Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to the forum, I'm a newbie...

My 2006 rhino 660 has front diff lock stuck on, as in, its in 4x4 all 4 wheels. I have taken the servo apart, cleaned it, and checked prior to install. It did move into 4 wheel drive but didn't reset to 2 wheel. I took it apart again, reset the servo back to 2 wheel , this time I installed it on the machine and its still in 4x4. So....
..do I need a new servo
..With a new servo , will it reset the machine to 2 wheel
..will I have to dismantle the diff, unlock it, then put a new servo in.
Any help guys would be appreciated. I've already tried running it down the road, going backwards, etc, etc...

Nothing is unlocking it
Thank you

· Registered
893 Posts
Just don't want your post to go without a reply. Truth is I'm not really sure how to advise you as I have yet to come across that issue. It should be an electric servo that defaults to 2-wheel drive (just my thinking - someone correct me if I'm wrong). Could the switch be bad/shorted allowing constant power to the servo? What happens if you leave the electric leads off the servo - same thing?

· Administrator
2,281 Posts

My 2006 rhino 660 has front diff lock stuck on, as in, its in 4x4 all 4 wheels. I have taken the servo apart, cleaned it, and checked prior to install. It did move into 4 wheel drive but didn't reset to 2 wheel. I took it apart again, reset the servo back to 2 wheel , this time I installed it on the machine and its still in 4x4. So....
..do I need a new servo
Any help guys would be appreciated. I've already tried running it down the road, going backwards, etc, etc...

Nothing is unlocking it
Thank you
Happened to my Rhintax....I did the basic troubleshooting that confirmed the servo was bad....replacedit...worked great afterwards.

· Registered
3 Posts

..do I need a new servo

Nothing is unlocking it
Thank you
Is the relay working? My starter relay went bad so I swapped it with 4wd relay and it started but would go in 4wd

· Registered
193 Posts

..do I need a new servo

Nothing is unlocking it
Thank you
Typically if the servo is moving at all, (you said it moved to 4wd once just won't go back) it is good so you wouldn't need to replace that. I would bench test it to make sure. Here is a video on doing that. Yours is the 5KM servo.
If you find the servo is bad, we have all the 4wd parts for the machine here same day shipping. Products – 501 Parts.com Yamaha 4wd System Parts and Repair

What you do need to know is anytime you mess with or turn the servo outside the diff, you must re-time it to 2wd.
Here is a video of mine on how to time your servo.

Once you have the servo timed to 2wd, the switch has to be in 2wd, and the diff also. Push the slide gear in the diff all the way to the right, that will be 2wd. Each time you pull it out of mess with it, you have to make sure all three are synced before reinstalling.

For troubleshooting, it is easiest to leave the servo plugged in and let it dangle or rest on the frame. Don't bolt it to the diff until you get the issue fixed.

If the servo tests good, next is your relays. You have three on that machine. Two black ones that say Omron on the top (5DM relays )and one white one (29U relay). Test all three of these relays. You need a simple multimeter that will check ohms. See this video on how to do it. If they check bad, we have them.

If the relays are good, check the switch. See this video on that.

If it tests bad, you can try cleaning it. It does work sometimes.

After you've checked the servo, relays, and switch you are now down to a wiring issue somewhere in the harness. Sometimes you can wiggle it to find the problem area as you have a buddy press the switch in and out.

We have more troubleshooting info here and a service manual for your Rhino that you can download for free. Let us know if we can help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.