Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. i have been chasing this problem for about a year now..

untit.

05 686 mudbuster cam. ported and polished. HD hot rod crank stock stroke. black rhino electric fuel pump. removed stator side fan and housing.. relocated oil cooler and radiator. sphinon break

this is how you get it to act up... today took it out to do some aggressive trail riding to work all these bugs out before race day.. its 30 degrees outside today and rode it hard on twisted trails and hill climbs on and off the throttle.. 45 mins into my ride it acts like your running out of gas. spits and sputter and shuts off.. let is set for a min or tow and it will refire and run fine..

Rad fan circulates like it should on and off. (actually less now then when the rad was in the stock location)

anythoughts?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
x2 on the electric pump...

Electric fuel pumps are a safety hazard if they are not set up such that they will shut off when the motor quits running...especially if you are racing it...

However, odds are the pump itself is not your problem and I doubt seriously if it is vapor locking on you...it is also not known exactly how its plumbed etc...for example does it have a pressure regulator and does it have a return line...

The first thing you have to do is find out what the status of fuel delivery and fuel level inside the carb is at the time it quits...in other words is the fuel line to the carb empty...and if there is fuel in the line is the fuel level inside the carb correct...???

Do you have a stock gas tank or a fuel cell...???

And you do have a stock carb right...???

·
Registered
306 Posts
Could be. Electric pumps have better luck at pushing fuel than drawing, try a fresh fuel filter,then go run it hard just like last ride, then if it quits, feel the fuel pump, if it's very warm or you are able to remove the pressure side and nothing comes out then you know what the problem is or isn't.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I guess I should have given reasoning for my fuel pump comment. Over many years of r/d, testing, and race mile abuse we have found that your style of pump fails. The fuel pump you are using is a solid-state style fuel pump. Solid state technology is basically a magnet that is pulsed to produce pressure. As your Rhino is being bounced around that magnet that is moving back and forth gets interrupted or cancelled out from vibration causing you to lose fuel pressure. If you want to continue using an electric fuel pump I would recommend changing to a non solid state type...but a better idea would be to change to the Mikuni mechanical upgrade.

Nate

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
IMO...the only thing the electric fuel pumps are good for is priming the fuel system...

The way to do that is plumb them in series with the vacuum operated fuel pump on a momentary switch...that allows you to push the button and prime the system quickly w/o cranking the motor...that can be a battery saver...and serves as a back-up fuel pump when needed...and you don't have to worry about the pump continuing to run full time if the vehicle is upside down with motor off or on fire etc...pump will only run while you hold the button down...

I usually recommend that e-primer to people who already have an electric fuel pump and want to revert back to an up-graded vacuum pump system...we will supply lines as needed for customers wanting to DIY the e-primer with any of our fuel delivery kits upon request...it will add a few dollars to the cost...we also have steel brackets pre-drilled for stock pump, Mikuni 65L dual output vacuum pump, and the Mr. Gasket 3 psi electric pump (electric pump for primer only)...makes access and installation of an e-primer a lot easier...

The fact remains that if there is plenty of gas in the line to the carb and the float bowl is full to the correct level when it dies out that fuel delivery is not the problem... the trick is being able to see where fuel is and isn't at any given time...

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Overall good advice from the other vendors here.
If it were me, i'd put a stock Yamaha vacuum operated fuel pump back on it. Simple, effective, done.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
changing out the fuel lines tomorrow.. and more testing.. Going to take the stock fuel pump with me. see if anything helps..

Thanks for the help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts