Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first orv. I purchased a 2006 rhino 660 without knowing a damn thing about them. I plan on just running around my property in AZ. And maybe through the desert near there. Not looking for performance looking for reliability. I want to do the basic maintenance at home before I drop it off at the ranch but I am confused. Wanted to change the air filter and it seems to have no air box? Guess PO modified it. Would it be better to change it back or just replace the current K&m filter. TIA lots of questions to follow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is my first orv. I purchased a 2006 rhino 660 without knowing a damn thing about them. I plan on just running around my property in AZ. And maybe through the desert near there. Not looking for performance looking for reliability. I want to do the basic maintenance at home before I drop it off at the ranch but I am confused. Wanted to change the air filter and it seems to have no air box? Guess PO modified it. Would it be better to change it back or just replace the current K&m filter. TIA lots of questions to follow. View attachment 65093
It looks like a K&N air filter or similar. I would just keep it clean regularly by following the instructions on the K&N website. Hose it out, use their cleaner, let it air dry and oil it with their oil. You can also get an outer filter to keep the larger particles off the filter. Filter Care Service Kit Aerosol

Good luck!

·
Registered
111 Posts
This is my first orv. I purchased a 2006 rhino 660 without knowing a damn thing about them. I plan on just running around my property in AZ. And maybe through the desert near there. Not looking for performance looking for reliability. I want to do the basic maintenance at home before I drop it off at the ranch but I am confused. Wanted to change the air filter and it seems to have no air box? Guess PO modified it. Would it be better to change it back or just replace the current K&m filter. TIA lots of questions to follow.

I would change it back and definitely get rid of that k&n filter. they let way too much dirt pass. They are designed for racing and flow a lot more are but also much more dirt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks got the filter cleaner and oil and thats done. Changing back to an airbox seems unlikely as i cant find an oem or even a used one. Next question is since i have a full roll bar and rear seats the bed will not tilt. How do i get to the spark plug? Then next would be the oil change but i can probably google that,..

·
Registered
2005 660
6 Posts
Oil change.

Pretty straight forward. Make sure you stuff a rag or paper towels under the oil filter real good or you will have a huge mess.

You may be able to access the spark plug by removing the clutch cooling duct. Worth a try before messing with the bed.

·
Registered
111 Posts
thanks got the filter cleaner and oil and thats done. Changing back to an airbox seems unlikely as i cant find an oem or even a used one. Next question is since i have a full roll bar and rear seats the bed will not tilt. How do i get to the spark plug? Then next would be the oil change but i can probably google that,..
Look in the Rhino Parts section on this forum for the air box. There are always people parting out rhinos and there is one guy who buys them to part them out on here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oil change.

Pretty straight forward. Make sure you stuff a rag or paper towels under the oil filter real good or you will have a huge mess.

You may be able to access the spark plug by removing the clutch cooling duct. Worth a try before messing with the bed.
thanks oil change was easy enough. Now spark plug.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts