Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching the forums with regard to the ring gear bolts in the front differential backing out and ripping open the case. I also had the problem and just pulled my front differential out. One bolt was lodged in the side of the case. After opening the case but prior to removing the ring gear assembly I saw that every other bolt in the gear was spun at least half way out including one that was severely bent but still barely in place. At that point I just stopped the project. I have seen enough people on the forums with this problem and trying to deal with it that it seems this is a manufacturing or design defect to me. Is anyone aware of Yamaha doing a recall on this, or does anyone have any other information? I just bought my 2007 and I think I put it in four wheel drive maybe 2 or 3 times for a few minutes before this happened to me (usual gear oil on the floor of my garage one day). At the least I am going to have to buy both halves of the case to the tune of $250-400 depending on wear you look, $500-1000 if one were to replace the entire unit. Can I contact anyone at Yamaha to address this issue like a district manager for instance? Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
I dont know that it has been a big issue on stock motor rhinos, Most the folks I know that have had this issue is running Big HP or motor swapped rhinos. Like Court mentioned, stock front diffs are a dime a dozen, pick up a new one, pull it apart and tack weld all your ring gear bolts.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I had the same issue, Yamaha won't accept any respondsibilaty. So I went through the hassle of coming up with a process to rehab the cases. Then came to my senses and realised that there are plenty of used units residual from engine swap projects.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yea yamaha says it's not an issue on stock motored rhinos not seen one issue unless big hp motor

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to be clear mine is stock also. I appreciate that they are around and available obviously, this doesn't address the idea that my time and money still has to go into it. The fix sounds great, but since when should a guy have to preemptively pull apart a differential to spot weld the bolts inside it??? This would mean anybody with this model would be taking a risk not to do that. Not that simple for someone not so mechanically inclined hence another expense. Should all customers have to do this to avoid the breakdown and repairs?? Anyone else stock with the same problem it would be interesting to hear from you.

·
Registered
286 Posts
will the 700 frt diff fit the 660?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Mine ground up the case enough that it started leaking diff fluid.I locktite the bolts and welded the case half and am still running with no problems.I knew this was a problem and ignored it and it bit me.I recommend pulling the diff and taking care of the problem ahead of time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.