Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st time posting.
Sorry for the long post ,my actual questions are at the bottom. I figured giving some back ground information might be helpful..

***PLEASE don't think just because I'm a girl, I don't know anything about working on vichicles. Im starting to be a pretty good grease monkey so I'm so I'm told, but I only just figured out I like working on vichicles maybe 2yrs ago. So I have alot to learn too, and this first time I've worked on a smaller engine. Also Don't think any less of my dad not doing it his self he would he if he was able. He is a disabled veteran and his body only lets him ride these days. That's why I like to get it fixed quick as possible. But not half ass either.

I'm 98.8% sure the factory fuel is done. Its the same pump on the rhino as when we got the rhino 1yr ago and we go riding alot. When tried sucking on the hose that comes off front square part of the pump nothing came out. Plus after breaking down in the middle of nowhere no cell service ,and of course that one time I decided to go alone. I used and pop bottle to make a shity gravity fed tank (witch btw it's harder then I figured to regulate the gas) and by passed the fuel pump to get me 3miles back in to phone service, and called to have it hauled the rest of the way home.
the rhino had been cutting in out but only done it for a sec then run just find. Sometimes in another 5 tob10 miles it might do it again but not everytime. Then my dad had it out and it completely shut off wouldn't start back we figured the filter was dity and clogged but by the time I got to him only took me 30 to 45 mins it started ran fine but we went ahead and changed the filter away. He rode it at least anther 50miles no issues.Ran great....then I went at least another 50miles before it shut off on me. i waited 45mins and it wouldn't start it would crank over, I tried using the choke and started for a sec the died again. I didn't wanna keep trying to start it and kill the battery but I didn't wanna walk either. I was hanging out with a friend awhile and the fuel pump went out on his truck and he show me the gravity tank trick. He's also who I've learned pretty every thing from. So i decided to try gravity feed tank trick hopping it would it's a little harder then you'd or least I thought to regulate the gas btw

My question are:
•should I switch it to an electric pump?
•Would a low pressure one with the right psi from a local part store work?
•should I just up grade to a better manual pump?
•if you think I'm wrong , then what do you thinks wrong?

And I'll listen to any advice you're willing to give me.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Make sure the insulators are on your fuel line or it will act like its vapor locking when the lines get hot. Ill try and post pics and part#s in a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Holiday Winner!
613 Posts
Yes, you can switch to electric, you will need a very low pressure fuel pump though, about one pound is enough. A lot of people like to go to electric as you avoid some of the priming issues with the vacuum pump. If you have not been bothered by the priming issues (having to crank a lot when it sits for more than a week or two) I would just replace or rebuild the OEM pump. Hard wiring an electric pump is easy enough but for safety you want a roll over cut off, and an automatic shut off to prevent it from continuing to run when the motor is off. The carb is not designed for inverted flight, so if you roll and are upside down the fuel will leak out and if the electric pump is running it will continue to pump as long as there is fuel to the pickup tube. Some people wire the pump to the ignition switch which works fine as long as nobody accidently leaves the switch on, and you remember to shut it off before an accident. We switched my brother's 660 to electric and went through several cheap fuel pumps before getting the black rhino kit (which worked well) most of the cheap pumps were too much pressure or would stop working after 20-50 miles.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts

#7&8, if u need a new pump i would get oem, and also add a primer bulb just like boats have, there are serval posts on here about adding one, hope this helps you out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would stick with the factory pump. on mine I run a electric pump to prim only, after it sits a couple days and it fires right up then I turn off the pump.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts