Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this will be a long post...you have the day off...so you have something to read....i took the rhino out the other day and found a long 200' water hole...but only about 1-2' deep..had fun..so a few days latter i sent the boys that way...they did a few laps and came home....the rhino had mud all over it...so yesterday a pulled it out and hosed the loose stuff off....drove up and down street and came home...i looked out ..and my front driving lights were on?...the switch was off?...i turned switch on then off again...and lights went out...i looked out side latter and they where on again?...did the same thing....i tryed my headlights...and they did not come on?...i tryed another switch on dash for my heater fan...and no go?...so i'm not sure whats going on?...3 differnt things?...1 water in switch for fogs...making contact?...fuse blew for headlight?..my heater is under drivers seat and was full of mud when i got it and in-op..would 1-2 feet of 100' foot water crossing get water under driver seat?....did i fry my heater fan again?....i'll pull the rhino out in a bit and start looking at stuff...i just disconected everything from battery last night and charged...its only 9am i need to wakeup before i go out

·
Registered
674 Posts
Something got wet, I would say fuse is not blown if fuse was blown lights would not be on. Give it a few days to dry out and I bet problem may be fixed, I seen stuff dry out a few days and problem doesn't exist anymore

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeh...but my headlights are stock...it has a fuse right?...that circut is untouched...and my headlights dont come on...my fogs are on there own...they where coming on with switch off...water inside switch or relay?...and you wouldent think a few water crossing would short out the stock headlights?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yeah it could be fuse, I didn't read the whole post. Look at your connections on the bulbs look for water in connection, water could have got in there shorted out and blow fuse..look at connections on switch as well. 1-2 foot of water isn't to deep but if it was hit fast it could splash water up and act like it was actually way deeper than it was

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i think the relay was from napa...little plastic black box...not sure if those are h2o proof?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
update...headlights work...the key was off....heater fan dont work...thats under drivers seat...not sure whats up with that?...that fan local might be bad for mudin...will have to look into sealing that area?....but my driving lights still turn on by them selves after 10 min?...eather wet inside switch or relay?.....my switches on dash are on far left by light switch...if you look to the back side of dash with hood closed...and look up there sqating down by front tire...looks like all of mud and water from tires will all fly up at back side of dash and your switches...has anyone came up with some sort of inner wheel well?....JBS?...mud blockers for frame by radiator...what about inner wheel wells?

·
Registered
197 Posts
lol @ the headlights!

You can build yourself a box that covers the backside of the switches. A buddy bought a UTV Inc switch and gauge panel that came with a rear box.

Cole-Hersee makes some nice waterproof switches, sealed to IP66. These are what I'll be using when I build my switch and gauge panel. Most auto-parts stores can bring them in for you.
http://www.colehersee.com/home/item/cat/11/58312-GA4/

In case you were wondering, here's info on the IP ratings (ingress protection ratings for dust and water).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ip_rating

If you ride in dust, deep water, or deep mud (or even rain where the switches are exposed), everything electrical that you add should have an appropriate IP rating or MIL-STD rating. Then you know that they're properly-sealed and you won't run into this issue later on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts