Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok as you all know Im planning on getting a Rhino. I have never ridden one but have seen many of them in action. I was wondering what these things handle like in stock form ? When you got your Rhino did you guys take it out stock ? how did it handle ? would you let your wife or girlfriend take it out alone ? did it feel too tipsy ? did it feel gutless ? or did you have a blast and really enjoy it. See, Im planning on adding some mods, but in due time mostly because of the amount of money that you can throw into these things but I want to be able to enjoy it right away.....Come on guys give me your honest oppinions. Thanks in advance !

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
i wasnt impressed at all how it felt on the street, although it definitely felt better at speed.

On the dirt things can easily get away from you if you try to drive it like a car or quad. When I first got mine I had friends that either wanted to drive it OR wanted me to drive stupid with it. Dont pay attention to those friends, you will wreck if you succumb to peer pressure.

I did take it out in the dirt for some high-speed romps... but no jumps. Once I got my first set of tires I noticed a HUGE difference in handling over the stock tires.

After I got long travel I could powerslide at 35mph no prob, ... the wife also has driving it out at Glamis after I got long travel, she likes it but wants a rail for herself.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I'm not that far from you. My Rhino is a week old and already has 200 miles and about 16hrs. First impression was :D . It has plenty of power and speed for backroads, but it's not quick and the 42 mph top speed sucks if you want to get somewhere. I was a little uneasy with it being tippy at first. It will lift a tire if off camber but hasnt actually been scary. I have no imeadiate plans for performance mods. I have made my own A Arm skids from diamond plate. My quads of the past always got beat up there, so I think it's a good idea it your going to be in any rocks.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
In stock form it is a totally capable machine. I drove all over the place that first week. But you don't know any better, until you have the wheels and tire, suspension, cdi, etc. upgrades. I loved it out of the box. :D

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
CaptAZ-

If you want a better top speed just get a CDI for your Rhino, dont mess anyone with any brands other than Dynatek. You should be able to go between 49-55mph with the CDI installed. I have seen them on Ebay as cheap as $169

Sheave will also help your Rhino not "wind-out" the engine so much, it lets the belt shift in the RPM range better and gives you a higher top speed as well. 56-60 MPH with this mod added. RhinoCrap sells them for $85 I believe.

Both of you guys should invest in 4 or 5 point harnesses.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
oh, and fergie is right in stock form you can drive the heck out of it... I recently went on a ride through the dunes with KingGlamis from GD.com and WOW! He has a totally stock Rhino with just a CDI and man that guy can DRIVE! He was doing stuff that scared me with long travel, he knows how to transition in dunes and climb hills. Fun stuff!

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Mr. Off-Road said:
CaptAZ-

Sheave will also help your Rhino not "wind-out" the engine so much
I was looking at those on E-bay but they were about 200. They were supposidly a modified new yamaha part. Why the price difference?

My big thing is long term durability. I like the idea of the CDI/Sheave but what can I expect long term. Also what about bottom end torque?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
CaptAz said:
Mr. Off-Road said:
CaptAZ-

Sheave will also help your Rhino not "wind-out" the engine so much
I was looking at those on E-bay but they were about 200. They were supposidly a modified new yamaha part. Why the price difference?

My big thing is long term durability. I like the idea of the CDI/Sheave but what can I expect long term. Also what about bottom end torque?
I didn't really notice any gain in bottom end torque. The dunners clutch kit helped that though.

·
Registered
172 Posts
the prices on ebay are higher because there is no core. every one else wants your old one back or they will charge more for it too

G

·
I have a ton of Dynatek CDI's in stock if you guys need one.... I prefer to stay away from ebay but that's just me:)

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Brian B said:
First impression? Top heavy!!!!! lol

I drove the thing off the trailer in Glamis for its first trip and rolled it twice with less than 30 minutes on the clock!
Note to self........"Never let Brian drive my Rhino"! :p

·
Registered
28 Posts
Personally I think the stock Rhino is a blast to drive. It is very capable and while it feels top heavy and easy to tip at first that feeling goes away with a little time behind the wheel. Just don't get crazy at first and get a feel for it and you'll be grinning from ear to ear.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Brian B said:

I drove the thing off the trailer in Glamis for its first trip and rolled it twice with less than 30 minutes on the clock!
how? :shock:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
fergie80 said:
Brian B said:

WTF? I tried and tried to join the roll over club, it didn't happen.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Crwcompact said:
fergie80 said:
Brian B said:

WTF? I tried and tried to join the roll over club, it didn't happen.
me too, guess i need to use my right foot more

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.