Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 660SE, 1009 miles: I was riding the rhino Saturday night. We were in light mud and misty rain. I have mudded it much harder than we were doing at the time. The engine began to die and did. I was able to nurse it back to life with the choke. I was able to drive it the 200-300 yards back to the house, barely. I finally managed to get it to climb into the garage.

I assumed it was out of gas. I didnt have any gas so I left it alone until the next day. I pulled the seat off. I had about 3 inches of gas in the tank. I noticed that the filter only keeps a small amount of gas in it - see pic below. I did drive it 1/4 to 1/2 mile on Sunday without adding anymore gas. It seemed kind of weak.

I'm going to replace the fuel filter. Should the filter have more fuel than my pic (that what it has when running too)?

Does the pump fail gradually or all at once?

I read something one time about some tube being aligned in a certain way - what is that?

I've had this bike for 300 miles. The only thing I've done to it lately was friday evening I installed new rear brakes.

Thanks
Rodney

Attachments

·
Vendor
3,514 Posts
There is a Y going from the output side of the pump to the carb and back to the tank. Make sure the part of the Y that goes back to tank is pointing up.

Change fuel filter, check Y, check tank vents lines making sure they are clear and then finally you might have a fuel pump issue.

Todd

·
Registered
7 Posts
i just had the same problem with my o4, turned out i had a small piece of trash in the plastic pick up that screws in to the top of the tank. check that first then look at the vent line. as far as the filter, mine doesn't even fill a 1/4 of the way up and runs just fine. goodluck

·
Registered
60 Posts
i'm having the same problem as you with my 06 660 SE I replaced fuel filter, pump and all the lines and still haven't figured out whats wrong with it... hope you fiure yours out... and oh yea mine is also backfiring when I loose the power.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Todd, could you look at the pic I posted as to the Y. The part that goes to the tank is rather horizontal until it drops off to the tank.. Is that what you're talking about. But, it's factory clipped in that orientation. I've got some close up pics I can post when I get to the office but would take forever at home with dial up (need to get to office too).

Dan, this is the first time mine has done it, I think. But, I have "ran out of gas" two other times. But now, I'm not sure it was actually empty.

Thanks for all of the responses so far

·
Registered
132 Posts
I got the same problem right now.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Believe it or not, the yamaha shop was out of fuel filters but should have some tomorrow or the next day.

There's a high flow fuel mikuni pump that I see on ebay. Is it better to have than the stock one?

·
Registered
28 Posts
i had a high flow fuel pump on my 06 660 and could tell a little bit of a differance. i've been told that the stock ones done a good job but straved tohe motor at times.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I got 2500 miles out of my stock fuel filter and it was still flowing fuel just like new. Just decided I better replace it before I run into problems out in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Believe it or not, the yamaha shop was out of fuel filters

Take the old one to NAPA or your local parts house and they'll match it for you...much cheaper than the stealership. I bought 2 at NAPA for what they wanted for 1 at stealership, so now I keep a spare in the glove box, just in case.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I had that problem with my 2007, backfiring, losing power, and having to use the choke to limp it back to camp. After changing the fuel filter 3 times, cleaning the carb, and changed to a high flow fuel pump, I was still having the same problem. I was talking with another rhino owner, he told me to check the fuel line inside the tank.
Told me to unscrew the white plastic pick-up on top of the tank, pull it out and cut the fuel line at an 45 angle on the bottom, told me that it was sucking on the bottom of the tank and starving the carb.
I didn't think he was right, but figured what could I lose. I cut the line, and have not had a problem since. Don't know if thats wrong with yours, but just another thing to try.
Good luck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
that sure sounds like it could be my problem... mines ath the dealer right now but I'll get the dealer to try that its still under warranty.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wife picked me up a filter yesterday. $4 at the dealer. I put it on but haven't had a chance to run it yet (other than crank it up). I'll try to look at those other areas of concern mentioned too.

Thanks!!
Rodney

·
Registered
60 Posts
well I tried that altenator connector cleaning thing and still no difference.... the only thing left to change is the speed sensor.. ordering one monday..

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I put the fuel filter on and cleaned/oiled the airfilter. I ran it last night for 8 miles without a hiccup on the same gas.

·
Registered
60 Posts
have you had a chance to run it again??? just curious if it fixed your problem or not?? aor if youre in the same boat as me???

1 - 20 of 21 Posts