facet posi flo looks like a good pump. it is available at NAPA. the model is 60104 the Napa number is 610-1051

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good question.... not sure yet.. some here say oh no to electric pump, others say ONLY way to go.. and I actually thought of running it in a pony pump situation so between the tank and OEM pump is my thinking now.. that way the OEM pump is not working so hard and acts as a regulator to some degree.. I am not an engine guy.. Electronics are my area so I am just going on what I have been reading

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
If you buy an electric pump dont buy the mr gasket pump...as others stated the seeem to die pretty easy. I have had great luck with the Faucet pumps, however you will also have to run a fuel pressure regulator.

·
Registered
412 Posts
No regulator here. I mounted my Facet pump level to the bottom of the tank and used the stock line going to the carb, with the T fitting returning to the tank. The return line will not let pressure build beyond the limit of the carb - it free flows back to the tank. Some people have restricted the return with a large jet to increase pressure.

This is also a great opportunity to relocate your fuel filter for easier maintenance.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Rockhound-

could you please post some pictures and prices? I am interested in doing this as well, but I dont want to lose any reliability and I want to do it right the first time.

Also, Did you leave your stock pump on? I'd imagiene the plumbing would go: tank-filter-electric pump-OEM pump-engine?

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
If you buy an electric pump dont buy the mr gasket pump...as others stated the seeem to die pretty easy. I have had great luck with the Faucet pumps, however you will also have to run a fuel pressure regulator.
Jim, Facet does make some low pressure pumps. NO regulater is needed. On our 1600 desert cars we use them and they are mounted higher than the fuel cell. It will lift fuel over 18 inches and only draws 1 amp. The 30 pik carb does not like anything above 4 psi.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey guys the facet pump Part number # 60104 is 4.0 - 1.5 PSI and looks to be the same as the black rhino pump and I don't believe their kit includes a regulator. That is the one I am going to get I think.. the napa store has it here locally in upstate NY so I don't have to have it shipped.. It is NAPA part number 610-1051..

·
Registered
412 Posts
Rockhound-

could you please post some pictures and prices? I am interested in doing this as well, but I dont want to lose any reliability and I want to do it right the first time.

Also, Did you leave your stock pump on? I'd imagiene the plumbing would go: tank-filter-electric pump-OEM pump-engine?
I removed the stock pump. The plumbing is tank, filter, pump, T-connector, engine/return line. This setup has been very reliable for me. Be sure to wire the pump to a dedicated power source. I used a relay activated by the key switch. Get the Facet pump with the lowest PSI rating, which I believe is 1.5 - 4 PSI.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Would there be any issue with mounting the electric pump inline upstream of the factory pump? Of course you would need to move the fuel filter to be upstream of this pump. I was thinking about installing one on a toggle switch in order to be able to use it only when its needed. Would the factory pump still work with this pump upstream of it?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmmm good question.. I am considering down stream( between tank and OEM pump). Given the OEM pump is low pressure and pressurized from engine.. I am not sure that it wouldnt be to restrictive if you placed it between oem and carb... That loop I am leaving intact. I just bought the facet from NAPA PN 610-1051 which appears to be same as black rhinos pump ( brp does include some very cool stuff with theirs I just didnt want to order and wait)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sorry to revive this old thread.... but I respectfully disagree with the tee return back to the tank.

First, the pump is probably designed to deadhead... i.e. no return line needed.

I don't really like a deadhead electric pump system though.

With your setup.....you have an unrestricted fuel return back to the tank. The fuel will flow the path of least resistance.

I'm not arguing that your system isn't working.

The only reason it is working, is the small tee and small line and fittings back to the tank offer some measure of restriction allowing some excess fuel down the other side of the tee to the carb.

Put it this way.... if you put a 3/8 tee and restricted the line back down to 1/4 or 5/16 going in the carb.... but left a 3/8 line returning to the tank and 3/8 fittings. I am betting you would see some fuel delivery issues....because you would be returning a buttload of fuel back to the tank due to the lack of restriction.

I sort of want to go electric, but would like a real return style fuel pressure regulator...... or just set the pump pressure as low as it will go and let it deadhead.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts